RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   Ryan STA/STM Brotherhood (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/11328918-ryan-sta-stm-brotherhood.html)

raptureboy 12-12-2012 07:50 AM

Ryan STA/STM Brotherhood

1 Attachment(s)
All right all you Ryan fans here is your chance to join in with your fellow Ryan brothers( and sisters, not to leave anyone out) in sharing your love for this classic golden age beauty. Thisbrotherhood was born out of a great thread, going on right now of the kit produced by Sig Mfg. Unfortunately it was discontinued, but there are quite a few of these kits surfacing in various stages. Since it was my idea that a brotherhood should be started I was elected to start this off. Thats what I get for posting out loud,LOL. Any way the host of a great build thread, VincentJ is doing a bang up job of building this kit over here.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_11...m.htm#11208903 He has really done an outstanding job not only constructing this beauty but of sharing all his skills in a well documented build. Show us your Ryan STA or any variation of this classic, or evenpictures of aircraft you've had the pleasure of seeing or finding. I'll start off with my humble ARF from Great planes, also discontinuedhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../sad_smile.gifof which I am in the process of trying to improve and restore into a little more of an original. It's powered with a DLE-20 and Xoar 17-6 prop and really flies like a dream and looks very cool on a slow flyby or pulling a big loop on a clear blue sky day. All you have to do to join is post here and let me know you want to join and I will add you to the list.

Ryan STA/STM Brotherhood roster

#1 Raptureboy, PA
#2 VincentJ, NH

lovehydro 12-12-2012 08:37 AM

RE: Ryan STA/STM Brotherhood

OK, sign me up. Late this fall I will be starting my NIB Byron Ryan. I will be replacing all the foam parts with wood built up parts and all the plastic parts with molded fiberglass parts. It will be powered by a 3w 42cc engine with working exhaust.
Please sign me up
lovehydro

raptureboy 12-12-2012 08:54 AM

Welcome aboard lovehydro! Make sure you share some pics when you get started. Oh and no smoking that funny stuff now when your building or flying http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

#1 Raptureboy, PA
#2 VincentJ, NH <span class="info">
#3 lovehydro, WA</span>

acerc 12-12-2012 08:55 AM

I'm in. I have the plans and manual via VJ. Will start it after the Pitts.

raptureboy 12-12-2012 08:58 AM

All right ACE I knew you would be here soon. I may regret thishttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...used_smile.gif

#1 Raptureboy, PA
<font color="#242424">#3 lovehydro, WA</font></span>
#4 Acerc, FL

acerc 12-12-2012 09:07 AM

Thank's Rapure.And you just might!

I_Fly 12-12-2012 09:45 AM

Please count me in.   I love these planes and hope to have one someday. 

raptureboy 12-12-2012 09:54 AM

I- fly from MI got ya and welcome to the brother hood. Better snatch one up while they can still be found.

#1 Raptureboy, PA
#4 Acerc, FL
#5 I-Fly, MI

VincentJ 12-12-2012 10:24 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Thanks a bunch Raptureboy for spearheading this, yes it's work but then anything worthwile is isn't it....

This is what my current Ryan looks like, I will be sure to upate this thread as I make significant changes.

Yank II 12-12-2012 11:22 AM

Sign me up. As soon as the building table is clear, this is next.
Jim

MajorTomski 12-12-2012 11:25 AM

If I still had mine I'd join. Dumbest move I ever did was sell my Top Flite ARF civilian version.

culver 12-12-2012 02:38 PM

Sign me up, I love Ryans.

RickBoyer 12-12-2012 05:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Cliff,

Put me on your list! I've built two Ryan STA's (1/4 and 1/5 scale) and my 1/5 scale won first place in Non Military Sport Scale at Toledo 2012. Here's a photo....

Rick Boyer

Top Gun 2004-2012
Pitts Special S-1S (#1)
Ryan STA
Pitts Special S-1s (#2)

raptureboy 12-12-2012 06:43 PM

Wow this is awesome glad to see there are so many fans! Welcome aboard yank II, Culver and RIck. Hey Rick this is Cliff Nash from TCWSI've been looking at your Ryan in the ads and she is beautiful. I'd be afraid to even start the enginehttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...ey/msn/eek.gif let alone fly her, but I don't have room for a hanger queen. They fly or they die. LOL

#1 Raptureboy, PA
#4 Acerc, FL
#5 I-Fly, MI
#6 Yank II, AZ
#7 Culver, PA
#8 Rick Boyer, PA

Daniel-EL 12-12-2012 07:08 PM

I think I'll jump on the bandwagon here, too. Like lovehydro, I have a NIB Byron Ryan STA that I have been reluctant to start building. Charlie Fuller was my inspiration for buying it. He built one in '92 that was absolutely beautiful, using monokote chrome stick-on covering doctored up to look like weathered metal. It got a MAN write-up, which I have kept inside the box. He powered his with a Quadra 42 which seemed to fit the bill nicely. I'd like to know how lovehydro got a scale working exhaust for his 3W 42.

raptureboy 12-12-2012 07:19 PM

Welcome Daniel EL and I hope we can inspire you to break out the box and clean off the bench sir! Has anyone been having issuues with loading pictures today? Ihave tried all day to load 1 picture of my plane at the start of the thread and Ijust now got it to load and it took over 5 min!

#1 Raptureboy, PA
#4 Acerc, FL
#5 I-Fly, MI
#6 Yank II, AZ
#7 Culver, PA
#8 Rick Boyer, PA
#9 Daniel EL. OH

RBardin 12-12-2012 09:11 PM

I'm a certifiable Ryan nut - sign me up! I have 2 O.S. Ryan kits (one built but never flown - one NIB) a Great Planes kit, a Sig kit and giant scale Golden Age Models kit. Still looking a NIB Byron kit.

Rusty

Stickbuilder 12-13-2012 06:47 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Daniel-EL

I think I'll jump on the bandwagon here, too. Like lovehydro, I have a NIB Byron Ryan STA that I have been reluctant to start building. Charlie Fuller was my inspiration for buying it. He built one in '92 that was absolutely beautiful, using monokote chrome stick-on covering doctored up to look like weathered metal. It got a MAN write-up, which I have kept inside the box. He powered his with a Quadra 42 which seemed to fit the bill nicely. I'd like to know how lovehydro got a scale working exhaust for his 3W 42.
If you decide to build it, I am doing one right now, but I drew up a set of wing plans and framed up the wings for it. They are so much better than the molded foam wings.......I'm sending the plans to another builder who is going to copy them to a disc or PDF and make them available if you want to do it.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

raptureboy 12-13-2012 08:43 AM

RBardin, share the love man! Maybe you and MajorTomski should strike a deal.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../msn/heart.gif Your on the list. Now start building and flying these things.http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

#1 Raptureboy, PA
#4 Acerc, FL
#5 I-Fly, MI
#6 Yank II, AZ
#7 Culver, PA
#8 Rick Boyer, PA
#9 Daniel EL. OH
#10 RBardin,GA

VincentJ 12-13-2012 08:44 AM

Bill, looks like it's going together well... I love that fuse.

Jeff Worsham 12-13-2012 02:09 PM

Count me in! Always loved the STA but haven't time to build so found the GP ARF for sale here on RCU. Just got the Robart struts and am hoping to start the project after the first of the year. Will need to get proper graphics made. I'd like to add a little detail to the ARF as well.

Cub Flyer Fresno 12-13-2012 05:53 PM

Hmmm... Can I get in even if I haven't built one yet?  I know people that are building as we speak!  If I can still find a Sig Ryan STA when I have the funds to do so, it may be next.

raptureboy 12-13-2012 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Your in brother. and if you are looking for a good source of graphics in your area try Callie Graphics. She does great custom work and has stock insignia already priced out. She did the the work on my Ryan and some nose art for me. http://callie-graphics.com/index.php

#1 Raptureboy, PA
#4 Acerc, FL
#5 I-Fly, MI
#6 Yank II, AZ
#7 Culver, PA
#8 Rick Boyer, PA
#9 Daniel EL. OH
#10 RBardin,GA
#11 Jeff W, NM

RickBoyer 12-13-2012 06:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Still have this one for sale on RCU under scale if anyone's interested, set up for RC or UC.....

Rick Boyer

Top Gun 2004-2012
Pitts Special S-1S (#1)
Ryan STA
Pitts Special S-1s (#2)

Jaybird 12-13-2012 07:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Rick,

Are those control line leads extending out the side of the fusealge just behind the brace? Beautiful plane.

I've just this evening picked up a partially built SIG kit from the wife of a former club member. An e-mail went out a few days listing a few planes that were for sale and a Ryan STA was among them. Very nice woman and she was very helpful and pleased it was going to a "good home". It looked pretty sound and well built although it has been sitting for a long time and was quite dusty and dirty. The first couple of pictures show it as it arrived at my home. After about a half hour with some Simply Green heavy duty cleaner and Windex it looks pretty good. All of the plastic parts seem to be there and the instruction manual. The plans though were not found. I assume there is a lot of information on the plans that I will need to finish this. Is there a way to get a set of plans from someone? What size wheels does this plane take? It's not listed in the manual.

I guess I'd have to call it a "KBARF" Kit Built - ARF. Can I get a number too?

Jaybird
WACO Brother #223