Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

Kraft Gold Medal system

Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

Kraft Gold Medal system

Old 08-05-2010, 04:17 PM
Rich404

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kraft Gold Medal system

Hi Everyone,
Recently I acquired a very old RC model cruise ship. It came with an old Kraft Gold Medal 6 channel? 72MHZ transmitter, receiver and servos that were time capsuled in this large old ship. The TX has an inlet built in for charging butI don’t have the charger for this TX.

Does anyone know where I can find one?

Thanks!
-Rich.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:20 PM
fizzwater2
My Feedback: (61)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Kraft Gold Medal system

You sure it's 72 Mhz and not 75?

72 MHz is reserved for aircraft use only - 75 MHz is for ground / water vehicles.

Not sure where you'd find a charger for the old Kraft - perhaps online auctions? Something that old is likely to need new batteries anyway, so you could wire up whatever sort of charge jack you wanted.

Also, if it is on one of the original 72 MHz frequencies designated by a two color flag, then you may be faced with additional expense to get it converted to a now legal channel. Those old channels were taken away from us when the newer more narrowly spaced ones came into existence.

Old 08-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Rich404

Thanks Fizzwater2,

This TX is definitely 72 MHZ. I'm still unsure whythe former owner used thatband on a ship.

I want to try to keep it in original unmolested condition if possible. The battery would need to be replaced but that should be easier than finding the internal charger. This is why I want to find that charger.

How can I tell that it was designated by a two color flag?

This radio is very old so what are my options?

Thanks!

-Rich.
Old 08-05-2010, 04:58 PM
fizzwater2

Can you describe the charger input connector?

I may have a couple of old Kraft chargers, I would have to look maybe this weekend. Not 100% sure, though - I never had a Kraft radio, but who knows what I have picked up in all the "horse trading" over the years.

Is there a sticker anywhere on the Tx with a frequency listed, or on a label?

The "old" frequencies were:

72.08 MHz
72.16 MHz
72.24 MHz
72.32 Mhz
72.40 Mhz
72.48 Mhz

I think.. I do know the 72.240 was red/white frequency flag, that's what my 1976 MRC 5 channel was (is - no longer used, though).

Being fairly old, the radio is also probably an AM radio. With the newer, more closely spaced channels for radio control (20 KHz instead of 80 Khz) AM transmitters had to be updated / modified and certified to meet narrow band emission requirements. FM radios were by nature narrower, and more immune to interference, so AM radios pretty quickly died out after the new channels became available.

If it was me, and I wanted to run the boat, I would look into an inexpensive radio on legal frequencies to use. By the time you get new batteries, a charger, possibly change frequency and/or have a transmitter narrow banded, you would probably be money ahead with a new radio.

If it's for nostalgia sake, I would check with Radio South and see if they would go over the radio and do any updates / tuning / frequency change that would be required. The "old" RC frequencies have been given to other users, and I wouldn't recommend trying to use any of them - not only would you have to accept any interference the legal users may broadcast, you may be responsible for any interference to their systems that you may cause. Personally, I'd rather have a new radio with new batteries and a warranty - or even a newer, well cared for used radio from someone I trust that they are no longer using because they've swapped to 2.4 GHz, etc.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:28 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry Gordo, but there was no radios sold on 72.480, they jumped from 72.400 to 72.960 which was yellow and white. Might be due to image frequencies with the 455 KHz I.F. filters so common in AM radios. But hey, they did all of that work back in 1958-59 when the FCC opened up new frequencies for the 27 MHz band and someone remembered in 1967 when they added the 72 MHz band.

As to the chargers then in use when the Gold Medal radio came out, you had the basic AC "cheater" cord that went from the wall to the transmitter, and then a round DIN plug that ran from the transmitter to the airborne pack. DIN stands for Deutsches Institut für Normung which looks a lot like a German standard. Finding a compatible connector to the airborne switch harness might be the toughest part. Also be aware that Kraft used a center tapped battery for the flight pack, since they dd not adapt the bridge amplifier until 1973. The Gold Medal series was from 1968 and 1969, generally with KPS-9 servos or the tiny KPS-10.

They got away from this style of electrocuting modelers (yes, if you have a couple of poorly wired sockets in your house, the case of the transmitter can be connected to the "hot side", and you are just moments away from completing the circuit through your body to a better ground).

Anyway you would be better off buying the cheapest radio on the market than using the old Kraft. If you decide to sell it on one of the online auctions, you would do best to put it in the back of the closet for 3 or 4 years when the economy is moving again. Otherwise it is worth $20 to $50 if sold today.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:04 PM
Rich404

Hi guys,

Thank you very much for this information. This system will not go back in the ship. I have already replaced the shipstransmitter with a modern 75mhz surface system because boats should not be on 72mhz.

I wanted to get theKraft up and running to e-Bay it off to someone interested in old airplane electronics.(I'm ascale boatguy & don't currently fly) I figured thata workingsystem was better than a paperweight. Now that I know that this system should not be used, I am not going to try to get it running. Thank you for your insight!!

This transmitter is 72.320.

It does have the round DIN type plug that Highplains mentioned in the above post.

I'm now home from work and looked at the TX again. It is a Kraft Gold Spectrum 6. ( I don't know where I got gold medal from)

Thank You!!

-Rich.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:43 PM
fizzwater2

highplains - I didn't think 72.48 looked right.. thanks for that. I only had a radio near the bottom end (72.240) and then got my ham ticket and flew 6 meters.
Old 08-13-2010, 05:25 PM
SJones

On 72 mhz 72.320 purple and white, 72.160 blue and white, 72.960 yellow and white were shared with cars and boats and the rest were aircraft only. On 75 mhz 75.640 green and white was aircraft only, the rest of the 75 band and was for cars and boats only.

Steve Jones
Old 08-14-2010, 03:18 AM
N1EDM
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

SJones,

What was the rationale for sharing those frequencies between cars/boats and planes? Not knowing any better, I once bought a TH radio set with green-white but was planning on using it in a plane (not knowing any better) until I got laid off. Then the radio went on the shelf and I forgot about it for 15 years.

Thanks,

Bob
Old 08-14-2010, 06:35 PM
SJones

Bob,

Good question, Sorry I do not have a clue why it was set up that way. I could only guess that it could be because of the price of radios way back when, so A guy could by one radio and be able to use it in anything. This is just a guess and not even an educated one at that
My first Kraft radio cost me around four hundred dollars ( lots of money for a nineteen year old kid ). It was 72.960, I used it mostly for airplanes but did use it in a couple of boats also.

Steve
Old 08-14-2010, 08:39 PM
HighPlains

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My first Kraft radio cost me around four hundred dollars ( lots of money for a nineteen year old kid ).
That about the same amount I paid for a calculator in 1973.
Old 10-27-2010, 09:05 AM
northiceman

Hey Rich - do ytou still have the old Kraft Gold Spectrum available for buying ?
Old 10-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Rich404

Hi NorthIceMan,

Yes, I still have the radio. Since my last post, I just put the radio away.

When you have a moment, send me a PM with an offer.

Regards,

-Rich.
Old 11-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Rich404

Hi NorthIceman,

As promised, below are some pictures of the Kraft TX receiver and servos.

I didn't photograph the back because the original owner inscribed his name and personal details there.

Best Regards,

-Rich.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:19 PM
bradjensen68

I just posted a Kraft Gold medal system for sale if anyone is interested:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/ite...581&electric=0