Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Silk Covering Techniques

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Silk Covering Techniques

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 06:34 AM
bem
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Silk Covering Techniques

Hi,

Anyone using Skyloft these days?
I see Dave Brown Products have it even today and Tower Hobbies sell it also:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXB896&P=8

In 1970th we used Skyloft alot in our club, mostly on pattern planes that had no open areas. We found out the hard way that if used on open areas it was easy to get punctures. I do not know if Skyloft is better these days regarding punctures. Here is two of my pattern planes that I buld and flew very much in 1970th that was covered with Skyloft, doped and painted with 2-component Polyuretane (Interlux, named "Perfection" these days)fuelproof paint. It is actually paint for boats and is expensive paint.

/Bo
Old 04-23-2012, 06:45 AM
bem

Deleted (double post)
/Bo
Old 04-23-2012, 06:45 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I weighed Skyloft and found it to be heavier than Sig Koverall. It looks light, but it isn't. It is MUCH heavier than Polyspan or silk. It's advantage is that it is cheap. Check the bottom of an overstuffed chair sometime and see if the material looks familiar. It also has to be applied wet, and then it shrinks. You have no control over shrinkage as you do with Polyspan and Koverall. On strong frames it will be fine, but if anything can twist, it probably will. It caved in the ribs at the end of my BUSA Stingray wing. You did an amazing job of filling and finishing it. I think it is the worst material I have used in 50 years of modeling.

Jim
Old 04-23-2012, 06:52 AM
bem

Hi,

I did not know that Skyloftwas that bad. It was cheap andone of the reason we used it. I stopped using it many years ago. I was surprisedit was sold even today. So can we say for sure that Dave Brown Products Skyloft is the same Skyloft that was produced back in the 1970th? Just so we no not write itis as bad now as it probably was backin 1970th unless that is actually true.
I could not see the weight of Skyloft in the product description: https://www.dbproducts.com/downloads...kyl_header.pdf

/Bo
Old 05-08-2012, 07:15 AM
countilaw

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here are a few tips to add:

Duplicolor paint that you get at most auto parts stores is a lacquer based paint. They make a lot of beautiful colors, BUT stay away from them. The dry brittle and will crack very easily. The automotive gray lacquer pimer is a good filler, dries fast and sands easy. You can thin it with lacquer thinner and brush it on using a camel hair brush. It is sandable in about an hour.

You can also make your own filler. Mix some "unscented" talcum powder in your clear dope. Brush it on and sand it off. If you are not planning to use a color top coat, do not use filler. Just use clear dope by applying two coats and let it dry. I usually use unthinned dope for the first three coats and then start thinning it a little more with each coat there after. By the time I am at the final coat, the dope is more thinner than dope.

3M makes two types of tape for painting trim. They are called 3M Fine Line. There is a green and a blue. The green is great for straight lines and the blue is for curves. This tape will not let the paint seep under it, and it peels off easily. You can get this at any automotive paint supply store such as Finish Masters, English Color, or Dupont.

and the last I have today is, The finer grit sand paper you use, the better the finish will be. And remember, when sanding, you are just smoothing out the brush marks in the paint. Each time you apply a coat of dope, it will soften the last coat you applied, even if it was applied ten years prior.

Frank
AMA # 5810

Old 09-01-2012, 05:32 AM
avionette

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello

sorry limited english

have never tryed to paint a model after dope, with 2 component paynt? (catalyst+ paynt) i know there is acrylic and poliurethane paynt, i want to paynt a ww1 model, but i do not whant use clear fuelprof, i like a paynt 100% fuelresistent
Old 09-13-2012, 11:41 AM
avionette

how come no one replying to this important question for tissue material etc? one example : Mick Reeves company have epoxy paynt, i know the epoxy glue is fuel resistent, if try i to thin epoxy clear paynt like dope? and then the final hand with color etc.... i think this paynt need a test? or i'm dreaming impossible things?

regards!
Old 09-14-2012, 06:26 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

I don't think anyone really understands what question you are asking, or you are asking far too large a question to be answered in any forum. If you are asking to be educated on all the nuances of materials and techniques, there is not enough room here.

Les
Old 01-31-2013, 07:24 AM
fritzke

Posted some video of my dad creating his own sealed silk (using WBP)
and ironing it on....thought you guys may be interested in his procedure.

Basically he squeegees WBP into light silk on glass and peels it off, irons it on.
The prep of the silk is pretty much covered in video #1 and 2, videos 3-5 show
him covering with it which I'm sure most of you can handle already.

http://www.youtube.com/user/HappyRCDude

Dave
Old 03-19-2013, 04:53 PM
itsarvninea

I've just read the comments to this post on silk covering techniques. After 45 years I'm getting back into control line flying and I'm building a Ringmaster Junior to allow my Grandson to have his first flying experience this summer he'll be 6 years old.

I'm having problems getting the silk to tighten. I purchased silk from a fabric store and burn tested it to verify it is all natural silk. I wet the silk, applied Sig Butyrate to the wing surfaces than applied and stretched the silk tight. Once the edges dried  I trimmed the waste using a exacto knife then carefully applied the Clear Butrate to the wing. As the silk starts to dry it sags and does not remain tight. I tried applying a second coat of Butrate with no luck. I tried heating the silk using a hair dryer, this results in the silk tightening but then relaxes and sags. I tried using a Acetone thinner 2:1 ratio clear dope to thinner with no luck. I let the wing dry over night - no improvement. The can of Sig Butyrate I purchased says "Lite-Coat" Low -Shrink  Butrate. I also tried Nitrate and did not have any better results, The nitrate instructions indicate it should be used only to prime the wood surfaces and not to apply silk because it has "controlled shrinkage".  I'm confused years back we used Aero gloss on silk, nylon, old silk scarves with great results. The wings would always tighten like a drum. What;s wrong here? I've read that Sig has made some changes to their product, am I using the wrong clear dope? Is there a High Shrink Rate dope available. Has anyone experienced this same problem.

Steve
Old 03-20-2013, 06:45 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

Fortunately, or unfortunately, Dope comes in 4 flavors; Nitrate: taughtening and non-taughtening. Butyrate: taughtening and non-taughtening. Depends on what you have, how it will react. From Sig, it could be almost anything.

Silk from a fabric shop will frequently be pre-shrunk, so the seamstress does not have to be concerned about doing themselves.

Les
Old 03-20-2013, 06:00 PM
itsarvninea

Les,

Thanks for the response I talked to Sig today they recommended I purchase the Super Coat instead of the Lite Coat I used because it has a higher shrink rate. They also would not respond to the compatability of using Acetone as a thinner but only recommended using their thinner. Am I on the right track with this Sig product? I'll check out if the silk i have is pre shrunk.

Thanks,

Steve
Old 03-21-2013, 06:38 AM
LesUyeda
Banned

"Acetone as a thinner but only recommended using their thinner. "

Like everything else, not all lacquer thinner is created equal. I tried to use some Home Depot stuff; ONCE. Almost ruined my best, antique, irreplaceable camel's hair brush.

For a few dollars, why risk it?

Les
Old 03-21-2013, 02:04 PM
itsarvninea

Les,

I agree why risk ruining something to spare a few dollars. I've ordered Sig's Clear Coat they recommend, more of the paint I will need and some of their thinner. Stopped back at the fabric shop today to ask about the silk I bought last weekend. Turns out the silk which is colored has been pre shrunk when they dyed it. This is probably contributing to the looseness problem I experienced. Where do you recommend going to purchase plain white silk for use in covering models. Any thoughts as to where the best source and cost is?

Steve
Old 03-21-2013, 02:15 PM
fritzke

I use the 5mm Hobotai for smaller models from:

http://www.thaisilks.com/index.php?c...omhrq5lvckn2o5

8mm-12mm may be more appropriate for larger planes.

And Dharma Trading:

http://www.dharmatrading.com/fabric/silk/habotai.html

"Also known as "china silk" this is the classic silk fabric you see used in all kinds of projects. This silk fabric has a soft and supple hand and a lustrous sheen. Perfect for beginners and students as it is economical and has a smooth surface so lends itself to all painting techniques. Great for scarves, pillows, linings, banners, flags etc. Available in 5 weights and 6 widths!"

Dharma sells dyes too.

Dave

Momme (pronounced ''mommy'' and abbreviated ''mm'') expresses the weight in pounds of a piece of material of size 45 inches by 100 yards. So, for example, a 50 yd. bolt of our 5mm 45'' Habotai Silk fabric (#HS545) would weigh 2.5 lbs. (plus the weight of the cardboard tube it is wrapped around, of course).
The higher the momme, the heavier and stronger the fabric. Anything above 28 momme is considered heavy-weight and generally used for curtains or heavier outer-garments. Silk under 20 momme is considered lightweight, and generally used for light blouses with a chiffon feel. Medium-weight silk (20 to 28 momme) is excellent for silk scarves, furnishings, wedding dresses and the ultimate luxury of silk sheets.'' Dharma Trading.

So, if I do the math right, 1 sq. yard of 5mm silk weighs about 2/3 ounce

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=63122
Old 05-07-2015, 04:16 AM
avionette

Default silk habothai shrinking problem

Hello sorry limited english
I'm covering my fuselage with silk 5mm from Dharma Trading, (ok with water it is shrinked) then for the first hand i used thinned butyrate dope and it is not shrinked after 3 weeks.
How long should i wait to see it tense/shrinked.......please need help i'm desperate

Originally Posted by pd1
Here's a couple of things I've found out about silk and dope.

Nitrate can't be applied over butyrate. It will react and ruin your finish.
Nitrate is very flammable compared to butyrate.
Nitrate has a little better adhesive qualities compared to butyrate.
Nitrate requires additional fuel proofing.
Nitrate stops shrinking after a couple of days.
Butyrate shrinks for a long, long time.

Covering. I don't use nitrate anymore, personal preference, so to increase the adhesiveness of the butyrate I coat the bare structure with butyrate until the wood picks up a shine.

Then apply my silk. Spray the silk with water and get the wrinkles out.
I use a lot of thinner with just a little dope to stick the silk.
The thinner passes through the silk and softens the dope underneath sticking the silk down.

If you accidentally get some of the thinned dope on the silk, there is not enough dope to curl the silk.
Thick dope will curl the silk as it drys.

Using dope while the silk is still wet will cause the dope to blush. It will actually turn white.
Let all the water dry off the silk before doping too much.

If it is a day with high humidity, the dope may blush again. A couple of drops of retarder will stop that.
Sig sells retarder in small bottles.

If you hold a wing horizontal while doping, especially with dope that hasn't been thinned a lot, the dope will drip through and make an ugly ''ring'' on the other side of the wing.

To avoid that when doing wing panels, just use very thin dope and hold the surface vertical.
The thinned dope will not leave a ring, and if the panel is vertical the dope will stay on the side you are doping.
On the last couple of coats of clear I add a couple of drops of Castor oil to the clear dope. It will act as a plasticizer and will slow dope from drying out over a long time.

Silk. I've found that there are at least two different silks that shrink different from each other.
The silk from Thai silk seems to be pre shrunk and doesn't shrink much if at all after covering.
This is good for delicate structures.

http://www.thaisilks.com/product_inf...22fba3399425a4

The silk I like from there is the 5mm 021F-000 Habotai.

If you want silk that shrinks more, the silk from Dharma Trading is for you.
It's great for stronger structures.

http://www.dharmatrading.com/html/eng/3374-AA.shtml

I use the 5mm. HS536 or the HS545 same but 45 inches wide.

I've found the 5mm silk is lighter than any other covering, including tissue and the weave is so tight that it doesn't take much clear to fill.

Before you ask,mm is not milimeters. ''MM is Momme.
Momme (pronounced ''mommy'' and abbreviated ''mm'') expresses the weight in pounds of a piece of material of size 45 inches by 100 yards. So, for example, a 50 yd. bolt of our 5mm 45'' Habotai Silk fabric (#HS545) would weigh 2.5 lbs. (plus the weight of the cardboard tube it is wrapped around, of course).
The higher the momme, the heavier and stronger the fabric. Anything above 28 momme is considered heavy-weight and generally used for curtains or heavier outer-garments. Silk under 20 momme is considered lightweight, and generally used for light blouses with a chiffon feel. Medium-weight silk (20 to 28 momme) is excellent for silk scarves, furnishings, wedding dresses and the ultimate luxury of silk sheets.'' Dharma Trading.

5 mm silk is extremely light.
A sheet 45 inches wide by 300 feet long would only weigh 5 pounds.

Drying out and rot. Unless you leave the silk in direct sunlight, the silk won't rot.
What actually happens over time the dope becomes hard and brittle. The silk is saturated with the dope and when the dope cracks, so does the silk.
I just started removing silk that was applied 40 years ago. The silk is fine, the dope isn't.

Silk has a "grain" to it. It usually has a finished edge on one side of the piece. The grain is parallel to that edge.
Run the grain spanwise on a wing across the ribs.
If you run the grain chordwise, with the ribs, the silk will pull down between the ribs and look odd.
Silk shrinks more with the grain than across it.

If you thin dope sufficiently, and use a good brush, it will not leave brushmarks.
I use a camels hair brush, most hobby shops carry them.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:46 AM
buzzard bait

Les wrote something very important...there are tautening dopes and non-tautening dopes, and that is true of BOTH nitrate and butyrate.

I think Sig gave good advise about the butyrate. Litecoat has an additive to make it non-tautening. Unfortunately Sig does not say as much as you might like. Is Supercoat entirely free of non-tautening additive, or just less than Litecoat? They don't say. And their nitrate says nothing at all.

Thai Silks pre-shrinks all their silk. I thought that Dharma did not shrink the white silk. In any case, by the procedure below even pre-shrunk silk will work if you start with tautening nitrate, but barely. I have not tried Sig Supercoat as the initial coats.

Avionette, I'm sorry to hear of your problem, but it might not be fixable at this point. The only hope would be if Wick's or Aircraft Spruce has something that tautens (tightens) more than Sig Supercoat. You could try their tautening butyrate and add three more coats to see what happens. Three coats is not very much, so more coats might help.

Jim

My experience with Thai Silks, 8 mm Habotai, was this:

1) Purchased TAUTENING nitrate dope from Wick's Aircraft Supply. They sell tautening and non-tautening, clearly labelled.

2) Doped structure with tautening nitrate.

3) Applied Habotai silk wet, getting it as tight as I could.

4) After drying, doped with thinned tautening nitrate, three coats. It worried me at first, but after a day of drying it was tight enough. Not super tight, but it looked and felt good.

5) After 3 coats of tautening nitrate, 3 coats of Sig Supercoat. I should have used a couple more.
Old 05-07-2015, 06:56 AM
avionette

thank you buzzard bait......yes maybe because the can istruction say medium shirinking i will buy nitrate shrinking dope
Old 05-07-2015, 06:57 AM
buzzard bait

The result was good on my Four Star 60 at first, but some fuel has penetrated the covering in some places, so it needed more coats. However, even with some fuel getting into the weave, it has held up extremely well for several seasons of flying. No punctures. I shredded the plane through a power line a few years ago; that finally tore some silk. I got the plane back together and patched the silk and it's a great plane. Final weight was 7 lbs even, which is lighter than everyone else's. Photos below, and more in my Gallery. Jim
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1226.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	801.1 KB
ID:	2094486   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1258.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	2094487   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1271.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	2094488   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1280s.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	195.6 KB
ID:	2094489  
Old 05-07-2015, 07:10 AM
avionette

thank you beautifull plane!!!
Old 05-07-2015, 07:59 AM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Its been many years since I last used silk or other fabrics and dope but I used a lot of it during that time. While I used quite a bit of the SIG dopes, I much preferred the commercial products such as Randolph. The commercial / full scale products always produced more repeatable and reliable results and usually at a lower cost per plane though I had to buy in larger than hobby quantities. Some of the dope companies have gone away over the years but I believe the full Randolph line is once again available. All dope is expensive so a guy does want to get the best performance for his hard earned $$.
Old 05-07-2015, 11:15 AM
buzzard bait

Avionette, thank you for the compliment. However, do not try to put nitrate over the butyrate you already have on the silk. It will lift. Get Tautening Butyrate dope to put over the Supercoat. I hope it works for you.

Truckracer, yes, I save money buying from Wick's. Also, I understand red Sig is more of a dye than a pigment, whereas Randolf is a pigment and covers better.

But dope is expensive either way, especially with the reducers you have to use, and the toxicity is a bad thing too. I'm planning on Nelson/System 3 paint for the future, however that would not work with silk unless I started with several coats of nitrate; then I think System 3 water based paint would go over it fine.
Old 05-07-2015, 12:35 PM
Truckracer
My Feedback: (19)

Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by buzzard bait

Truckracer, yes, I save money buying from Wick's. Also, I understand red Sig is more of a dye than a pigment, whereas Randolf is a pigment and covers better.

Yes, that has been my experience also regarding the red SIG dope. Covers poorly! Frankly, none of the dopes work as well as they did years ago when the pigments were lead based. About the only colors that really cover well these days are some of the blues, white and black. The other colors are very transparent in varying degrees and require many coats for full coverage. One has to be very careful to have a solid base color such as silver or white before applying the color coats.
Old 05-21-2015, 07:55 PM
mightyhorn

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow! This looks similar to Jerry Nelson's Sultan, except it's a twin.
Old 05-28-2015, 04:34 AM
avionette

Originally Posted by buzzard bait
Les wrote something very important...there are tautening dopes and non-tautening dopes, and that is true of BOTH nitrate and butyrate.

I think Sig gave good advise about the butyrate. Litecoat has an additive to make it non-tautening. Unfortunately Sig does not say as much as you might like. Is Supercoat entirely free of non-tautening additive, or just less than Litecoat? They don't say. And their nitrate says nothing at all.

Thai Silks pre-shrinks all their silk. I thought that Dharma did not shrink the white silk. In any case, by the procedure below even pre-shrunk silk will work if you start with tautening nitrate, but barely. I have not tried Sig Supercoat as the initial coats.

Avionette, I'm sorry to hear of your problem, but it might not be fixable at this point. The only hope would be if Wick's or Aircraft Spruce has something that tautens (tightens) more than Sig Supercoat. You could try their tautening butyrate and add three more coats to see what happens. Three coats is not very much, so more coats might help.

Jim

My experience with Thai Silks, 8 mm Habotai, was this:

1) Purchased TAUTENING nitrate dope from Wick's Aircraft Supply. They sell tautening and non-tautening, clearly labelled.

2) Doped structure with tautening nitrate.

3) Applied Habotai silk wet, getting it as tight as I could.

4) After drying, doped with thinned tautening nitrate, three coats. It worried me at first, but after a day of drying it was tight enough. Not super tight, but it looked and felt good.

5) After 3 coats of tautening nitrate, 3 coats of Sig Supercoat. I should have used a couple more.
Hi buzzard bait
After 3 coats the silk will absorbs a lot of paint?, i will paint with brush and i'm afraid to exceed with weight....thank you in advance

Last edited by avionette; 05-28-2015 at 04:36 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.