RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   Multiplex Big Lift (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/11238667-multiplex-big-lift.html)

Frank Schwartz 09-23-2012 10:25 PM

Multiplex Big Lift

Does anyone have a wing kit or a set of wing plans for the Multiplex Big Lift? I enherited a mint fuselage with tail feathers and landing gear, but need a wing for it.....possibly a cowl, too.
Thanks,
Frank Schwartz
P.S. Please reply to my email at [email protected]

Taurus Flyer 09-26-2012 02:39 AM

RE: Multiplex Big Lift

1 Attachment(s)
Frank, Still no answer?

To bring your request under attention again I do have a question for you!
Is this you? Photograph 1? Did you fly the Taurus with the Citizen radio?

After all, the forum is about Golden age, vintage and antque RC, and if it was you it
must have been your "Golden age"!

A photograph of our activities in de past, the Big Lift of one of my club members pulling my ASK18 (14ft), this was 1980 , can be some earlier or later.

Good luck with the Big Lift project.

Cees

Frank Schwartz 09-26-2012 06:26 AM

Yes, that is me when I was a bit younger. And I did fly Citizenship stuff for a long time. I worked with Vernon McNabb and developed his first relayless servo series for him.
K&B 45 and it flew just fine.....where did you find tha tpicture??? MAN Archives?

Still no response from anyone for the big lift. Multiplex/Hitec here in the USA said they had nothing on the Big Lift...

Taurus Flyer 09-26-2012 08:16 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Frank, hello,

Citizen Ship vs Multiplex.

The ASK18 was controlled by my Multiplex transmitter I still use to fly my Taurus today! See the second photograph.

Ihe Big Lift is still rather popular in the Netherlands and I understand you need the plans for the earliest model. Strange nobody shows up.

I will ask my club members because there is still a Big Lift in our club today.

Oh, photograph of the ASK18 and the Multiplex transmitter, that is me when I was a bit younger!

Your photograph?
Pilots wiht a Taurus I store in my memory!!!
You write: "K&B 45 and it flew just fine....."

Really? For me it was a Veco , W4KFK!!

Next post I will write you where the photgrpah did came from, ...... have fun,

Cees

Frank Schwartz 10-12-2012 12:40 AM

Well, I found a set of wings...just need a bit of sheeting, repair and covering. Now all I need is the length of the struts...
Thanks to everyone who gave me input...

Taurus Flyer 10-12-2012 03:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello Frank,

Is the problem you don't know the dihedral or ..... you cannot calculate the length of the strut?

Culculating the length for 0 degree dihedral can be done by Phytagoras for example, see the picture.
I think the dihedral is 1 degree (check??) , so the length of the strut about 1 % more, as calculated by Phyt.

BTW the photograph of post 2 I did find in a Grid Leaks magazin. these were visible on the internet for a period.

Cees

Frank Schwartz 10-12-2012 12:17 PM

Thanks for the info and the formula. It's been many, many decades since college Algebra and Trig and I cannot remember any of it, but with the trusty calculator, I can do the math......
Odd, too, as that photo seems to show ailerons. The Big Lift as the kit I built was strictly three channels....and we all know if you are using rudder for control only, you need some serious dihedral......
One degree seems a bit small, though....
Frank

Taurus Flyer 10-12-2012 12:44 PM

You are right Frank, for rudder control you need more dihedral but I've never seen a Big lift without ailerons!
When I observe the photographs the dihedral isn't much, nearly zero, so I think one or two degrees for the wings WITH ailerons.

Cees

Frank Schwartz 10-12-2012 02:33 PM

Oh, my! Mine did not have ailerons and I found the wings we used. My friend who had the plane for a while had them stored...and stripped of covering (Monokote) and he lost the struts ....and it did not have ailerons....but I suppose I had best install some now that I have the framework back again. The fuselage and tail and landing gear are perfect...and servos in the plane are still there...he lost the plastic cowling, too. We had a struggling .60 on it...but I have a very nice 23 CC gasoline engnine to us on it...and I suppose I will have to forget about a cowling....no matter......

Originally we used the tow fitting on top of the front of the fuselage with a release...worked very nicely....

Frank

Taurus Flyer 10-12-2012 03:53 PM

Frank,

with a 23 cc gasoine engine on front I would prefer ailerons for the wings.
We often see the Big Lift with zero degrees dihedral, I think the original has 1,5 degree for each wing and so 3 degrees dihedral total, that would be my preference too.
An example you see in my photograph of post 2.

Would it a suggestion to make the struts adjustable??

Cees