RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   Lou Andrews aeromaster bipe ..Any info ?? (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/1682151-lou-andrews-aeromaster-bipe-any-info.html)

bobo_54501 04-01-2004 10:28 PM

Lou Andrews aeromaster bipe ..Any info ??

Hi
I picked up this good looking old Bipe awhile back . I didnt have any info on it or even knew what it was till today .I showed it to a fellow and he said it was a Lou Andrews Aeromaster .I was told this was a vintage plane and a real nice flyer ..
Its got a 45 to 46 inch wing span on it .The top wing is kinda of a sweap wing while the bottom is conventional . The main wing spars look almost even at the tips of the wings ..So my ?? is What size of a motor can you fly this on ?? Will a OS FS 46 do ?? Where the heck is the CG on it ..Was told on the spar of the lower wing because both wing tips are even at the ends ..Sound Right ??? Is this a Good gentle flying bipe ?? Any tip stalling or bad tendencies ..?? I can Fly the wings off a trainer . Have low wing tail dragger expierce but have been only flying 1 1/2 Years .I can fly a super chipmunk with no problems (( Unless I get to crazy ))) L.O.L.... Am I ready for this plane ??
Any and all info ild be greatfull for . Ild love to have this bird in the air but dont want to kill a sweet old plane ..

bobo_54501 04-01-2004 10:30 PM

RE: Lou Andrews aeromaster bipe ..Any info ??

OPPS SORRY on the motor I meant OS Sf 46 Not FS 46

Deadstik 04-01-2004 11:25 PM

bobo,

The bipe you have is quite possibly the best biplane ever designed. It has absolutly NO bad habits. I've built at least 4 with every wing variation. The version you have is the "middle of the road" set up that rolls very well but isn't really "twitchy" in aileron control. My favorite is the 3rd way which is both wings swept. Ernie Huber once campaigned that plane in pattern at the Nats.. think it was around 1965-66. Anyway... for power.. put on a good .60.. I have flown them w/K&B .61s and with OS .61 FSR/ABCs... a .45 will fly it.. but not the way it was intended.

As to CG.. let me dig out the plans in the morning and I'll get you a dimension. I'm positive MANY people in this forum can give you info on this plane.. but.. if I can be of any help, just let me know.

You won't kill it.. it doesn't snap unless you make it, and makes 3 point landings look commonplace... it should NEVER have gone out of production...

Dan..

aka deadstik...[8D]

dmtm2004 08-30-2004 03:27 PM

I AM LOOKING FOR A COWL FOR A 60 SIZE ANDREWS BI-PLANE. I HAVE A SUPER TIGER 61 ON THIS PLANE. ANY IDEAS.

THANKS

DAVE

Deadstik 08-30-2004 09:39 PM

Dave,

I'm sure Great Planes can get you a replacement or, if not, there are 2 or 3 companies that make replacement fiberglass cowlings. I'm drawing a blank on a name right now, but just do a search on fiberglass cowlings and I am sure you will find one. By the way, the Aeromaster really looks best w/o that fiberglass round cowling. When it was originally designed, it had a fuselage designed like a small pattern ship and biplane configuration. So, the engine was cowled in nicely w/a spinner. If you need anything else on the plane, let me know.

Dan

aka deadstik

F106A 09-01-2004 03:23 PM

Hi,
For the record, IMO, the Great planes Aeromaster is a completely different animal. The Andrews kit, which I built 3, with the two wings swept, was the BEST bipe ever kitted. The wings required some care in building, but in those days you had to build your model, no ARF's. The front of the fuse was 1/2 balsa the was routed out to accept the firewall and the cabane sets, it was called Lock Box Construction, made the setting of the top wing incidence a non issue, you couldn't do it wrong! Glued to that was full length 1/8 balsa sides. Start with the recommended c/g, then keep moving it back until it snaps at the top of a loop with no input from you, then move it forward a bit. Also, make sure the aileron gaps are sealed, it makes a BIG difference in the roll rate. The original used rubberbands for both wings and the l/g, Great Planes used nylon bolts
I saw the Great Plane version fly and it just didn't seem to fly like the original.
I had an Enya 60 III and a Webra 61 blackhead in mine in the days before mufflers!
BRG,
Jon

Cobra1 09-09-2004 12:08 PM

What a great Bipe! I saw one fly and had to have one. I never built it because I didn't want to build two wings, I had a hard time getting one straight - what was I thinking!

F106A, what squadron were you with? I was with the 84FIS in Calif.

djay 09-09-2004 01:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I picked up an old bipe at a show bring and buy last year, it turned out to be an aeromaster. have a merco 61 in it, same vintage as the aircraft, it is my best flyer I have out of 12 aircraft I own, it is a little gem to fly, as fast or docile as you want. wish they still made them so I could make a new one to go with it.

Bax 09-09-2004 04:53 PM

When the Aeromaster was redesigned into the Great Planes Aeromaster, the outline, areas, airfoils, shapes, and moments did not change. The kit was changed to reflect more modern kit production methods.

Well-built Great Planes Aeromasters flew exactly the same as well-built Andrews Aeromasters. Any differences in flying would be the result of how the kit was constructed, balanced, and flown. Not from any differences in the designs.

Bob-I 09-09-2004 09:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Bax

When the Aeromaster was redesigned into the Great Planes Aeromaster, the outline, areas, airfoils, shapes, and moments did not change. The kit was changed to reflect more modern kit production methods.

Well-built Great Planes Aeromasters flew exactly the same as well-built Andrews Aeromasters. Any differences in flying would be the result of how the kit was constructed, balanced, and flown. Not from any differences in the designs.
That's good to hear, are the kits still available?

My Andrews bit the dust just before I left the hobby in 1990 after a good 7-8 years in the air. Flying inverted I lost elevator control so the elevator was stuck slightly down. I flew for a few seconds inverted then decided to land, when I rolled over she nosed in, nothing left. Playing Monday morning quarterback, I should've landed inverted and minimized the damage.

http://www.patmedia.net/bob-ingram/Aeromaster.jpg

It's covered with polyester cloth from a fabric store doped, powered with a K&B .60 spinning a Zinger 12x6. The cowl was fiberglass mold made by a friend who's since passed away.

Bax 09-13-2004 11:55 AM

After many years of production, the Aeromaster went out of production because demand finally fell too low to support the kit. We'd have no idea if Great Planes has any plans to revive itany time soon.

HighPlains 09-16-2004 09:08 PM

Well Bill, how about Great Plains selling the rights to the Andrews line, or making them into ARF's. For instance, the Trainermaster is a great flying airplane, while the Sportster is a bit of a dog. Trainermaster weighs about 4 1/2 lb, while sportster is about 5 1/2. Maybe modern is not so good when it comes to a classic designs. Or does Great Plains want to put arms on David?

kdheath 09-16-2004 10:08 PM

David has his arms nicely intact, thank you.

davidej 10-29-2004 02:06 PM

Obviously the aeromaster still has great appeal to a certain type of flyer. i would include myself in this category.

Does anyone have a set of plans for sale or loan?

thermal 10-31-2004 09:15 PM

I'm very interested in trying to build an aeromaster biplane. I've been told that it is one of the easiest flying bipes ever designed. I understand that it is out of production...does anyone have a set of plans that they would be interested in selling or in some way letting me make a copy?

Thanks
Bob

PlaneKrazee 11-02-2004 06:12 PM

How does the Sig Hog Bipe compare to the Aeromaster? The Hog is pretty easy to fly.

vtx1800 11-03-2004 05:06 PM

If ya still want plans try
Item number: 5930943833 on EBAY.
Someone is also auctioning a GP kit. It wasn't a cheap kit when it was new.
Try a search under aeromaster.

Cutlass 60 11-04-2004 05:31 PM

I had an Aeromaster some years ago and flew it for four years with a Supertigre 61 in it. I am now flying an Astro Hog Bipe with a Saito 80 in it. They both fly wonderfully, but my vote goes to the Hog Bipe if only because it is an easier build. Flying qualities are about the same IMHO. I think that a lot of flyers will agree with me because Sig is still making kits but GP is not. Although Aeromasters command some hefty prices on Ebay, I think the Hog Bipe is a better buy if you are going to build and fly. If you are a collector, then that is another story altogether

BobHH 11-04-2004 07:19 PM

Funny thing I saw an Aeromaster kit NIB at the Danville, VA swap meet a few weeks back for $100.00. I would have bought it but already have one!!

Bob Harris
Early RC Models
www.earlyrcmodels.com

moodier 11-07-2004 11:21 PM

HI;Interesting I must be the only person in the world that dislikes the Hog Bipe!!Have an Astro-Hog and liked it so though the bipe would be the same,was very disappointed used a Mag 91 4 stroke and it flew tried a 61FX and barely got off the ground looked like a helicopter hanging on the prop got down in one piece and gave it away to fellow who wanted something to hang in his garage!The Aeeromaster sure sounds interesting though. Still have 8 bipes left so will survive without it I guess.

Joe Nagy 11-11-2004 02:25 AM

Hi Everyone;

Greetings from the 'Valley of the Sun'.

I just spotted a set of Aeromaster Bipe plans for sale in eBay; check out # 5933672188, sale is in 5 days, so you have lots of time. Best regards from sunnyand warm Phoenix,

Joe Nagy.

moodier 11-11-2004 08:49 AM

HI;I think there is a kit for sale now ont the marketplace.Didn't read the add to close but am sure that is what it was.To lazy to build a kit so didn't look real close!Good luck!

perdo 11-13-2004 01:53 PM

FOr those looking for the Cowl for the aeromaster go to fiberglassspecialtiesinc.com and don't expect then to ship over night they get an order make the part and then ship. what I have bought from them has always ben great quality.

topwinguk 11-14-2004 01:14 PM

I have had an original Lou Andrews Aeromaster plan for some years and have always shied off scratch building it due to the complexity of the design. It is a fantastically well drawn plan and needs a bit of studying to understand the construction of the fuselage without reference to a kit of parts. Anyway I have bitten the bullit and started construction a week or so ago. The difficult bit is the cabane struts and the fixings for them and I had to make some pretty extensive jigs to get the accuracey required. It is now well on the way but in retrospect I would have made the cabane fixings to the fus sides simpler rather than routing out slots in 1/4 ply. The design is certainly sturdy and I know what a marvelous flyer it is, one of my friends has built 8 over the past 30 years. That's got to say something for the design.

kpmacaz 11-28-2004 09:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I bought a old Great Plains "Super AeroMaster" (Lou Andrews). It has a Enya 60X. I put a new glow plug in it and it started!! Wow that Enya has a lot of compression. I have a high torque starter and it takes everything it has to start this engine! I painted it to match my PT-19 so they can look like cousins.

As I said I bought this plane at our club auction for $100.00 with plans. If anyone has any specific questions about the plans or anything I will try to answer.

I am attaching pics of the plane since painting. I hope I figured out how to attach pics?

When I fly it I will take video and post a link. Probably next weekend. If the pics don't work you can email me and I will send you the pics.