Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Rumplestadt

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 07:40 PM
SCORPIO_2727

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rumplestadt

Thanks to gittarpikk I now have a fuselage plan for the R.C.M Rumplestadt. I've been trying to track down the plans for years now, with the intent of building another two. I'm still flying a Rumplestadt that I built some 25 years ago, 2 channel (elevator and rudder), an Enya .19 control line engine swinging a largish prop, and I still have a ball with this model. So relaxing to fly and in strong winds, hovers or flies backwards. A steerable tailwheel is a must as gone are the days where I chased the model across the flats when the u/c motor went off song or sagged. Mine has the built up wings, the top wing has a scollop at the centre rear for the rubber bands and the this wing is longer than the bottom. I treasure this little now rough jewel as much as any of my expensive scale model aircrafts. Hopefully the Rumplestadt will make a comeback in this day of prolific arf's. Guaranteed to cause enjoyment in model flying, and lets not forget the building.
Old 07-10-2009, 08:25 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Rumplestadt

Show us a pic. Doesn't show up in RCM plans. Are you sure about the source?
Old 07-10-2009, 08:57 PM
SCORPIO_2727

Hi, Buzzard bait. Yes, I'm sure of my source. The Rumplestadt came out in RCM in July 1970 something. My collection of model magazines start in 1977. The original plans were on microfisch but were damaged or destroyed. However, gittarpikk in another thread, was able to salvage and able to come up with the fuselage plans. He will soon have the wing plans. I'll pm Mike and ask him to post on this thread. Glen
Old 07-10-2009, 09:21 PM
gittarpikk

Hi Buzzardbait

My avitar (to the left) it a photoshopped picture of the only image I was able to find of the Rumplestadt on the internet. I don't think it is still coming up in searches anymore though.

I personally worked with someone at RCM to obtain the only thing they still had on the Rumplesatdt. ...which was a magazine reprint which included the fuselage plans (the plane was originally designed to use the Carl Golberg Ranger 42 foam wings to make building easy). The microfische they used to print the fullsize plans from was destroyed for some reason and they do not plan to bring the plane back nor offer any plans/reprints from it...which is sad...but we can ressurect it...and make variations of that great loveable Bipe.

There is actually two vertical tail outlines and decal schemes as well (plane was used in early WWI combat events at clubs in the 70's)

I was able to scan and clean up the small plans and upload them as a PDF file. Glen has copied the original wings dimensions and drew them and is sending them to me from Australia and I will get them scanned and also upload them so everyone can use them.

Will try to find the RCM reprint an upload it as well.
Old 07-10-2009, 09:56 PM
gittarpikk

Well....

I >thought< I had a scanned pdf of the 4 page RCM article....but I see I had only scanned the plans...and cleaned them up...BUT....I did find the 4 pages RCM sent me so Hopefully tomorrow I can scan then and upload them to the Adobe site like I did the plans and post the link to them.That will take up the remainder of the 5 free adobe conversions and I will not have any left for the wing. Maybe I had better go to the copy shop and have them converted to adobe there...and not use up the free conversions. I >may< be able to clean them up enough to just upload them to photobucket (lower resolution)and put the page here as an attachment(which makes more sense)... I'll "get it done" one way or another... I'd love to start seeing some pics as their built and flown.The article is pretty thorough and has some history in it....you'll get a good laugh reading it.

I am uploading the only pic I was able to find on the internet..and it is a good one for your wall!

Also I uploaded the text file record I had of when the actual RCM article ran and what file it was. The 2001 RCM plans simply skipped the plan 466 but 465 and 467 were in it.

I was extremely lucky I found it in a Google search and Google had the plan #....but that doesn't even come up now. Was lucky I remembered how the word Rumplestadt was spelled which was only reason I found it when I did.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78080.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	160.2 KB
ID:	1233560  
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Nj25669.txt (267 Bytes, 75 views)
Old 07-11-2009, 08:58 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks guys. I love those old sport designs for small engines and 3 channels. I checked my collection but I don't have 7/71. Do you need Adobe? I always just use my cheap printer which will make pdfs. Anyway, if you find a way to post I'll be interested. I've got a box full of engines in that size range. Jim
Old 07-11-2009, 09:32 AM
RFJ

The Rumplestadt came out in RCM in July 1970 something
RCM July 1971. Cute little thing isn't it

Ray

Name:	Pm35026.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	1233823   Click image for larger version

Name:	Je10921.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	1233824   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hm24373.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1233825  
Old 07-11-2009, 04:55 PM
gittarpikk

Ok fellows...heres what you can REALLY use... the reprints

I was also told today ...at a local club I just joined that they have a pict or two of the original club ...with Rumplestadt (s) from back in the 70's on their webpage history...so I may be able to nab those and post them as well.

Enjoy

Name:	Db86364.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	204.9 KB
ID:	1234035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ax73235.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	1234036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge94142.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	259.7 KB
ID:	1234037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12513.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	1234038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37998.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	142.1 KB
ID:	1234039  
Old 07-12-2009, 04:15 PM
gittarpikk

OMG....

One of the combat guys at the local club that flies SSC (slow survivable combat) got me going...

here is the text I wrote him...

Looks like I will have to draw this up (real simple) and post this for some more fun with this Rumplestadt..Yippeee!

quoted-

In 30 minutes , I designed a flat foam depron rumplestad bipe with
profile pilots and machine gun. What is unique is the (power pak)= landing gear ($1.50,)prop (.80) motor,($6.95), battery($7) esc($9) receiver ($15) and 2 servos ($3 each) all mount in a sandwich of 1/16 or 1/32 ply, 3 MM depron, and 1/16 or 1/32 ply and is a separate part that can be detached from the 3 mm depron fuselage/wing/tail assembly with 4 small bolts or pins and can be changed to a new fuse wing assembly in about 2 minutes with bolts or in seconds with some sort of pin latch.

What is super nice is that to go to a monoplane warbird, shockflyer, highwing mono trainer or Yak style fuse takes less than a minute..... so one would only need to build one power pak and say a half dozen planes that cost less than $2 each and would build from sheet plans in less than 5 minutes each using low temp hot glue.. What more could park flyer combat ask for???

I found a charger for about $20 that does great on lipos and one would need maybe 3-4 batteries at $7 each to last for several rounds....unless you just wante to take a chance and charge them faster at the field..

The whole rig minus transmitter costs less than the motor on the SSC... and is damage-disposable. I even designed in a landing gear/wheels that will take off short grass..;-)
Old 07-16-2009, 10:50 PM
gittarpikk

Lol...couple of things... I have been designing again....OMG!

As I described earlier...Now I have an almost finished ...I guess "didley" version (maybe this is what Glenn I believe meant)

Update: This I found, was a comment from Bob on another forum...my apology

of what i would call a "caracature"<sp?> of the Rumplestadt bipe...sort of a profile fuse with quickly removable nose which includes the motor, esc,receiver, battery, two servos and landing gear....WILL take off short grass..(you'll never believe what is used for tires...lol)

Intention is for use in very,very slow combat, cheap, manueverable, survivable by virtue of the entire last half of fuse, wings, tailfeathers are replacable as one complete unit in 2 minutes and that part buildable in one hour ....
whole plane including charger excluding transmitter is less than $90 with the replacable aft (the part that gets sawed/clobbered/chewed up-tell me that don't happen and I'll tell you you've never flown combat!) costing about $3-$5 in Depron (so ya can afford to build many spares while using spray bombs and markers to doll em up...or ger fancy with an airbrush)

This could be the airplane everyone could fly in combat....and there's more...the forsection as described earlier..(that contains all the flying parts less flying surfaces) is also interchangable with WWII warbird profile scenerios...and a third and forth respectively would be planes like the Yak or a high wing trainer. etc with the mid-low wingers having ailerons built into the wings and just plug up....

Pics forthcoming... this is a project born from this dear old Rumplestadt design

Now here ist the treat..

I found a site with great inexpensive pilots for this plane...whatever scale you need...and I also ran across a site for the machine guns...but lost it...maybe I'll run across it again...the guns were quite inexpensive for the detail. I >may< have been on a site like Dubro or Williams Bros ...I'll post it if I can find it if someone doesn't beat me to it

pilots
http://www.easybuiltmodels.com/spare.htm

Old 07-22-2009, 11:19 PM
gittarpikk

Ok Mates...here's a few that'll bring a tear..and a few that'll make ya laugh.... The 3/4 size Rumplestadt Electric....and My new design flagship of a new class of "disposable" super slow combat planes...Rumplestadt-Combat

Name:	Ax72735.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1242033   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zv67182.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	1242034   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95307.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	1242035   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sm28719.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1242036   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jg13999.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	1242037   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50977.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1242038   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb75603.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	1242039   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mg99016.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	1242040  

Old 07-23-2009, 08:16 AM
SCORPIO_2727

So the little Rumplestadt goes into aerial warfare some 90 years later. If I had my Rumplestadt rammed, chopped up etc, the other pilot would be wearing my t/x aerial, and it wouldn't be up his nose. The 3/4 looks cute, but then again it's a Rumplestadt. More so your full body version as I like my "models" to be full bodied. A play on words there for the broad minded. Well suited, I'd imagine, for very very slow combat with having the ability to fly/drift backwards in any breeze. That would throw the opposition off. I don't ever see myself flying very very slow combat as I'd throw the towel into the ring at the very first sign of my little, cute, Rumplestadt being interfered with. Has the wing plan arrived yet or is it still drifting across the Pacific somewhere? Glen
Old 07-26-2009, 01:51 PM
gittarpikk

Hi Glenn..

Got it! and much, much thanks... the shipping phase took a lick and the tube was bent nearly double...which wrinkled the plan but is easily salvagable.

I should be in the city the copy shop is around the first of the week...and I'll get it scanned. I can clean up everything in photoshop....but may have to make two trips to get the final copy converted to adobe so I can post it...

Took the combat foamie to an electric fly-in in Cookeville Tn over the weekend and it was a hit!..even in very windy conditions. Everyone loved it and wanted one....and so extremely affordable.

Took it that evening to the VAM club and everyone loved it and stated it flew so well. (I was doing slow lazy eights directly over the grass runway in about 20-30 feet length at approx chest altitude) the plane wouldn't stall or do any snap tendacy.It was extremely stable and predictable. The "full width" fuse 3/4 size was ready to maiden, but I did not want to decrease its survival percentages due to the higher winds...so that will come later.

If I had a fullsize Rumplestadt (.15 size), I too would be very hard to get along with if anyone got near it in the air...and will probably be the same with the 3/4 version.... The Rumplestadt is not "relegated" to battle, but instead will be the "cute" flagship of a whole series of combat (as well as other) disposable rc planes. Although I own the url (not hosted yet) will soon have the website up as the details of manufacture are worked out.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:22 AM
gittarpikk

Here is what its all about!... this is the 2nd flight and I had one of the fellows at VAM do the photographing.

Name:	Rp42602.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	1253747   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id97546.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	1253748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr41848.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	1253749   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fz73992.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	1253750   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wh57877.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	1253751   Click image for larger version

Name:	Iz38698.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	1253752  
Old 08-11-2009, 12:48 PM
WORNBOOTS
My Feedback: (33)

Hey Pikk'
The Rumplestadt's you have done above look awesome, very nice work on them.
Thanks for sharing, and please post the plans along as the website link when its done.

How would it be as a Parasol version???

Still thinking about the fridge

Dan z
Old 08-12-2009, 08:54 PM
dicknadine

could you EMail me the wing, tail surface's print, any size. no problem to enlarge to my size. its all done the old fashion way, pencil, triangles, calculator and who cares if it's off a little bit. [email protected]
Old 08-16-2009, 07:19 PM
gittarpikk

Hi Dicknadine
You can get that from RFJ's post... but I will upload what I have (a jpg file you can use paint to change size to whatever size you need, just figure what percent you nee larger and then pint it...it should tile print)

I am also providing a link here

https://share.acrobat.com/adc/docume...3-4ee0434b8663

for the original plan Glen drew and was scanned into an adobe file. The plan was just a slight bit crooked when scanned and I am doing a lot of cleaning up so we have a near perfect file of it. This file is the original wing for the Rumplestadt ( as Glen described in his past posts..)and not the Ranger 42 foam wing version

Also including a cleaned up version in jpg form of Glen's wing plan that can be opened with Paint and tile printed

Name:	Nl28257.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	200.5 KB
ID:	1257388   Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85069.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	1257389  
Old 08-18-2009, 10:29 AM
gittarpikk

Lookie what I found "abroad"... the concept is growing

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ht=rumplestadt

Name:	Om33196.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	1258498   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91337.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1258499  
Old 08-18-2009, 03:25 PM
gittarpikk

Here is what may be the "original" subject ....

Name:	Sq46814.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	1258715   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37259.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	1258716  
Old 08-18-2009, 09:44 PM
SCORPIO_2727

Mike, you're certainly keeping up to speed on Rumplestadt data. There are more Rumpleatadts out there than one imagines. Everyone who builds and flies one is impressed and passes on the word. That other thread you have just shown mentions Bunnings for balsa. Yes, we in the small city (25,000) where I live have found balsa in Bunnings. At 1/3 the price of that sold by the local toy store. Not contest grade but good enough. At the moment I'm on holidays so am having a hard time keeping up with this thread. It took me 3 days to find the only hobby store in this town (85,000) where I'm on holidays. Enjoying the holidays but still breaking my neck to get home and spread balsa dust around. Good thing balsa dust is not in the same class as asbestos or, after 55 years of modelling, I'd be pushing up daisies by now. Yes, there's a new Rumplestadt or 2, or 3, on my back burner. I'll make the new Rumplestadt to be the opposite gender to my old one, throw a sheet over them at night for privacy, and maybe I'll end up with lots of little "Rumplettes". And I always pick the runt of the litter.
Old 08-31-2009, 12:27 AM
freeair

i have 2 original Rumplestats sitting in the shed, these are both pro built from plans , one is fitted with an os 25 and the other an os 40 fs. any guys in australia interested in buying them please contact me as i can post these. by the way they are imaculate and never flown.
Old 09-04-2009, 07:33 AM
SCORPIO_2727

Mike, guess who here in Australia, has bought Freeair's 2 Rumplestadts in the post above. No prizes. Only 500 klms from me, still here in Queensland. And freeair could not be more helpful. Just goes to show that Rumplestadts were popular all those years ago. How many more are out there in sheds or attics. Not having to build the R/stadts from scratch saves me a lot of time.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:25 PM
gittarpikk

ORIGINAL: SCORPIO_2727

Mike, guess who here in Australia, has bought Freeair's 2 Rumplestadts in the post above. No prizes. Only 500 klms from me, still here in Queensland. And freeair could not be more helpful. Just goes to show that Rumplestadts were popular all those years ago. How many more are out there in sheds or attics. Not having to build the R/stadts from scratch saves me a lot of time.
Hi Glen

I don;t know why RCU didn't notify me of this post...looks like it was awhile back

I'm so glad a couple more of them found their way to a great environment...I know you guys will be having a blast flying them.

BTW I have found another one..built at the same time the one I ended up with was built...and I have an VERY old picture now showing three of them and their builders at the Volunteer Aeromodelers Field VAM in Knoxville around 1972-3 or so. I finally got to see one of the fellows that was flying at the field the first day I ever touched an R/C control stick (galloping ghost 3 channel). I took some great pics of the old Rumplestadt and got to see a lot od great pics of the history of the club field....and some pics of dear old modelers since passed.

Only thing I need is the cord to transfer the pics from my pic/phone to my computer as I didn;t have my camera with me....will get that soon and post them

We're having a club fun fly this saturday and I will be flying the Rumplestadt 3/4 electric then....and probably the little rump profile electric.

Almost have my 72" Aeronica Chief (3 pound Allup weight) ready...but may not get it finished in time.

Will post pics soon...good to hear from ya
Old 09-29-2009, 08:03 AM
SCORPIO_2727

Hi, Mike. The 2 Rumplestads I bought from freeair have been built and covered as by a professional model maker. Immaculate is not an understatement. While freeair was in the selling mood, I also bought Pilot kit of the Bucker Jumgmeister to be powered by a .40 four stroke- have just a little to do to get it up to flying status. Also an Auster 9, for a 60 to 70- four stroke, fuse built primed ready for the final wet and dry, the wing panels yet to be covered. And also a small old time, built/covered, ready for motor and radio installation. The builds and covering of all these models is exceptional. One of the Rumplestads has the wing and tail planes covered with Solartex. Very appropriateMind you, these 2 new Rumplestads make my 25 year old one look sad. But 3 Rumplestads, all mine, on the flight line. Glen
Old 09-29-2009, 08:51 AM
squeakalong
My Feedback: (8)

Mike, a question if I may: you mention you can take your file offering and enlarge it via "paint". Do you mean Paintshop? And how do you go about doing this, and what do I need to do so it will print in tile format? (I hate it when I have to ask "dumb...I'm computer challenged" questions ...)

Soft landings.

Joe

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.