RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   My Astro Hog (and re-introduction) (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/11225800-my-astro-hog-re-introduction.html)

badestdudeintown 09-11-2012 10:40 PM

My Astro Hog (and re-introduction)

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all! I've been a member for a long time, but have just recently gotten back into the hobby. Here's the slightly long-winded story of my Astro Hog:

About 7-8 years ago, I had a Great Planes Easy Sport, which was truly a "great plane." Flew perfectly. Totally predictable flight characteristics. That was, until I let my friend fly it. I explained everything to him pre-flight, got it to a safe altitude and gave him the TX. He basically just stared at the TX while the plane slowly descended. At the moment the altitude got too low for comfort, I grabbed the TX back from him, and when I did I accidentally whacked the throttle forward. The plane slammed HARD, totally disintegrating on impact. He still to this day laughs about the look on my face at the moment of impact :) In any case, he agreed to pay for half my new kit, and I decided on an Astro Hog. I have always loved vintage stuff, and wanted a building challenge. After about 3 months of hard work it was ready. I intended to use a Tower Hobbies .75 for it, but I could never get it started. After much frustration, mixed with the fear of flying this large aircraft that I spent 3 months building, it ended up sitting in the garage... for 7 years. It's been through 3 moves and I still haven't flown it.

So, about a month ago, I got a wild hair up my ass and decided it was time. I've also always wanted a four stroke motor, especially for this plane. Also, I really didn't want to deal with the previous frustration I had with the .75, so I ordered a used Magnum .91 4 stroke for it from ebay and got it all mounted up. Just ran it a few weeks ago, and i'll need to tune it a bit but at least this one runs! After reading up on all the stuff that's happened in this hobby over the last 7 years, I also decided to upgrade my radio equipment to a Futaba 6EX as well.

Now, mind you, I haven't flown much in the last 7 years. I have a ParkZone Piper cub that I’ve flown a few times (now inoperable), but that's about it. As a result, i've decided to get a smaller electric to practice on before flying this beast. I got a Mini Ultra Stick, which me being me, I of course stripped all of the covering off and re-covered it because I wasn't happy with the color scheme :) Now I'm just waiting for my motor and other miscellaneous stuff to arrive from China to fly it. I figure a few months and i'll be ready for the Astro Hog.

Hell, the Mini Ultra Stick is probably much harder to fly than the Astro Hog is, but I swear I’ll never forgive myself if I crash it on its maiden flight.
So, without further adieu, here’s the beast. If you can’t tell, I’m quite proud of her. She has plenty of flaws, but she’s my baby. BTW, the first pic with the silver headrest is pre-update (,75), whereas the 2nd with the red headrest is how it is today (with the .91 4 stroke). I had a bit of a mishap with the heat gun and had to cut down the headrest and re-paint it :) The 2nd pic also shows the Mini Ultra Stick I was talking about.

Attachment 2235974

Attachment 2235975

Thanks for reading!

pd1 09-13-2012 03:02 AM

RE: My Astro Hog (and re-introduction)

Nice covering job. Nice build . Good luck on the flying.

badestdudeintown 09-13-2012 09:01 PM

Thanks man! There's definitely some imperfections that don't show in the pics - that chrome monokote is unforgiving for sure, and shows every little imperfection in the wood underneath. There's probably a lot more seams on the fuselage than their should be too. I'm not a master at covering compound curves. Overall though, i'm very happy with how it came out.

stevegauth30 09-15-2012 12:14 PM

Real nice hog man. I also have an old hog that I absolutely love to fly. And I think your right. Tha smaller ones are harder to fly.dont think about it, just start it and fly, and before ya know you'll be right back where you left off. Happy landings.

turbo.gst 09-15-2012 03:11 PM

Welcome back! I think your hog looks great. I have always liked that color scheme. I started with the small 1/2a stuff and have progressed all the way up to gassers. I still enjoy flying ALL sizes.

Happy Landings,
turbo

Allen Key 10-02-2012 04:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just about finishing my Hog after about five years from laying the wing spars :) Well my girlfriend became my wife, then there was the house move. Oh yes; the air force wanted me back, so there was a job change to. :) You should have no problem flying your Hog.

Blue sky's and gentle winds.

kerwin50 10-05-2012 01:06 PM

It looks like it's been awhile, have you flown that hog.
Some years ago I took a break from the hobby. Upon returning I went to my local club and had a guy buddy box me. It only took one flight and I waqs on my own again. kind of like you

Allen Key 10-07-2012 06:46 AM

ORIGINAL: kerwin50

It looks like it's been awhile, have you flown that hog.
Some years ago I took a break from the hobby. Upon returning I went to my local club and had a guy buddy box me. It only took one flight and I waqs on my own again. kind of like you

Hi Kerwin,

I started flying again last September but the Astro Hog has still to be finished, it's nearly ready though; just the covering, and radio installation.
I didn't have the luxury of a buddy box, the guys at the club just landed and gave me the patch :D I needed to make three approaches to land, and then it was a bouncer. I was charged four landing fees in the bar ;). Glad to be back in the game, how about you?

w0ace 03-09-2014 08:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Great looking Hog!!!! I think I am going to STEAL your color scheme! Mine is about 60% framed now. I have a Sig 4*40 covered in the normal Blue fuse, Yellow wings like that, so I am thinking the Hog needs to be Chrome/Yellow! I am going to use a Evo .10cc gasoline on it. Have it in the 4*40 right now to break it in.

Have you flown the Hog yet? I'm guessing so.....How did it go?

Tailwinds,

Chris

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=1976379