RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   Does anyone know what this might be? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/11278193-does-anyone-know-what-might.html)

benbishop98 10-27-2012 06:41 PM

Does anyone know what this might be?

1 Attachment(s)

A friend at work told me he pulled this plane out of a neighbors trash a few years back and just left it sit in the garage. He asked me if I wanted it and of course I did. Anyways, besides the swatstica, it is a pretty cool looking plane. It has a Veco .45 engine on it that I got to turn. I think I can get it going fairly easily. Iam going to try to attach some pictures. I took the engine pictures before I cleaned it up. It cleaned up really nice. Well if anyone knows what this might be, has or had a veco and knows any secret tips let me know! I am planning on recovering it because the frame seems pretty solid.</p>

benbishop98 10-27-2012 06:44 PM

RE: Does anyone know what this might be?

If anyone is interested in old electronics I will be disecting this thing pretty soon and I'll let everyone know about the servos and reciever and what ever else might be of interest.

vicman 10-27-2012 08:04 PM

Looks like an FW 150?
What does the radio gear look like?

Laird SS 10-27-2012 08:41 PM

Are you sure you don't mean an FW-190? A Google search didn't turn up anything on an FW-150.

vicman 10-28-2012 04:13 AM

stoopid whiskey, messes with my fingers. :D Yeah, 190

WEDJ 10-28-2012 04:16 AM

ORIGINAL: Laird SS

Are you sure you don't mean an FW-190? A Google search didn't turn up anything on an FW-150.
Yea, in a "stand way off" kinda scale

flyinwalenda 10-28-2012 04:40 AM

ORIGINAL: benbishop98

Anyways, besides the swatstica, it is a pretty cool looking plane.
</p>
I don't see any Swastika on it , and there should be one on the vertical stab.

benbishop98 10-28-2012 05:35 AM

the swatstika is on the other side. i tried to put up more pictures but i was limited by size for some reason.

JohnBuckner 10-28-2012 06:06 AM

Definately a sorta wantabe fighter probably derived from a sport Rc airplane from the seventies. The engine is probably from the early sixties. As already stated it has similar features of the 190 but also the 109 as well. Its really only just a characture of either.

The Veco may well be a much bigger challange than you think and remember you will need fuel of much higher oil content than is common now.

It definately will be interesting what the electronic are so please do post photos. Not likely of much value but interesting to some folks like me who collect modeling oddities.

John

Fleet 10-28-2012 06:11 AM

VECO 45 , Wow! I haven't seen one in years. T'was a powerhouse. I had a VECO 35 RC. Had a unique exhaust flap that would come down with the throttle to keep the heat in. Mid 1960s era.

What a find, hope it is salvageable. The hinges was a '60s style that followed well into the '70s. Would there be Kraft servos within?

Ray W.
Fleet Brotherhood #7

benbishop98 10-28-2012 07:21 AM

i'm going to be tearing into it in a couple hours, damn rain. i was wondering about the exhaust flap. the plane seems very heavy for that engine. not even sure if it ever left the ground. i have wildcat 15% for my planes. what should i add for extra lubricant? any special glow plugs? i have a os #8 i was going to put in there and see what happens.

TFF 10-28-2012 08:17 AM

It is probably a Midwest 109 with some help. There were some "air show" plans built kind of scale planes where you could make good and bad from the basic airframe; used for mock dogfights with no tear shead if crashed. I doubt it is a Platt 190. What is it made from and is there part markings on the inside?

Love To build 10-28-2012 08:21 AM

Given the engine and size it could be a Champion FW190. A Nick Ziroli design

warbird_1 10-28-2012 08:53 AM

FYI.. if you take that engine to a local shop that has a carburetor acid bath ,you can make that engine look like new. it would make a nice display piece. I've done it on some old free flight stuff i had .

warbird_1 10-28-2012 09:08 AM

defiantly a stand off scale FW 190 .

benbishop98 10-28-2012 10:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
getting into it

benbishop98 10-28-2012 10:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
notice the groove on the piston? i have never seen that before. and the gas tank says pylon brand ss-12

TFF 10-28-2012 11:01 AM

Red and White. World had great ads, but I hear Dave Brown's radios were gutted and something else put in. Not shnurle ported; standard for the day. They were good engines. Sullivan tank.

JohnBuckner 10-28-2012 11:46 AM

The piston dam indicates a loop scavanged engine and was intended to give the incoming mixture a deflection up and into the glow plug and back down and out the exhaust which was directly across from the transfer port. This was the most common porting on engines of that period before the introduction of early forms of ***** porting.

Many early engines of the period that featured throttles also used the articulated exhaust baffle senario in which the baffle was articulated with the throttle barrel.

The World brand radio system puts the systems age to the late sixties perhap early seventies but check the servo plugs to see how many conductors there are three or four? The four lead systems are a bit earlier. Note if you remove the servo output are you will see the the output bushing is a square and not round. Earlier servos tended to be a long rod output from the top or ends and not rotary.

Fun to look at the stuff and if you fly the airplane do not use any of the electronics and also recomend not useing that engine unless you just want to play with it. It will be a challange.

You will find that older RC airplanes and I mean airplanes that were designed for older RC systems tended to use smaller engines than what we would use today.

John

JohnBuckner 10-28-2012 11:58 AM

Just for giggles you will find that the 72.240 frequency is no longer a a legal frequency for us as it is now between todays still existing channel 22 and 23. It is now a commercial frequency for industry.

John

JohnBuckner 10-28-2012 12:17 PM

If you attempt to run it. First make sure the articulated baffle is hooked up to the throttle arm a functioning with wth the throttle barrel.

Concerning fuel I would make sure the oil content was up to around 24% and preferably a large portion of that oil is caster. No more than perhaps 10% nitro is needed.

For the glow plug definately acquire a glow bar plug and K&B fortunately still makes them. These types of engine is specifically why the glow bar plugs were introduced and the idea is to sheild the glow coil a little bit as that fresh mixture is sprayed directly into the coil from that piston dam. This primarily during idle and it prevented quinching the fires during idle, at least hopefully.

John

jetmech43 10-28-2012 01:46 PM

yeah world expert I had one, servos where junk

benbishop98 10-28-2012 01:49 PM

thanks for all the imput everybody! i am still fairly new to the hobby and i have learned a lot the past two days.  thanks john for the glow plug and fuel advice.  i was just going to throw in a os #8 and see what happened.  and as far as the electronics go there is no way i would even think about using them.  they are shot.  they may look ok but when i try to move them by hand they are froze up. even if they seemed ok i would not want to put all the work it would take to get the plane how i want it to turn out and then risk putting it in the air with ancient electronics or an engine that i will probably never fully trust. 

warbird_1 10-28-2012 03:23 PM

ORIGINAL: benbishop98

notice the groove on the piston? i have never seen that before. and the gas tank says pylon brand ss-12
yes i have seen that before on the older engines like my old supertiger V21 series .46

vicman 10-29-2012 01:21 PM

I always like how those scavenge port engines sound on a down leg with the cool worble backfire.