Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Veron 50 inch tiger Moth Kit

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Veron 50 inch tiger Moth Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 06:39 AM
Johnkpap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Veron 50 inch tiger Moth Kit

At this years model club Swap meet I was lucky enough to purchase a early 1970's vintage Veron 50 inch Tiger Moth kit.

Has any one else built from this kit ?

It is a very high Quality British Kit with good instructions an very detailed plans and included a booklet with scale drawings of the plane, I has very nice molded plastic
cowl and detailed parts they even included a pair of wheels. It is almost too nice......but to build it would be very enjoyable.

My first question is that the instructions state that this is designed flowen with 3 channels ??? but Ailerons could be added but are not showen on the plan.

Should I add ailerons ? I suspect this is due to the early radio equipment of the time.

Has any one flowen one with 3 chanels ???

I haven't seen a nice small scale kit like this for some time it is very much like a "Pilot" Japanese kit from the 1980's but with a touch of English class

As far as I can findout this was one of the Largest and most expensive kit Veron made so it is I suspect rather rare.

Thanks in advance

I will post photos soon

Johnkpap
Old 03-08-2010, 09:40 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Veron 50 inch tiger Moth Kit

As for heritage, I think so too. I sort of seem to remember that Hobby-Shack out of south Orange County in California bought the rights for the Moth back in the 1970's. The kit was brought in to the USA from Asia in an all wood system, then eventially converted over to use of foam.

I think they also brought in a Spitfire and some other A/C. All of similar materials and construction evolution.

Wm.
Old 03-08-2010, 12:49 PM
psuguru

ORIGINAL: Johnkpap

At this years model club Swap meet I was lucky enough to purchase a early 1970's vintage Veron 50 inch Tiger Moth kit.

Johnkpap
You Lucky, Lucky...........

Mint Veron kits like that go for hundreds of pounds in the UK.

If you are going to put ailerons on it, I'd suggest doing a bit of research on the Tiger to get the details right.

This was from the era of single channel escapements and reed multi sets, so I suspect that it will be fine without ailerons. (If you build it straight!)
Old 03-08-2010, 02:46 PM
Johnkpap

Thanks for the input

I have added some pics

This is a amazing kit, I have never seen one with this amount of plan detail and documentation included in the kit.

The radio equipment showen in the plan looks like early proptional equipment

All the wood looks in great shape, the plans look like new, this is going to be very plesant to build.....don't expect a build thread too soon, I have a number of
other projects to finish first.

Johnkpap
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz78510.jpg
Views:	318
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	1393579   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf13300.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	1393580   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv54004.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	290.6 KB
ID:	1393581   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hb80538.jpg
Views:	465
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	1393582  
Old 03-08-2010, 02:49 PM
Johnkpap

I don't know what happend with the pics ???[]
You need to scroll right to see all

Johnkpap
Old 03-09-2010, 05:13 AM
RFJ

John,

This kit review of the model from the August 1980 RCM&E may be of interest. Given the equipment available today I would definitely go the ailerons/micro servo route and probably also use electric power.

Ray

Name:	Zx71686.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	468.1 KB
ID:	1394306   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wb76420.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	397.5 KB
ID:	1394307  
Old 03-09-2010, 09:25 AM
psuguru

ORIGINAL: RFJ

John,
This kit review of the model from the August 1980 RCM&E may be of interest. Given the equipment available today I would definitely go the ailerons/micro servo route and probably also use electric power.
Ray
£43 in 1980!!
EEEK!
I only earned £110 a week at that time!

note well the comments about overpowering. I would have thought that an FS40 would be at the top end of the power scale for this model.
Regards,
Carole Sherrington

Old 03-09-2010, 06:10 PM
Johnkpap

Hi all

Thanks for the RCM&E review Ray, I have been looking in my 1970 Mag collection which is far from complete.

From the review a 30-40 Four stroke would be a good choice of power.

I think cuting a big hole in the cowl for a big muffler looks cheap and nasty.

I am not a real fan of Electric models:-> I think a nice small small OS or a Saito would be the go.

Two small Servos in the wings would be better than just rudder.

Thanks for the suport

Johnkpap
Old 05-01-2010, 11:16 AM
electricpete

I have opened my Veron 50" Tiger Moth Kit and don't want to spoil it so I have copied the ribs and just started one wing this afternoon. I would love to see the review. Can I bee nosey and ask how much you had to give for it. I have had quite a look at the plans and instruction, but am not sure how to hold on the top wing.

Peter
Old 05-01-2010, 12:49 PM
John 38

In his list, Phil Smith quotes " even down to an OS26 4st " but I would go with the 40 4st.

If you want the advice of the man himself - tel no is UK 1202 433 431 - but remember the time difference.

He was active last year and I have heard nothing so no news is good news.

attachment page is from his plans list - runs to 14 pages - of KK,Mercury,Veron and other plans - list slightly out of date but prices wont have moved much

john

Name:	Xv64630.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	309.8 KB
ID:	1428892  
Old 05-02-2010, 06:41 AM
Johnkpap

Hi Peter,

Yes you can be Nosey, I had to part with $250.00 Aussie ...a good deal I hope.

It is a very detailed kit, It would be alot of work to build it from scratch, having the kit to copy would be a big help, you could make
copies of the Vac formed parts out of Fibre Glass easy enough using a Rubber mould to copy the parts.

Good luck with the build

Johnkpap
Old 09-24-2010, 10:09 AM
Bart Doets

Hi Johnkpap,

I just got the 50" Veron Tiger moth kit from a club buddy (he made a bid for a collection of planes on Internet and then gave away at the club what he wasn't interested in...)
Have you finished your Moth in the mean time? Because I am about to start, but I want to electrify it and I'd like to know the AUW to choose a motor...

Also, I am intending to add ailerons in the lower wing, probably with 1 central servo.

It's quite a complicated build I think... I have adequate building experience but I am trying to come up with a simple solution for the wing struts & bracing wires. I think I can transport this model in my car fully rigged, but to take her down from my building loft might pose a problem... so I'd like to simplify the rigging/derigging.

Searching the Web did not come up with a whole lot of these kits. Seems it's a bit of a rarity.

Bart Doets
Holland
Old 09-25-2010, 05:06 AM
Johnkpap

Hi Bart,

No I haven't built mine.....It is safely tucked away

Yes this kit is quite rare....There is a story of Veron in the August AMI (british Mag)

This was one of the last kits and one of the most elaberate and Expensive kits they made.

I have a copy of the 1980's kit review If would like it.

Like most kits, it is getting hard to find the nice ones at a reasonable price, I am going to build a copy of the kit
and leave mine intact.

I think the best engine option would be a nice small 4 Stroke engine, I am not a Electric fan I like the noise and smell.

Johnkpap
Old 09-25-2010, 05:58 AM
Bart Doets

Thanks for your anwer... yes I'd like to see the review (I'll PM for my address).
Saving the kit and building a copy... now that is a real collectors spirit, but don't you have a lot of saved boxes in your home? I don't think I will ever want to build a second one... so I'll just build this one. Having all the prefab plastic parts and pre-bent wires is a big plus too...
Yes I am more of an electro pilot. Basically, I am a glider pilot, but I just decided I needed something for non-thermal days when this club buddy offered the Tiger Moth.

Bart Doets
Old 09-25-2010, 06:16 AM
Johnkpap

Bart the review is on a previous post on this thread

The review was posted kindly by Ray.

Good luck with the build, yes I am a bit of a collector ....more a horder of kits and engines

I do alot of scratch bulding too...

I sometimes build a kit as well

current projects :-

Flea Fly
Chevron
1974 Super Kaos Rescue

Johnkpap

Old 09-25-2010, 06:58 AM
Bart Doets

ORIGINAL: Johnkpap

Bart the review is on a previous post on this thread
Ah... yes, I had seen it but not yet read it. Now I have. This will help some... Thanks!

When I was 14, I was member of a gliding club (fullscale that is) on the Dutch airfield of Hilversum. The local flying school had quite a fleet of Moths; apart from instruction, they were also used for towing banners and gliders. They all had the Fokker "bedboard" fin enlargement, in those days obligated here, seems like some Moths had spinned down... I intend to finish my Moth in yellow like the Dutch ones I knew back then, but I won't install the bedboard, as I always thought they spoiled the beautiful tipical De Havilland fin and rudder.

Bart Doets
Old 09-25-2010, 11:45 AM
RFJ

I always thought they spoiled the beautiful tipical De Havilland fin and rudder.
Bart,

I think we can all agree with that.............uugh [sm=48_48.gif]

Ray

Name:	Zx72274.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	1506458   Click image for larger version

Name:	Va72047.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1506459  
Old 10-01-2010, 06:06 AM
Bart Doets

Studying the manual, I am suspecting that I am missing a "detail sheet"; the manual refers to it in some places and also there are references to drawings that are not in the manual booklet.
Johnkpap (or anyone...) would it be possible to scan (or photograph) the detail sheet and send it to me?

Bart Doets
Holland
Old 10-10-2010, 05:27 PM
fly-navy

I don't know if you guys have heard that Phil Smith passed away a couple of months ago,in his nineties and still active and helpful with peoples queries until he was taken ill.
Another legend that has gone from our midst.His son is still dealing with his late fathers plans and has a full catalogue of plans that he sells.I have his address if anyone needs it.
John
Old 01-09-2011, 05:53 AM
Bart Doets

Anyone still working on this Veron Tiger Moth?
Mine is nearing finish, but I think I should change the rudder and elevator servos for stronger ones. I got parkflyer servos in it now, (I used parkflyer servos on a glider that was one meter larger and had this same engine...) but I got worried. Better safe then sorry. I'll leave the same servos for the ailerons; even if they would fail, the plane is meant to be flown with just rudder and elevator anyway...

Yes I made some changes. I will fly her on electric power, with a 3S 3000 mah lipo, and with ailerons. The need to be able to change the battery made me decide to not install the rigging wires and inter wing struts. Some will find this a shame, but i am not a real scale man anyway; and how else can I change the battery but by taking off the bottom wing? (Now that it's allmost finished, I think it might have been possible to cut away some of the firewall, then you might slide the battery in after taking off the cowling.)
The ailerons do make it look a lot better I think.

I must say that I found the kit not the easiest one I have built. The manual lacks some information, and tiny bits like the fairings of struts and landing gear are not easy to do (so I left those off). Also, building up the fuselage/wing struts and landing gear was difficult, soldering to the steel wires proved impossible; I used epoxy.
Also, althoug the kit had all the wire parts pre-bend, in the end the two upper wing beds did not run parallel, and I cannot imagine why... it made the top wing not lay straight. I had to fiddle some to make it right...
Also, the top of the fuselage is thin plastic. I made the mistake of applying oratex over the plastic, which left me some bubbles, and in trying to eliminate the bubbles the plastic began to deform. I hesitated to do it all over again... but hey, it won't affect the flying...

Bart Doets
Holland

Old 01-29-2011, 07:47 AM
Bart Doets

In case anyone is interested... my Tiger Moth just had its maiden flight.
Apart from the landing gear having some problems with the winter hardened bumps in the club field, it flew just fine. I had an experienced member do the maiden take off (my flying experience is almost exclusively with gliders) and I took the TX after he decided it flew ok. It's a fun plane to fly, pretty agile, the motor is OK for sort of scale flying +. I found it did not fly very well with just rudder & elevator control - but then, having added ailerons, I have copied the dihedral of the original and I'm not even sure how much different that is from what the kit described. Not a whole lot I thought.
We could not do another flight because of the landing gear problem (which I will have to fix, its not difficult) but anyway it was freezing cold, around zero degrees C... I pitied the little teddy bear in the open cockpit... the water droplets slung to the underside of the lower wing during take off were frozen solid after the flight!
Old 04-14-2013, 06:44 AM
dickster

I built one of these when I was 18 yrs - 30 yrs ago! And its still in tact in my loft. I will get it going one day, and was thinking of going four stroke - that's how I came across this thread, whilst researching the engine size required - i'll try a 40fs I think. Mine only has three channels and flew very sedately on rudder/elevator.

John, would they have the original plans? Cheers
Old 09-12-2016, 04:48 PM
jprimrose

If you want ailerons and electric, why not just buy the plans (eg., Derek Scott) and preserve the kit (or copy the ones you have of course).
I build old kits when I can, part of the whole experience is to have the model behave and operate in the way it was intended; I like engines old and new but I do have period engines that I would use. Electric is sensible, and you don't have to actualy use the ailerons.. but you lose out imho.. or I am just sentimental.
New(ish) radio of course, there are limits!!!! I wish I had bought one when I was in the UK 1999 I think, only 60 pounds.. it seemed a lot at the time.
Old 09-21-2016, 05:50 PM
fritzke
My Feedback: (1)

Similar plans for the TM by Pilot on Outerzone.co.uk:

http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=3522

Someone should send the Veron version their way...

Dave
Old 12-02-2020, 08:14 AM
Adavies33

Default Andrew

Hi there

Can I ask how did your build go in the end

Have you flown the model

Ive just bought the same one here in the UK

But it doesn't have an instruction book.

Are you able to help at all with a copy ?

I would be so grateful.

Any further advice too ?

Cheers

Andrew

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.