Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Silk Covering Techniques

Old 01-28-2017, 01:16 PM
avionette

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hello
If i use Dharma trading silk 5mm on delicate structure to prevet warping, can i put weight over the wing? or when remove the weight will appear warping? after 2-3 hands of dope!

best regards
Old 01-28-2017, 02:35 PM
RBACONS
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If the silk shrinks too much, the structure will warp, whether or not you had weights on it while drying. You just won't know it until you take the weights off.
Old 01-29-2017, 05:57 AM
avionette

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by RBACONS View Post
If the silk shrinks too much, the structure will warp, whether or not you had weights on it while drying. You just won't know it until you take the weights off.
Can i resolve this problem if i will have problem giving the first coat of dope tautening and the last 2 coat not tautening?

Last edited by avionette; 01-29-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:51 AM
VampeD4
My Feedback: (80)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by DReigard View Post
What happened to covering models with silk ? I'm building the Spook 96" with parts from Klarich and plan to cover in white silk and paint the trim only. I'd like to see this thread as a tips thread for covering with silk. I'll post pictures and details of my covering job when I get there and hope anyone else who uses silk will post pictures with details of thier model and techniques they used. I'm afraid this is on the verge of being a lost art because you rarely hear about it being used anymore. I hope to learn a few pointers and hopefully someone else will too. When you hear about someone covering with silk does it sound kind of mysterious ? If so, then thats a good reason for this thread.

Question 1 - after getting the silk on around the edges how many coats can be applied over the open areas before sprayed coats go on so as to not see brush marks ? Or, do all the coats get sprayed on ?

Thanks for taking the time here folks !
Old 02-10-2019, 04:30 PM
wetbird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default using silk on floatplanes?

Originally Posted by VampeD4 View Post
Hello guys, So how does silk work with floatplanes. I've been using Coverite for years, I love the stuff, it never comes loose or wrinkle of course using it on top of Balsarite. But now it seems I can't find any Cub Yellow 21st Century Coverite, since I'm building and near to completion, I need to find a good covering and paint that will work well with being on water for years.
My question is: Will silk wrinkle or come loose after a year or so on the water. I have seen all kinds of coverings on floatplanes that look terrible after a year or so flying off water. I need the best, please help me.
Thank you.
Old 02-10-2019, 04:54 PM
VampeD4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

use silk. and auto paint in whatever color you like. you can get the silk off ebay. and the dope from sig. https://sigmfg.com/ sig has paint as well. silk will not come lose or wrinkle.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:22 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just make sure you fill and seal it real well. I'd go so far as to slop some dope on the internal structure of the model. Seal the wood up against moisture.
Old 02-11-2019, 09:52 AM
wetbird

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default using silk on floatplanes?

Originally Posted by Appowner View Post
Just make sure you fill and seal it real well. I'd go so far as to slop some dope on the internal structure of the model. Seal the wood up against moisture.
Thank you Appowner & VampeD4! Vamped4, I'm watching your video right now, it's bringing back old memories from my teen years, when I was building U-Control balsa airplanes.
Question: Is Silk & Silkspan the same thing? Filling & Sealing would that be just doping the completed plane and is it sand able when dry? Also doping inside & outside completely, making it more waterproof and letting it dry before starting with the silk covering? I don't think I'll have any problems doing this, I'm almost ready to cover my Sig J3 Cub on floats, all my planes are float planes, but I've always used 21st Century Coverite with the planes covered with Balsarite before covering, now I can't find the Coverite I need!
Think you for your help

Gerry
Old 02-11-2019, 11:55 AM
VampeD4

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally Posted by wetbird View Post
Thank you Appowner & VampeD4! Vamped4, I'm watching your video right now, it's bringing back old memories from my teen years, when I was building U-Control balsa airplanes.
Question: Is Silk & Silkspan the same thing? Filling & Sealing would that be just doping the completed plane and is it sand able when dry? Also doping inside & outside completely, making it more waterproof and letting it dry before starting with the silk covering? I don't think I'll have any problems doing this, I'm almost ready to cover my Sig J3 Cub on floats, all my planes are float planes, but I've always used 21st Century Coverite with the planes covered with Balsarite before covering, now I can't find the Coverite I need!
Think you for your help

Gerry

i replied to you on utube.