RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   Cleveland 84" Super Condor build thread (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/10077015-cleveland-84%22-super-condor-build-thread.html)

WEDJ 09-19-2011 10:18 AM

RE: Cleveland 84

1 Attachment(s)
And last, a small problem with the inner wing panels. The right side has a warp. If you look, you can see the trailing edge dips down compared with the root.
*sigh* Just something else to annoy me. I believe when I cover it I can take that out.

WEDJ 09-25-2011 08:31 AM

Hooray! My folding prop finally arrived. Now I can work on the "business end" of the fuselage. Also notice how the spinner is a great match for the fuse front end (top to bottom at least. I will have to work on cheek cowls)

Hmmm, seems to be a problem loading photos. Let me try some others.

WEDJ 09-25-2011 08:33 AM

Well, I solved the cheek cowls by putting on a nose ring, then using card stock to fashion paper fairings. Not too bad looking, I think!

These won't load, either. I will try uploading photos later. Sorry.

WEDJ 09-25-2011 01:30 PM

OK, I've tried to load pictures 3 times this afternoon, I keep getting "500 Server internal error" and google search tells me it is in the website computer, not mine. I will try again tomorrow.

WEDJ 09-26-2011 05:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Let's try the photos again today........

WEDJ 09-26-2011 05:50 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So now I guess everything is back to normal. Here's the last 2 photos: I particularly like the cheek cowls, they weigh nothing.

WEDJ 09-27-2011 05:56 PM

Moving (rapidly) along so I can bring this to Oxford in 2- weeks, I have separated the cowl from the body with an Xacto saw. Also, photo of laying out the motor mount. With a 1/16 backing, it should bring the prop into line with the front of the cowl (fingers crossed)

Oh, F### another 500 -internal server error message. rats!

WEDJ 09-29-2011 04:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
try again...

GREAT! Now I will upload the rest of the pix for you all.

WEDJ 09-29-2011 04:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
motor mount

WEDJ 09-29-2011 04:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Canopy and motor mount views...

WEDJ 09-29-2011 04:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Last photo tonight is the canopy removed. I will spray it light blue, then add black strips for frame outlines. I guess I'm getting close to needing a color scheme, too!

WEDJ 10-04-2011 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, we have not been lazy here...........

Motor is installed, and I had a debate with myself moment. Since the cowl is separate, I was going to put it on with magnets like the canopy. Then I thought, well, the only reason to remove the cowl is to service the motor, and how likely is that? I'm thinking, "not very", so I tack glued the cowl back on after installing the motor by putting 4 drops of tacky glue on the 12-6-3-9- positions. When I cover the body, it will look better, yet if I really have to get at the motor, an Xacto blade will do the job nicely.

WEDJ 10-04-2011 06:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So my next problem i that the FRIKKINMOTORISHEAVY!

Yes, so I have to put the battery as far back as possible. That means splicing the battery leads so I can get at them thru the canopy to turn the system on and off. Now mind you, I am not really good at soldering, the shrink tubing covers a lot of bad work :)

WEDJ 10-04-2011 06:25 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Finally tonight, I am covering the body. 4 quadrants, L&R top, L&R bottom. Here's a shot of the first 2 done.

WEDJ 10-04-2011 06:27 PM

Tomorrow I will finish all the covering and install the radio etc. Hopefully, test flying will be Thursday.

WEDJ 11-08-2011 05:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Has it really been a month since I put this down? Time flies! I put 3 of the 4 fuselage panels on, then ripped two of them off because they were horrible. This covering does not shrink and stratch like monokote, it is much more difficult to work with. So I kinda got discouraged. Since I missed the Octoberfest this year, I hope to have it ready to fly by spring. Here are at least a few progress photos:

First, using masking tape to mark the location of the holes for sewn hinges. Then, the elevator with holes drilled<br type="_moz" />

WEDJ 11-08-2011 05:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Control horns for the rudder pull-pull system, and painted the canopy and added magnetic clips.

WEDJ 01-03-2012 05:36 PM

New Year's resolution - FINISH IT !!!

WEDJ 02-27-2012 03:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So, to actually follow my new year's resolution, I have been working on this. First, I had to overcome the
"builder's block" that I get when all the fun stuff is gone and I only have puky stuff to do. Like re-cover the fuselage, trying not to be the disaster it was before. So, with a large intake of breath, I tried again. Not perfect, but acceptable this time. See photo below.

WEDJ 02-27-2012 03:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Then, to attack the problem of the warped right wing inner panel. I got the help of one of my sons to warp the wing in the other direction, and actually got the wing straight in short order. Hooray!

WEDJ 02-27-2012 03:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So now I'm on a roll for the week, let's get the hinges done. Simple thread hinges, like my Jr Skylark plane. Not too bad looking, if I say so myself. Next, I must join the tail together, and marry it to the body. I think I'm on a roll, with new enthusiasm!

Michaelj2k 02-28-2012 09:21 AM

Looks good Nic. [sm=thumbs_up.gif]

WEDJ 03-03-2012 11:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
So at this stage, the next step would be to attach the stab to the body. normally, you have to align the stab three ways:
centered on the body (measure tip to body, both sides)
square to the body (measure tip of stab to front center of the body, both sides)
square to the horizontal wing line (sight down from the rear)

In looking at this plane, I came across a great idea, why not attach the rudder to the stab first?
That only has to be aligned two ways:-straight down the C/L, and- perpendicular to the stabThat way, once this sub-assembly is done, then the stab/rudder will only have to be centered on the body and lined up with the wings.

Much easier that trying to do 3 alignments at once. Brilliant! (If I say so myself!)

WEDJ 03-03-2012 02:49 PM

For some reason, RCU won't let me separate that huge paragraph above with separation spaces. I've tried 4 different times to edit it, no luck. Sorry for the run-on words, guys.

WEDJ 03-07-2012 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So now that all is covered, here is the mock-up of the final configuration. I will have to carefully align the stab to the wing and glue it to the fuselage, but this is how it will look......