RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   McCoy 60 Redhead Questions (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/1681519-mccoy-60-redhead-questions.html)

BobHH 04-01-2004 07:07 PM

McCoy 60 Redhead Questions

1 Attachment(s)
Guys, just picked up a box of vintage engines and in the process of IDing some of them. To my surprise I have a McCoy 60 in the metal box. Appears to never been run but has an air bleed type RC carb on the back!!! Any ideas if this was a conversion offered later on? Everything looks quality machined. I had one of these a few years back and sent it to a fellow who was racing vintage controline but it was the black case version. This engine has glow plug and no ignition parts. Anybody know where I can get the original venturi and needle assembly? It is most likely going on E-Bay because I really can't use it in my vintage RC stuff along with several other engines in the box. May give some away at the VRCS flyin in June and/or possibly do some swapping. Anyone know of anyone supplying older engine parts such as needle valves and such?

Thanks,

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com

Deadstik 04-01-2004 09:56 PM

RE: McCoy 60 Redhead Questions

1 Attachment(s)
Bob,

Small world. I thought I would get out my mint McCoy 60 Red Head so we could compare the carbs. Quite a piece of work. I wish we got the cool metal boxes now...we should... anyway.. here is what a mint Red Head looks like.

Looking forward to your VCRS meet !!

Dan
aka deadstik......[8D]

CoosBayLumber 04-01-2004 10:12 PM

Bob:

Talked to the oldsters about a similar McCoy about two months ago. Seems there are three different threads and diameters for most all of the rear rotor types. You need to get out the thread pitch gage before buying anything.

Wm.

spud8939 04-01-2004 11:24 PM

You might want to think carefully about what you are going to do with that engine. In that condition, in the metal box , you can probably get upwards of $350.00 for it on ebay---
Good luck,
spud8939

big max 1935 04-02-2004 05:04 PM

BobHH, Every thing you need is available from Burnis Ray in Colo. You need a style "D" intake 1/2 by 32 thread , his is NOS . He also has the needle valve assy but may be repo. They made 4 sizes of intakes . You can reach him at [email protected] .MAX H.

BobHH 04-02-2004 09:34 PM

Thanks Max, I just e-mailed him on the parts.

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com

BobHH 04-06-2004 07:07 AM

Max, just placed an order with Burnis. He has a lot of parts for several engines. I even got the rubber exhaust cover for the 60! Now if I were ever to run this girl I have a RC conversion also! Still debating on keeping it or swapping it for a wide format plotter. We will see.

Thanks again for your help.

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com

Connery 05-03-2004 03:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just sold mine on ebay for $500. I think maybe I should have put the "buy it now" price a little higher, as someone from Japan did the buy it now option within 2 hours of me posting the auction. Mine had the original instructions, dark blue metal box, all the internal cardboard packing, needle valve, rubber exhaust cover and the cardboard box that the metal box went into.

nipmuck2 05-18-2011 02:51 PM

I have a McCoy "60" Red Head racing engine that is frozen. I also have a McCoy 35, seems and looks new (frozen) McCoy 35 used (frozen) and a McCoy 29. How can I loosen the varnish without hurting the engine. I will take pictures later.

Jim Thomerson 05-18-2011 05:36 PM

WD40 is a good solvent for getting engines unstuck.

big max 1935 05-18-2011 07:16 PM

Use a heat gun on them & then try to turn them clock-wise. Glow fuel is the best to wash them out with. Keep at it & they will come loose. Keep the #@%* pliers off it. Max H. :)

nipmuck2 05-19-2011 04:22 AM

Thanks guys for the tips. I will try bothe methods and not use the pliers. :)

big max 1935 05-19-2011 07:02 AM

I use a 1 foot piece of oak or maple the thickness of a prop & drill a prop hole in one end . Makes a better lever than a prop .You can also use a propane torch for heat. Reason for the reverse rotation is that the prop nut will not unscrew. Good luck, Max H. :)

Michaelj2k 05-19-2011 07:32 AM

Initially the engine was designed for spark ignition use in tethered race cars. In the early to mid 1960's there was a lack of large engines available to power scale RC models, the biggest at the time was the K & B Green Head .45 used by most of the pattern pilots. The McCoy .60 being readily available, could be converted to glow power with maybe a Johnson carburetor adapted for throttle control. Scale modelers liked it as it was able to swing a large prop with ease. Claude McCollough used the engine in his Douglas XTB2D-1 Destroyer and Martin AM-1 Marauder designs. Dave Platt used one in his T-28. Until the advent of the Veco .61 and Super Tigre .60 in 1964 and 1965, that's all that was available.

concentrics 11-19-2012 03:26 PM

Gents, Burnis Ray has passed away a couple of years ago but his son is still handling the engine parts business. You can reach Kyle Ray @ 303.979.7517. He would be glad to help you with anything you may need.

bcracer1 02-08-2017 11:58 PM

Loosen a 'Stuck' motor the easy way

Originally Posted by nipmuck2 (Post 10528094)
I have a McCoy "60" Red Head racing engine that is frozen. I also have a McCoy 35, seems and looks new (frozen) McCoy 35 used (frozen) and a McCoy 29. How can I loosen the varnish without hurting the engine. I will take pictures later.

To loosen the engine remove the plug --- take a heat gun and heat the cylinder until its hot--turn the prop nut and the engine will free up. Let it cool and then oil it lightly with a high quality synthetic gun oil---I have done this countless times. Good luck!