Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Carl Goldberg Sr Skylark

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Carl Goldberg Sr Skylark

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 05:53 AM
BobHH
My Feedback: (18)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Carl Goldberg Sr Skylark

Gene, Flying Models has expresse an interest. Model Aviation has not returned my inquiry but seeing how its not an electric ARF I can see why!! Bob, I'll wait to hear back from you. I want to talk with Ed Sweeney but would like to see his article first so I can be prepared with questions.

Bob Harris
Old 03-14-2010, 03:42 PM
Johnkpap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Bob

You could try contacting the two UK Mag's

I Built a number of SNR Falcon's:- a Snr Skylark looks just great

RCM&E

http://www.modelflying.co.uk/

AMI

http://www.aviationmodeller.com/

Regards

Johnkpap
Old 05-03-2010, 09:19 PM
tweedy
My Feedback: (1)

Bob

Thank's for sending me that drawing of the Mambo gear. Any news on the Sr. Skylark kit? I still want one if not the kit then plans? Dave Platt got a set. Is he special? Well maybe he is. ;-)

Richard Browning
Old 04-22-2012, 10:25 AM
sean sweeney
My Feedback: (8)

I was just showing my two boys some of my old kits and projects I have to restore. One of them is an old SR. Skylark my dad gave me. I was explaining how it came to be, and that my dad (Ed Sweeney) was involved in building two of them for Carl Goldberg. My dad rebuilt this one in the 80's for me to fly, but the day he went out and test flew it, he was having so much fun with it that he got a little "creative" and it went through some sage brush. Took 2/3rds of the left wing off! I started to rebuild it in the 90's, but wanted to do it electric as that is all we fly anymore. With brushed motors and NiCad batteries it really was impractical so it went back on the shelf.

We were doing a search on line and this thread came up....

To answer some of the questions about it, (I know this is an old thread!). The wing is directly from the Sr Falcon kit. The first version had the full span strip ailerons plus 12" long split flaps in the wing. Then the strip ailerons were removed and replaced with large 1/4 span ailerons and 1/4 span flaps. The flaps have about a 2" cord, and the ailerons taper from 2" to about 1" at the tip. This gives it the double taper to the wing.

If I can find a Sr Falcon wing for it I'll restore it, convert it to electric with a dummy glow motor. If anyone wanted to build one I can post pictures. It used the wing and tail from the SF, and I think the fuselage sides. It uses a large balsa block for a shaped fuse top that has been hollowed out and a swept fin/rudder. The flaps and ailerons are shaped from some 1/4" ish sheet balsa.

It is a neat old plane, I look forward to flying it with my dad, and my boys someday!

Old 04-22-2012, 02:31 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Attention BobHH;

Greetings from the very warm 'Valley of the Sun'.

On the previous page you mentioned the Ed Sweeny, Skylark article published in AAM sometime in '65>66. I checked my personal magazine archives for those years, simply by looking at the front index for both articles and then by Author. Could not find said article. Please note: In both years AAM was pubished bi-monthly, like 6 issues per year, Jan-Feb, Mar-Apr....and so on; I was missing 2 issues: May-June 65, and Jan-Feb 66, so maybe someone else out dere in the vast net-id could check these 2 issues and maybe find said article.

D''d''Dat's all for now folks, best regards from sunny Glendae, Arizona,

Joe Nagy.
Old 04-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Here is Dave's Senior Skylark at Toledo 2012.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30829.jpg
Views:	579
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	1753705   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tp45985.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	1753706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40765.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	1753707  
Old 04-22-2012, 06:54 PM
rcacro

Here is another pic of Dave's model taken at his home in Florida. Thisis a replica of the modelI flew in the Nat's in the60's.
I,not Dave am holding the model.

John Wisniewski
Scottsdale, Az
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29542.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	1753839  
Old 04-22-2012, 08:01 PM
crigotti
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: rcacro

Here is another pic of Dave's model taken at his home in Florida. This is a replica of the model I flew in the Nat's in the 60's.
I,not Dave am holding the model.

John Wisniewski
Scottsdale, Az
Nice to have a face to your name John.
All the best,
Crist