RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   Fleet Brotherhood (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/11231623-fleet-brotherhood.html)

retransit 09-19-2012 11:58 AM

RE: Fleet Brotherhood

Couldn't bear to know it was collecting dust Ray? Good for you.

I checked the specs on the full size and the dihedral is 4 degrees. That's about what I found with a protractor on the plans. I'll secure everything in place and proceed to fit the N-strut pieces together. By the way, the full size has a 2 degree angle of incidence. They didn't differentiate between upper and lower wings. I'm sticking with what I have.

Bob

Planejaw 09-19-2012 01:29 PM

Yes Bob, 4-degrees is what I also found. I believe that they indicate 2 degrees positive incidence would be on the top wing...gets the top wing to stall a little sooner and allows the ailerons to remain effective when the top wing stalls and the lower wing keeps flying.

Mine has around 1 degrees positive incidence on the top wing, just the way it was built, and it seems to fly just fine. About two degrees negative incidence in the engine, two degrees right thrust. Horizontal stab is stock with no adjustment made.

retransit 09-19-2012 02:49 PM

I just finished aligning the left wing. I placed the wing panel at four degrees and from a front view it looked like it had too much, almost silly looking. I checked head-on view pictures I had of the previous Fleet, and it looks like four would be too aggressive. I settled on two degrees and it mimics the pictures. We'll see how it handles when finished. I can always change it later.

By the way, one salvageable N-strut fit a lot better with two degrees than with four degrees.

Bob

Fleet 09-19-2012 03:18 PM

Bob, if you have any of the wing plates that you subbed alumnium for the ply wing joiners. Perhaps you could get a good angle from that. I've searched my datat base and can't find what I'm looking for so I'll fire up my biz 'puter that has all the Type Certificates Data sheet. There is a Fleet model listed that is allowed to have such a document.

Until then, some of the crewe here might be motivated by some of the color schemes of the various Fleets around the world.

http://www.airliners.net/search/phot...16B&submit=

Some of the cockpit pix show a cylindrical thingy in the front cockpit. It is the oil cooler and the adjustable scoop is on the right side of the fuse just below the oil service cap. First I saw it I figured it a large hot coffee thermos for those Canadian winter hops.

If anyone needs some detail pix of a real Fleet, I've got a bunch from a friend who owns his own 16B.

Ray W. #7

retransit 09-19-2012 07:34 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As long as John mentioned the possibility of a "swarm of Fleets" in Michigan, I'd like to put out an invitation to all who may be interested and anyone who may want to get away from those cold northern winters. February 15th and 16th of 2013, my club will have a Giant's event as we have had for the past 23 years. It would be great to see more than one Fleet here.

Think you'll be finished by then Cliff?

Pics below are from an article on our last event by Andrew Griffith of Fly RC magazine. The last picture is of me with Carl Edwards of NASCAR. He's the better looking guy on the right. He came out to the 2011 event during practice week for the Daytona 500. He even flew one of the guy's planes.

Bob

Planejaw 09-20-2012 03:33 AM

ORIGINAL: retransit

I just finished aligning the left wing. I placed the wing panel at four degrees and from a front view it looked like it had too much, almost silly looking. I checked head-on view pictures I had of the previous Fleet, and it looks like four would be too aggressive. I settled on two degrees and it mimics the pictures. We'll see how it handles when finished. I can always change it later.

By the way, one salvageable N-strut fit a lot better with two degrees than with four degrees.

Bob
Bob, you said 4 degrees on the left panel. I concur that two degrees per panel would give you the requisite 4 degrees (total) dihedral.

Fleet 09-20-2012 04:32 AM

Got more info on your flying Bob?   Feb is a good time to seek warmer climes and the wife will have a full vacation time.

Ray W.

retransit 09-20-2012 05:59 AM

"Bob, you said 4 degrees on the left panel. I concur that two degrees per panel would give you the requisite 4 degrees (total) dihedral."

OK, I assumed four degrees per panel. See, I said that I hoped this thread would help me and it did.

Bob

retransit 09-20-2012 06:01 AM

Ray, what info do you need?

Bob

Fleet 09-20-2012 06:03 AM

Services on the field. I have an RV. Motels available around , meals, channels exempt, ... that kind of stuff.

Ray W

retransit 09-20-2012 06:32 AM

Ray, we do not have any hook-ups but you can stay on the field for the event. If you prefer, there is an RV park near the field and we have Port-a-Potties on site. Motels are down the road within 3 miles, along with restaurants and Daytona Beach (Daytona 500) is about 10 miles east. If you do a search for motels in DeLand, you can see what is available.

As far as channels go (if you are talking about Tx's) all are used, no exclusions.

Bob

Fleet 09-20-2012 06:40 AM

Thanks.   Most helpful.

My Daughter lives in Port Orange so I could lay in with her maybe.   My grandsons would enjoy the show.  

Any online site advert that I could sent them.   Hells bells,  I turn 60 ought years old that weekend.

Ray W.

retransit 09-20-2012 07:59 AM

The club hasn't put a flyer out yet. When it does, it will be on our club website:

http://www.delandrcclub.com/

Bob

Fleet 09-20-2012 08:28 AM

I got reservations in Deland for that weekend.  Tuff to do since the Budwieser shootout at Daytona is that same weekend.

Looks like I'll be there.  Now I've to hurry up with my planes.

Ray W #7

retransit 09-20-2012 09:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Fleet

I got reservations in Deland for that weekend. Tuff to do since the Budwieser shootout at Daytona is that same weekend.

Looks like I'll be there. Now I've to hurry up with my planes.

Ray W #7

Great!

Bob

Fleet 09-20-2012 11:23 AM

The motel we  got is near the Deland Airport.  Is that where the Festival will be?

I found the link to an Enya service and overhaul outfit:

http://www.bj-model-engines.com/home.html

He is still in bizz and will overhaul my VT 240.   She is such a power house but high time.   Got some great free advice on the fuel tank setup to boot.

I talked to Mr. Bill Jensen himself and I came away assured these guys know what they are doing.

Ray W.

landeck 09-20-2012 11:35 AM

I have used Bill Jensen many times including getting an Enya 80C four stroke engine rebuilt. He does great work and I have never had a problem with them.

Bruce

retransit 09-20-2012 11:36 AM

Our club is on the DeLand airport grounds (only one I know of). We use the abandoned north/south runway.

Bob

Jaybird 09-20-2012 11:39 AM

Bill repaired a 1980's vintage OS 120 four stroke (double rocker covers) a few years ago and it's still going strong!

Jaybird

Fleet 09-20-2012 12:07 PM

Great testimonials.  I'm more assured.

Ray W.

gordon_mcln 09-21-2012 04:56 AM

Hi guys,

I'd like to join the brotherhood...

I'm building a 1/4 scale Fleet, based on the Ron Weiss plans set reduced from 1/3 scale...Construction looks to be the same as the Concept Fleet models....My spruce order is on its way from aircraft spruce and should be here today.....

Sad to hear that Romey has discontinued production of the kits.....

Thanks,

Gordon

Fleet 09-21-2012 05:06 AM

Welcome Gordon.

Yup, not much difference in the plans from 1/3 to 1/4 except the ribs are one piece on the R. Weiss plans.   Some beefing here and there but still, a colosal rip of the Concept model.

Ray W.

retransit 09-21-2012 06:55 AM

Gordon, you are #18.

Bob

Fleet 09-21-2012 07:41 AM

Say Bob, you going to cook at the flyin in Feb? I wish to put my order in ...

Ray W

retransit 09-21-2012 09:11 AM

You know, I used to do that, but due to the lack of new faces willing to help out I just said, I'm finished. I did it for six years and never got to fly. This year I cut back (breakfast only) and was able to do some flying. It is a lot of work and requires much time for preparation, buying food and cooking. What I did say was that I was willing to do breakfast. Much easier than standing in the middle of a grease cloud doing hamburgers, etc., and it is fun. There has to be a fun aspect to it, just like building and then flying.

We will probably have a couple of food trucks come in. We are looking into that. Less reward but no risk if the weather turns sour. One year we had rain for three days and we ate hamburgers for months, in addition to losing our shirts on the deal.

Bob