RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   Fleet Brotherhood (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/11231623-fleet-brotherhood.html)

retransit 09-17-2012 03:36 PM

Fleet Brotherhood

1 Attachment(s)
There is some stated interest in a Fleet Brotherhood. Since no one has moved forward on this and I cannot find a thread of this on RCU, I will take the bull by the horns. I would like it to cover all things associated with the Fleet biplane, including all scales and manner of build. I am not by any means an expert, so I yield to others on this subject. I want to gain from this thread as much as anyone, so feel free to join in. Ownership is not a requirement.

Being a bit selfish I claim #1. Please let me know if you are interested and I'll keep track of the members.

Bob

meanrc 09-17-2012 03:46 PM

RE: Fleet Brotherhood

Bob
I be # 2

More to follow.

Jk

knucklebutt 09-17-2012 03:48 PM

Shoot I'm in. I built and flew one back in 1987 (see pic in the other thread) have one actively fly now (actually flew it today) and have a new one in the box to build

Denis

geoardsog5 09-17-2012 03:49 PM

I'll take next available number. John R.

Mein Duff 09-17-2012 03:53 PM

Looks like Dennis is Nr. 3...

I be Nr. 4.......Eric ( aka Mein Duff)

great to exchange info pertaining to this model.....there are some of areas that could use improvement and benefit from more updated construction techniques in my opinion..
kinda sad that there will be no more kits forthcoming it seems

knucklebutt 09-17-2012 04:01 PM

Now here's something I have just changed: I have always used the Du-Bro 6" inflatable tires: Flying off asphalt my Fleet can get a little squirley , especially on landing roll out. It would tend to scrape a wing tip as the inflatables were a little squishey (is that a word?) It was suggested I switch to hard rubber, which I did today. I had some Sulliavan aluminum hub 5". Made a huge difference. Tracked easily all the way down the runway on take off, and absolutely tendency to dig in a wing tip. I just ordered the Du-Bro 1/3 cub wheels, per Ray W. (see prior thread)

I flew this airplane off grass for years and of course had no issues, not so with the asphalt.

retransit 09-17-2012 04:10 PM

When you guys sign up, give your A/C scale, mfg and power.

Thanks,
Bob

retransit 09-17-2012 04:19 PM

This is what i have so far. I entered a few that stated their intentions on the Concept Build thread.

1 retransit Bob
2 meanrc jk
3 knucklebutt Denis
4 geoardsog5 John R.
5 Mein Duff Eric
6 Planejaw John
7 Fleet Ray
8 mangolo Waldo

Fleet 09-17-2012 04:26 PM

I'm here to. I may contact the guy I sold mine to and see if he will part with it for some cash. It will need an overhaul/annual but Istill have the Enya 240.

Earlier mention of the bobbling tendancy of the Fleet. Mine too to the point I was leaving balsa and coverite on the paved runways so I installed some nylon skid plates under each lowe wing. Still, the ailerons would often suffer. The bird is top heavy to a point and , unless I move the wheels out further, I don't see a mend to such poor piloting on my part. Good news, I never ground looped it.

Now, I've this Fleet on the boards and am slow as molassas this past year:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_9927213/tm.htm

Ray W.

geoardsog5 09-17-2012 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
As per your request, Concept models 1/4 scale Fleet Model 2 1929 bi-plane. Wingspan = 86" Quadra 42 for power. Covered with 21 Century fabric. Servos = Hitec HS-645. Pix attached. John r.

retransit 09-17-2012 05:03 PM

Thanks John. Nice aircraft.

retransit 09-17-2012 05:06 PM

Ray, those wingtip dings are just the reason I try to stay on the grass for my landings.

Bob

knucklebutt 09-17-2012 05:08 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Built in 2004 G-38 Solartex:: painted Cream and Maroon :: water based nelson paints:: Futaba 24 Ghz with Hi-Tec HS-645 MG

retransit 09-17-2012 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: knucklebutt

Now here's something I have just changed: I have always used the Du-Bro 6'' inflatable tires: Flying off asphalt my Fleet can get a little squirley , especially on landing roll out. It would tend to scrape a wing tip as the inflatables were a little squishey (is that a word?) It was suggested I switch to hard rubber, which I did today. I had some Sulliavan aluminum hub 5''. Made a huge difference. Tracked easily all the way down the runway on take off, and absolutely tendency to dig in a wing tip. I just ordered the Du-Bro 1/3 cub wheels, per Ray W. (see prior thread)

I flew this airplane off grass for years and of course had no issues, not so with the asphalt.
I know there isn't much in the way of grass in Chandler, AZ so I see why you're flying off pavement. My son lives in Chandler and the only grass around him is what is force fed with water in front of his house.

Bob

dreid 09-17-2012 05:19 PM

I just subscribed. My first giant scale was a Concept Fleet in 1977. I have a kit in storage to do and have chosen my color scheme.

Yank II 09-17-2012 05:23 PM

Sign me up, I plan to build a Concept Models 1/4 scale Fleet model 2 . eflite 160 for power.

Jim

retransit 09-17-2012 05:24 PM

Denis,
Now, that looks more like Chandler. I'm seeing some really nice Fleets. Makes me want to go in the garage and get to work.

Do you belong to a club out there? If so, what club?

Bob

retransit 09-17-2012 05:27 PM

ORIGINAL: dreid

I just subscribed. My first giant scale was a Concept Fleet in 1977. I have a kit in storage to do and have chosen my color scheme.
Do you need a number?

Bob

retransit 09-17-2012 05:29 PM

Jim, you're number 9.

Bob

retransit 09-17-2012 05:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
For some of you guys not familiar with my crashed Fleet, the pics in post #1 are the same aircraft. It was a 25 or 30 year old Fleet that was given to me (free). I had to completely refurbish it and I added an ASP 5-cylinder 4-stroke for power. Free only cost me $1700 by the time I was finished.

The pic below is what I did to it.

Bob

dabrown 09-17-2012 06:34 PM

Put me down too as a member of this extraordinary group. I'm building Concept 1/4 scale, Quadra 35 power.

Dave

retransit 09-17-2012 06:46 PM

Dave, welcome. You're #10

Bob

Cliff Ozier 09-17-2012 06:58 PM

Please count me in Bob, I've been wanting to build the Concept Fleet for 25 some odd years and have been working on an acquisition for over a year and finally tomorrow or Wednesday will take delivery.
(trying to upload pic)

Cliff

retransit 09-17-2012 07:03 PM

Since I asked John for a video previously, here's my first flight, the airplane's second. Nothing great, just getting used to the sticks.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3JUP...2&feature=plcp

Bob

retransit 09-17-2012 07:13 PM

You are #11 Cliff. Good luck with your acquisition.

Bob