RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   Scientific "Miss America" (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/1837790-scientific-%22miss-america%22.html)

b35853 05-22-2004 09:08 PM

Scientific "Miss America"

I building a Scientific "Miss America"
a 1935 design by Frank Zaic. In the plans
it call for the sides to be covered by
Sig Kromekote. I can't find any thing on
Sig Kromekote, I'm assuming it is some
sort of monokote in the pre-monokote
days. The nose of the ship is to covered
with it also. What modern product can I
use to finish my plane with and still keep
the vintage flavor.:eek:

Dsegal 05-22-2004 10:00 PM

RE: Scientific "Miss America"

1 Attachment(s)
I spent today getting a suntan and flying my Miss America while sitting in a chair so I could follow it up high into the sky. Climb to altitude, shut off the engine and circle around with the turkey vultures. Mine is built from Norm Rosenstock's 62" version published in Model Aviation in 1994. It is one sweet old-timer. Power is an OS.10FP.

b35853 05-22-2004 10:23 PM

Thanks for the pic, I hope mine
turns out as well as yours did. I
Have all my frame parts made
I'm still sanding and considering
engine choices, and hardware
& radio installation. Did your plans
have only one elevator flap on
the right side? I would like to
see more pics of your plane. Could
you remove the main wing and make
a picture of the servos.

big max 1935 05-23-2004 02:33 AM

I think Kromekote is a type of light cardboard that has a plastic type coating on one side . Think that also is a brand name & was not made by SIG. We used to cover foam wings with it & it finished up very nice . Friend of mine made a Miss America from a old kit & it had 1/64 plywood to cover the nose & fuselage sides back to the trailing edge of the wing . He might have stained it or just clear doped it . The rest of the plane was white Super Mono-coat & was very impressive looking ! Flew it for years! They are a nice old bird . Good luck , MAX H.

Dsegal 05-23-2004 08:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
While learning to use my new digital camera I shot the interiors of my planes, so here it is. I used a two-sided elevator, but I think one side would be adequate for flight trim. Egged on by bored kibitzers at the field yesterday I actually looped Miss America and did two barrel rolls just to shut them up which shows that the full elevator has a lot of power.

And I think Glen and Hazel Sig were not in the hobby business until nearly two decades after Zaic published the design.

b35853 05-23-2004 06:46 PM

Thanks for the picture, I see some things
I need to do to mine. This is only my
second scratch built plane, I've built alot
of kits and most of the guess work is done
for you. Next time you take it flying, take
your camera and make me some more
pictures.

kdheath 05-26-2004 09:52 AM

Kromekote is a coated shiny white cardstock. Makes a great window-frame and nose covering material for lighweight models. And a pretty decent foam core wing skin. But it does dent easily on a wing. The old Flite Line Skooter and Fun-Fly kits came with Kromekote covering.

http://www.artglitter.com/Merchant2/...egory_Code=acc

There, got it spelled right!

Dan Vincent 05-26-2004 10:28 AM

Dave Segal,
Thanks for posting your Miss America picture. I looked in the AMA plans and it was in Model Aviation, July 1994.

I liked your picture so much that I right-moused it as my screen background.

Do you know if there are plans out there for an .09 size Scientific "Mercury?" Someone used to make a 09 size replica kit but I forget who. Shoulda grabbed one when they were available.

Do you have any more .09 size cabin type pictures you could post?

Dsegal 05-26-2004 12:00 PM

John Pond had Mercury's listed in 30", 42", 50" and 72" spans. No idea when AMA will be able to sell these again. Model Builder has a 72" span plan and Bob Sliff has a kit for 72" size. See http://home.comcast.net/~bsli40/Page4.html#Old Timer Kits

You can see a photo of my .10 Quaker Flash at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Want...1769369/tm.htm

Dan Vincent 05-26-2004 06:09 PM

Dave,

Wow, a wealth of information in your post.

Your Quaker Flash-10 is a real gem.

My 54" Quaker is a Campbell kit. My Cleveland Cloudster is the same one shown on that site.

Looks like some of my allowance is going for freeflight models.

These old-timers fly with such elegance it's hard to imagine anyone not wanting at least one.

Thanks

b35853 05-26-2004 08:52 PM

kdHeath,

Thanks for the info, I've looked
all over the internet for kromekote.
I just didn't look in the right place.
My next question is how is it applied and
will it shrink?

big max 1935 05-26-2004 09:42 PM

You must be building a smaller version of the Miss America ,the original had a 80 inch wing span & the front part was covered with a light plywood or veiner it was done for added strength in the front area. Yours being small (I think?) just uses The Kromkote cardboard , it is not a covering material more for reinforcing. MAX H.

kdheath 05-27-2004 02:48 PM

No, it won't shrink like iron on coverings. It is a lot like file card stock, but they coat one side with a clay-based, shiny white coating. You just cut it out using a pattern and glue it on with Tite-Bond or Elmer's glue. Don't use CA-it'll run all over and stain the cardboard. It almost leaves clear spots. Just use the smallest amount of aliphitic glue. You can hold it down while it dries with tape. The blue 3M painters tape is great. Peel it off carefully and the coating will be OK. Did I say it goes white side out? Then cover over it like it was balsa. Light and very nice on small models.
Kelvin

ORIGINAL: b35853

kdHeath,

Thanks for the info, I've looked
all over the internet for kromekote.
I just didn't look in the right place.
My next question is how is it applied and
will it shrink?