Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC
Reload this Page >

help wanted with a vintage cannon radio

Community
Search
Notices
Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC Want to discuss some of those from the golden age, vintage rc planes or even an old classic antique vintage rc planes, radios, engines, etc? This is the place for you. Enjoy!

help wanted with a vintage cannon radio

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 04:20 PM
john schicker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help wanted with a vintage cannon radio

Hi chaps looking for some one that may help me with a decal .I have received a radio which is a slight greenish colour and no decal on the front face .but also in the box that arrives was a receiver case which had the decal on it .I took it to a sign shop and they were to enlarge it for me to go onto the transmitter and now they have lost it so i will be givindg them a few options .you have got the drift .So i am looking for some one that may be able to get one made over there for me and i will pay to have it sent to me .Please can some one help .kind regards john
Old 08-09-2010, 06:21 PM
aerowoof

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: help wanted with a vintage cannon radio

my recolecttion of cannon radios were that they were white .
Old 08-09-2010, 07:15 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: aerowoof

I had one that was orange, transmitter, receiver and servos.
Old 08-09-2010, 09:21 PM
HighPlains
My Feedback: (1)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What color was your Cannon? Depends on when it was produced. Bill Cannon's early stuff was called C&S and was green anodized. Then C&S gave away to Cannon, which were brown vinyl covered metal boxes. Later came the white plastic transmitters and Charlie's RC in Orange.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:09 PM
john schicker

High planes .It lookes like the Kraft sests metal case .two stick .a slight motled green in colour .do you have one .i am sure there must be a few in the States .I cant have the only one .regards john can send a photo
Old 08-09-2010, 11:50 PM
HighPlains

I have a 1968 three channel Cannon with a stick (Kraft style) on the right side, and a trim level on the left for throttle control with no meter. It came was 3 KPS-9 servos and a small receiver for the time. But the case is Brown. I flew this radio quite a bit, it worked very well in a Major Models Saulnier.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu59711.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	1481786  
Old 08-10-2010, 06:03 AM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a single stick metal case transmitter Cannon that is a cream color with just a hint of tan & grey through out the radio. Looks like granite! This is interesting....Gene
Old 08-10-2010, 06:12 AM
iflyj3

Go to http://www.rchalloffame.org/Manufact...non/index.html Ed Crotty's hall of fame. Also click on additional images.
Old 08-10-2010, 06:08 PM
gene6029

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts

Yep, I see my transmitter in there! Well one like it anyway. Thanks for posting that......Gene
Old 08-11-2010, 09:24 AM
CoosBayLumber

ORIGINAL: aerowoof

On the assembly line, it was common back when to quickly identify the receiving frequency by the color of the case. I read this in a magazine of the 1960s, as not all nations have same colors due to different frequencies. Thus you may never see a certain colored case in a certain nation for retailers were restricted from selling such.

Wm.
Old 08-11-2010, 03:52 PM
john schicker

Still looking for some one to help me if they would get a decal scaned would be great ......John
Old 08-11-2010, 03:59 PM
iflyj3

ORIGINAL: john schicker

Still looking for some one to help me if they would get a decal scaned would be great ......John
John,

I would try emailing Ed Crotty at the RC hall of fame if he has what you need. It is doubtful if anyone else has it, if they haven't answered by now. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2010, 05:06 PM
gzkpez

Do you know the model of the cannon you have? Was the Decal metal? I have access to two 70 era Cannons.
Old 08-11-2010, 10:06 PM
john schicker

[quote]ORIGINAL: gzkpez

Do you know the model of the cannon you have? Was the Decal metal? I have access to two 70 era Cannons.
[/quote

if you could send me your email i will send a photo of it its a 5 channel and the meter is above the right stick on and off switch is at the bottom left corner . Awaiting your reply .....john
Old 08-12-2010, 01:01 PM
HIr/cer
My Feedback: (74)

ORIGINAL: gzkpez

The 'decal' was a foil-backed sticker. Built a 5 channel with the greenish color TX/RX cases when they were available as kits back then. The sticker on HighPlains' 3 channel brown TX is the same as used on the other early Cannons, including the green TX that john schicker has. More later.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:43 PM
john schicker

ORIGINAL: HIr/cer

The 'decal' was a foil-backed sticker. Built a 5 channel with the greenish color TX/RX cases when they were available as kits back then. The sticker on HighPlains' 3 channel brown TX is the same as used on the other early Cannons, including the green TX that john schicker has. More later.

You are correct it had a foiled back sticker woith the grenish and white on it with cannon .i did have the small metal receiver cover and the blody dud lost it . would love to have someone scan one for me .Regards john
Old 08-12-2010, 06:05 PM
jaymen

Char is still alive, Bill Cannons widow, in Henderson Nevada, she probably has some of those stickers, but I have no contact info for her. They did make a very dark greeninsh black case with gold highlights, I have one. They also had a tan, and a green, and an off white vinyl clad cases.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:04 PM
gzkpez

I will scan and take some photos for you, of the two I have access to. One is a dark green 6 channel Kraft style stick made in 1972 and one is a 3 channel made in 1975. One label says Cannon Professional the other the more generic Cannon Electronics; the labels are the same size. I might also be able to scan ann old silk screen logo but am not to sure if the item still exists. This talk about Cannon brings back a lot of great memories. I even may have some literature and manuals. I hope to get this done by Monday for you, did not have scanner today.
Old 08-12-2010, 11:59 PM
john schicker

I will scan and take some photos for you, of the two I have access to. One is a dark green 6 channel Kraft style stick made in 1972 and one is a 3 channel made in 1975. One label says Cannon Professional the other the more generic Cannon Electronics; the labels are the same size. I might also be able to scan ann old silk screen logo but am not to sure if the item still exists. This talk about Cannon brings back a lot of great memories. I even may have some literature and manuals. I hope to get this done by Monday for you, did not have scanner today.

Heck that would be great .if this works out i will send a small gift from nz .The receiver is 5 channel .the decal shiold be the same .I measured the size in the transmitter and it is approx 90x30 mill tapers from top to bottom
Old 08-13-2010, 12:53 PM
HIr/cer

John, what frequency is your Cannon TX on? Would think it is on 27 mHz as the old 72 mHz freqs had not been authorized here when the Cannons were first introduced. Recall seeing the TX and the RX case on eBay...am I correct?
Old 08-13-2010, 04:09 PM
john schicker

You are correct i purchessed off ebay it is on freq 27.195 .Regards John
Old 08-13-2010, 05:25 PM
ggeezer

Hi John,
I have what I think is a Cannon 5 ch. receiver. It has no decal but has the greenish vinyl clad aluminum case. Case size is 65 mm by 45 mm by 20 mm. It is on 27.045 Mhz.
I have no use for this receiver, you can have it for the cost of postage if you like.

Orv.
Old 08-13-2010, 07:26 PM
john schicker

Orv many thanks would love to have the receiver . you are 100%correct it is the vinyl clad aluminum case .all i need to do is change the freqin the transmitter .will send you a pm
Old 08-13-2010, 08:16 PM
HIr/cer

ORIGINAL: ggeezer

Hi John,
I have what I think is a Cannon 5 ch. receiver. It has no decal but has the greenish vinyl clad aluminum case. Case size is 65 mm by 45 mm by 20 mm. It is on 27.045 Mhz.
I have no use for this receiver, you can have it for the cost of postage if you like.

Orv.
That is the same size as my Cannon RX that I still have, on 27.095, which was part of the first R/C radio kit that I built (only built two more, both Ace). John, can you take a picture of your TX to compare with HighPlains brown 3 channel? The same sized Al case was used with either TX, and the reason for the different colored vinyl cases was that the brown TX'/RX's were factory wired. HighPlains' RX is a 2 deck brick which I do not recall having the option of ordering as a kit. I used to visit Bill Cannon during the few times that I got to SoCal when he was on Saticoy Blvd. in N. Hollywood.
Old 08-13-2010, 08:50 PM
HighPlains

$70 and I could have it converted to a 5 channel system with a 4th servo. The two deck receiver is the mini with a flying weight of only 2 oz. The regular receiver weighs 2 1/2 oz and is the kit receiver.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li21267.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	1483574  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.