Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Jerry Nelson: PEGASUS & SULTAN designs

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Jerry Nelson: PEGASUS & SULTAN designs

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Joe Nagy
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Jerry Nelson: PEGASUS & SULTAN designs

Hi Everyone;

Greetings to you all from the sunny and warm 'Valley of the Sun'.

Last evening I successfully purchased, [sniped], a PEGASUS kit, from the [?] late 50s>early 60s, designed and manufactured by Jerry Nelson, and wanted to possibly read his design article, published a way back when in the model press. I got into my model magazine archives, but could not find said article. Do any of you, out in 'the great id of the Net', know where the PEGASUS design article can be found. At the same time I would like to read up on Jerry Nelson's SULTAN article also, and any other Nelson related articles. I will thank you all in advance for your assistance, as you have always come through for me in past similar searches. [+ Aren't those old mags and articles just plane great?]

I will close for now, thanks a whole bunch guys'n'gals, best regards from Glendale, Arizona,

Joe Nagy
Old 05-08-2010, 08:55 PM
Michaelj2k

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Jerry Nelson: PEGASUS & SULTAN designs

Hi Joe,
I think I have those American Modeler articles. Give me a few days to dig them out and scan them. I'll post them here.
Old 05-08-2010, 09:12 PM
inroad

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi

Sultan is AM March 1963 ,don't have Pegasus

Cheers
Gregg
Old 05-09-2010, 04:44 AM
Joe Nagy

Hi Everyone;

Many thanks to Mike and Greg above; they got me into the correct groove, and into the old American Modeller mags, wherein I had been looking at Model Airplane News, RCMs and Flying Models mags. I did find in the 5/65 MAN, Gerry Nelson's Pylon Racer design called the L'il Knarf. Then I got into my stash of AAMs and guess what, I found da PEGASUS in the 4/60 issue, and like Mike/Greg said, the SULTAN in the 3/63 issue, another Pylon racer called the NOVA is the 7/60 issue, and the promise of another design in 'my missing' 5/65 issue called the PRIMER. I like the way Mr Nelson presents his designs, sort of working his way through the various prototypes to the final presentation, discussing his problems and solutions for same.

There, I guess all of my modelling problems are solved for this weekend, many thanx again to Mike and Greg. Now all I have to worry about is cleaning up all the old mags lying around, doing this Nelson research thingie, before Wifey #1, 'The Shirl' gets after me. Once I get into these old mags....OMG....there is just so much valuable information therein, I just can't help myself. Hey, life is good, best regards from Glendale, Arizona,

Joe Nagy
Old 05-09-2010, 08:44 AM
CoosBayLumber
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Joe:

I got many of the Gerald Nelson plans all done up in AutoCAD already. That is Except for the Pegasus. I had brought plots of them to the AMA show in Ontario a few years ago. Jerry is now in Texas too.

I asked Jerry about the X tailed Viper he sold to DeBolt later on (I got a poor quality plan or it). Apparently he continued on with the design, and eventally made it a T tail design, re-named it and it took off in popularity then. But Hal had the rights and never introduced it into his line-up of kits. I think Hal was being convinced that the Pylon racers were correct, for Hal designed up a few prototypes, for .19 and .15 power, but they too never got introduced. Ought to hear what Jerry has to say about Hal's flying ability of back then. And, ought to hear what Hal was to say about Jerry (in general).

Jerry was more interested into the pylon racing aspect of the sport than the stunting aspect at the time. He got onto the USA aerobatic team for the 1960's but was leading the charge for pylon racers too. There are a few of the designs of this era which have noted dual uses, (Pylon and aerobatic) when you read the articles. Also read about the need for a separate catagory of Goodyear at AMA events, in some early edition of MAN (like circa 1962) by Jerry. I think Hal was very proud of being on Wide World of Sports (circa 1965) for he often included this feature into his conversations in one way or another.

But, Jerry now wants to sell off the entire business instread of continuing on. He essentially will not go to the effort of looking up to find out if the original for some plan still exists, but knows it does. For the AMA only had his copies it is said.

Wm.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:26 AM
boberos

Hi Joe,

I built Jerry's Pegasus from AM magazine plans about 8 years ago. I still fly it with an old Merco 61.
It is a great flier with it's red / white checkered wing.
See pics of it at the VRCS site.
I hope to take it with me to the Kentucky Blue Grass vintage fly in later this month.

All the best,
Bob
Old 05-21-2010, 06:32 PM
Joe Nagy

Hi Everyone;

Greetings to U all from the getting hot 'Valley of the Sun'; today is our first 100*F day of da year, Tah-Dah.

The PEGASUS kit arrived a few days ago, in just plane absolute MINT condition, and I was really surprised at the incredible quality of the kit. Rite on top of the contents were 2 sheets of paper indicating that the kit parts had been each cut individually by hand and that there were no die cut sheets of parts, in that Gerry Nelson wanted it that way, as the kit[s] would be part of a limited run, and that diecutting knives would be prohibitively expensive, + went on to explain in detail how the parts were all hand cut and sanded. I have almost 700 kits in my collection thus far, & must admit that this one, on first inspection is about the finest & nicest I have ever come across, and I have been building kits for almost 60 years, and collecting RC kits since 1969. This one is a keeper for sure, I would luv to build a 'PEGGY', but will definitely scratch build, as she has such great lines, looks like a great flier and builder rite off the magazine article and plans. I must also commend Gerry Nelson for designing and producing such a high quality product alsmost 50 years ago, his products set a precident that other manufacturers should follow today.

There, I will close for now, I thought you would enjoy sharing my happiness experience with the 'PEGGY' above; and also my thanx for eBay, and the Seller thereof for his careful packing in shipping to me me latest hobby treasure; best regards to you all from Glendale, Arizona,

Joe Nagy.
Old 05-21-2010, 10:52 PM
otrcman

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Gosh, I didn't even know there WAS a Pegasus kit ! The Pegasus was a popular model in my area in the late 50's / early 60's. The only difficult part was sheeting the turtledeck and fitting the windshield. Most of us just made a "flat top" version. Soon the Doug Spreng "Stormer" came along and then the "Flat Top Stormer". Lots of us combined the best features of the Pegasus and the Stormer. We called that the "Stormasus".

I never built the true round top Pegasus and have always regretted that. Might do it yet.

Dick
Old 05-29-2014, 10:38 AM
choprun

Default L'il Knarf

Joe,

Hope you see this. I have a L'il Knarf kit designed by Nelson and manufactured by D R Hartman in 1965. Trying to get some info on Nelson's design. Is there a way to get a reprint of the 5/65 article? Appreciate your help.

Andy

Originally Posted by Joe Nagy
Hi Everyone;

Many thanks to Mike and Greg above; they got me into the correct groove, and into the old American Modeller mags, wherein I had been looking at Model Airplane News, RCMs and Flying Models mags. I did find in the 5/65 MAN, Gerry Nelson's Pylon Racer design called the L'il Knarf. Then I got into my stash of AAMs and guess what, I found da PEGASUS in the 4/60 issue, and like Mike/Greg said, the SULTAN in the 3/63 issue, another Pylon racer called the NOVA is the 7/60 issue, and the promise of another design in 'my missing' 5/65 issue called the PRIMER. I like the way Mr Nelson presents his designs, sort of working his way through the various prototypes to the final presentation, discussing his problems and solutions for same.

There, I guess all of my modelling problems are solved for this weekend, many thanx again to Mike and Greg. Now all I have to worry about is cleaning up all the old mags lying around, doing this Nelson research thingie, before Wifey #1, 'The Shirl' gets after me. Once I get into these old mags....OMG....there is just so much valuable information therein, I just can't help myself. Hey, life is good, best regards from Glendale, Arizona,

Joe Nagy
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0012 (1024x685).jpg
Views:	154
Size:	382.4 KB
ID:	1999706  
Old 05-30-2014, 03:24 AM
Joe Nagy

Andy Babee;

Greetings from the gettin'real hot 'Valley of the Sun'.

I got dat Jerry Nelson L'IL KNARF article from da 5/65 MAN mag, but do not know where to send it to; like wot is your email address, dat should solve my lil problem.

Dere, dat problem is almolst solved: Who's next? Will close Andy, hope you enjoy da article, best regards from Glendale, Arizona,

Little Joey.
Old 05-31-2014, 06:14 AM
choprun

Joe,

PM'd my email address.
Cheers
Old 06-03-2014, 09:42 PM
mightyhorn

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

More memories- Somewhere......I saw plans for the Nova.
mightyhorn
Old 07-08-2019, 07:50 PM
electric-2000

Default Jerry Nelson: PEGASUS Kit NIB

I have a mint kit of Jerry Nelson's Pegasus. My father was a good friend of Jerry's and I remember watching him fly many times. I also have the April 1960 American Modeller magazine with the build article.This is an unusual kit and I'm not sure what something like this would be worth. I'd be interested to hear what some of the vintage pattern guys have to say.

-Mike
Old 07-23-2019, 07:21 PM
boberos

I built one of these in 2002, flew it at various VRCS events for years.
Powered it with a Merco 61 and 12x6 prop.
Lovely flyer, no bad habits.
Build it.