RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   BALSA USA SWIZZLE STIK 60 SIZE (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/2470784-balsa-usa-swizzle-stik-60-size.html)

dls 12-26-2004 07:20 PM

BALSA USA SWIZZLE STIK 60 SIZE

Anyone have experience with the Balsa Usa 60 size Swizzle Stik? I just got one, 8ft wing with ailerons & just as ugly as the newer 40 sizes, hope it flies as well also. Never saw one except in ads from the early 80`s

J3FAN 12-27-2004 12:07 AM

RE: BALSA USA SWIZZLE STIK 60 SIZE

GOOD GRIEF MAN YOU BRING BACK MEMORIES !
YES I actually built the GIANT SWIZZLE STIK
I had just moved from Dallas down to Houston in the late 70's and that was my first Houston project.
It was going to be my GLIDER TOW PLANE, that is what I built it for.
Once the whole structure was finished, it got sanded down really clean and stained with furniture stain in a medium brown hue.
The flying surfaces were then covered with transparent colorless MONOKOTE.
The whole "structure" in the air, was very visible and easy to follow.
Yes, it had around 8 feet of wing span.
I used an old and faithful SUPER TIGRE .60 "BLUE HEAD" engine.
I used two 5 inch Spoked wheels and as a tail dragger it had a Cub type tail wheel.
It was a MAGNIFICENT FLYER, steady, solid, just THE BEST, and just right for towing (which actually never happened) because the Stik had the strangest, oddest finale I have ever witnessed.
I used to catch strong rising air from the I-45 Fwy which was then just a four lane blacktopped run which in the 90+ heat of the day generated ENORMOUS columns of rising air. On this last day I had been sailing over the freeway and rising/returning for more/ etc.....and lost track of the time I was airborne. when I came to and decided to land, [ maybe around an hour of flight, but I don't recall exactly"] came down and at about 20' high on final approach the battery must have gone because the Stik just went sideways and hit the earth HARD. The strange thing was that the plane was reduced to SMALL PIECES, SPLINTERS, all over !!! ... I have never witnessed such a complete destruction of a model before.....small small pieces.....THE SUPER TIGRE STILL exists and is still flying good and strong.

YES....friend...........as Bob Hope used to sing : THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES !

ps.............I would build that plane again if I could GET/FIND the kit again.

J3FAN 12-27-2004 12:54 AM

P.S.

I THOUGHT ABOUT IT SOME MORE :

IF YOU HAVE THE KIT......IF THERE IS DOUBT ABOUT BUILDING IT

I OFFER TO BUY IT BACK FROM YOU

even if you don't want to get rid of it could you say where/how you found the kit ?

RICK

dls 12-27-2004 10:06 AM

I`ve been looking for one since 87 when I saw an ad in an old RCM. Every swap meet, RC Forum & Ebay, finally found one on Ebay. Plan on building & flying it this spring. Thanks for the good but sad story

J3FAN 12-27-2004 11:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
OK THEN , dls, fair enough
But J.I.C. you should change your mind
and decide not to build it
consider letting me have DIBS on it
save this E-address
[email protected]

thanks, RICK
ps
here is a pic.of the plane that was DESIGNED FROM SCRATCH to follow along the lines of the original Swizzle Stick....the wing is also +- 8 feet and it was based on the stik's parameters. This plane is still here with me and in the process of re-furbishing. It goes back to 1982 and needs the motor cleaned, the servos changed, etc.
shades of Swizzle !

The PIPE 12-27-2004 08:41 PM

A REAL, "honest to goodness" SENIOR SWIZZLER???

Dear DLS:

The PIPE Here yet AGAIN...and from THESE photos...

http://www.biplanes.de/images/daves_.../swiz_1_sm.jpg

http://www.biplanes.de/images/daves_photos/swiz_3.jpg

...you can see I've had a "40 sized" SWIZZLER of my own...for a VERY LONG time now...and THIS one in the photos is about TWENTY years old !!!

If there is SOME way I could get a COPY of the PLANS for your 60 sized Swizzle Stick, I'd LOVE to get a copy from you...if that's not possible, I suppose I COULD try Balsa USA themselves, but I AM hoping you could send me a copy of the plans...just send an Email, or "PM" (or personal message) to me, to let me know IF that's at all possible!

Hope to hear from you soon...

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE! ;)

J3FAN 12-28-2004 01:32 PM

PIPE Q
unfortunately this is not DLS but J3FAN

very impressive the original SS..... I just don't remember the tail surfaces having that straight up cant. Is this what YOU designed or did it come from BUSA ?

Unfortunately I can tell you to not bother with BUSA . When I tried to buy the BIGSTIK, they made it clear there was nothing left, only the memories. No plans, no nothing.

HOWEVER ! .... should you have luck with them and get some response, i.e. ( plans - kit - whatever )

would you be kind enough to pass it back ?

Thanks

RICK

J-3 12-31-2004 07:15 PM

I had one of the Swizzle Stiks back in the early 80's. What is the difference in the Swizzle Stik and the Stick 40 BUSA is selling now?
Thanks...Brian

50+AirYears 01-09-2005 09:10 PM

Wasn't the Swizzle Stick developed from an article that ran in RCM where it was designed as a way to use left over wings? I built a 15 sized Quick stick using the plans, and it lasted far longer than the total of the two Duraplanes that I later had.

Frank Schwartz 01-09-2005 11:18 PM

Holy smokes!! I've been in this R/C game for many, many years and I must have missed something. I've built a number of the 40 sized swizzle sticks and even scratch built them from plans...but a 60 size? How did I miss that?? Anyhow, if there is some good soul who will make copies of the plans for us scratch builders, I, for one, will be happy to pay for a copy and S&H.

dls 01-10-2005 02:24 AM

Seems many are interested in a set of plans for this plane. I`ll need to check Kinko`s about the cost. The kit shows it`s age and has some obvious weakness in the aileron hook ups and wing center section. There`s even a cryptic note from Balsa USA on the plan that you must use wing struts even though there are none shown on the plan or mentioned in the instructions. The spar material is redwood with short 1/8 ply center section doublers and the ailerons are operated by dowels and linkage. The fuselage sticks are built of 1/4 balsa sticks and 1/16 plywood. The tail is solid 1/4 balsa with the classic Stik fin shape instead of the Cessna sweep fin used on current Stick 40`s. I plan on some changes to bring it up to date, it looks like it will be a good flying plane. I`ll post on the cost for plans and a copy of the instructions when I get the information. J3FAN, that is a beautiful plane and THE PIPE, that looks like a Stick on steroids

dennis 01-10-2005 07:06 AM

I had 2 of them. The first one had a saito 60 FI60 Ignition motor, how many of you have ever seen or heard one run.
The 2nd had an Enya 60 converted to ignition with a very early CHS system. Both had flaps and were an absolute blast to fly. I also have plans for it somewhere in my stash.
Oh and you really do not need a kit for this plane. It's so simple that you can scratch build one almost as easily as building a kit.
Dennis

Frank Schwartz 01-25-2005 06:34 PM

Has anyone located the plans for the plane? I know it could able scratch built if the fellow who said he was going to check on the cost of the plans would come through. I emailed him, but received no reply at all. I have plenty of old 60's lying on the shelf and this would be a good vehicle to put one of them in. Swizzle lovers, let's not let this thing die....if ANYONE has the plans will he please email or post a note.... I fear the fellow who was going to get copies is not going to do it. BUT, if he reads this, please, help the rest of us with copies........

dennis 01-25-2005 09:00 PM

I found my set and they are in good condition.
As for copies I live in a rural area and there is no Kinkos or any other method of getting copies of these plans made. I'm also a little leery about lending stuff out because of the abismally poor record of anything ever comming back to me. Seems that once someone gets what they need they forget their supposed to return what they borrowed.
So if someone can assure me in a really positive way that they are legitimatelly going to have copies made, AND WILL RETURN SAID ITEM WHEN FINISHED. Then I'd make it available to be copied.
I never bought the kit which went for #39.95 at the time but bought the plans and scratch built 2 of them. I believe that Balsa USA only made one run of the kits as they wern't available too long.
I can be reached at [email protected]
Dennis

dls 01-25-2005 11:53 PM

R.E. Swizzle Stick plans; It`s just been a matter of no time, been working at every thing but my hobbies lately. I hope to get over to Kinko`s this Sat. will post what I find out.

CliffordH 01-26-2005 07:41 AM

HI! If someone gets to making copies of these plans I would like to get in on them if I can. Also there is a blueprint place in town where I get copies made so if I can help I will e glad to get copies. I got copies of a robinhood 80 plans the other day, had one same size copy and one 1/2 size copy made and it was $17. I don't know how that compares with other places like Kinko's.

To tell the truth I never saw an ad or anything for the big stik either. In the 80s I had access to a copier at work that enlarged so I enlarged the rib and scratched a stik with 8 foot wings. The fuselage sticks where redwood I cut on the table saw and the sides where door skin, it had a super tger 90 on it and flew great. It flew well enough that a friend in Daytona finished his training on it after he crashed his trainer. Will have to see if I can find a photo of that tonight.

I can't get Pipe's photos to come up so don't know what is going on there.

Dennis, if I can copy your plans I WILL get them back to you in the condition I received them along with a copy. Just let me know.

Thanks!
Cliff

J3FAN 01-26-2005 12:19 PM

I HAVE JUST SENT AN OFFER TO DENNIS IN PA.--

IF he sends me the plans for the BIG SWIZZLE STIK, to be copied
I intend to start this project :
""
I will investigate the price to make a copy of the plan
I will investigate the price of a mailing tube
I will investigate the cost for mailing the tube through the USPS
it may be OK to just fold the plan into an envelope and SAVE some postage ! (your opinion?)
Those THREE costs added up will be the COST OF A SET OF PLANS FOR THE BIG SWIZZLE STIK
""
IF THERE IS INTEREST IN OBTAINING A COPY-
ONCE I ADVISE AVAILABILITY AND COST
I WILL MAIL IT OUT TO YOUR ADDRESS
Dennis in Pa. will have his plan back.
{ Now .........
Standby to see IF Dennis in Pa. will trust me to do this.}

CliffordH 01-26-2005 12:27 PM

J3Fan,

That sounds like a plan so please put me down for a set shipped in a mail tube. I also think you should add a little extra on each cost so ther is enough to send Dennis an extra set of plans back when you return his. That way he is getting something useful out of the deal.

I will be watching this for details.
Thanks!
Cliff

BTW: Is the J3Fan a fan of the J3 cub? If so have you ever seen a J3-P?

J3FAN 01-26-2005 07:22 PM

A N N O U N C E M E N T ...... !

Dennis has accepted FRANK SCHWARTZ's offer to do the EXTRA COPIES

he will be the person to contact IF YOU WANT A PLAN FOR THE BIG SWIZZLE STIK

and of course, there will be some CHARGES involved.

ALL THE BEST

next : we should start the GIANT SWIZZLE STIK thread !!!!!

RICK...................WHOSE will be the FIRST to FLY ?

dennis 01-27-2005 08:17 AM

ORIGINAL: J3FAN

A N N O U N C E M E N T ...... !

Dennis has accepted FRANK SCHWARTZ's offer to do the EXTRA COPIES

he will be the person to contact IF YOU WANT A PLAN FOR THE BIG SWIZZLE STIK

and of course, there will be some CHARGES involved.

ALL THE BEST

next : we should start the GIANT SWIZZLE STIK thread !!!!!

RICK...................WHOSE will be the FIRST to FLY ?

Just to confirm that I did indeed send my plans to Frank to have a master and copies made. He'll let everyone know when he has them ready to go.
Now does anyone remember the Balsa USA Tempo . A really nice parasol type plane, Much nicer and lighter then the Great Pain model called the Nice and Easy. Even better it uses the Swizzle stick wing. The origional kit was for 3 channel but I used the 4 channel wing plan for mine. I have those plans also but they have been used and have some fraying on the edge, but they are still able to be copied.
One of these days I'm going to catagorize my stuff there are over 100 plans to check. Some I haven't looked at for over 25 years.

Frank Schwartz 01-29-2005 01:11 PM

Stick lovers! I have received the plans for the SS 60 from Dennis and am going to get copies made the first of the week (Today is Saturday). The wing is constructed much as is the ORIGINAL Sr. Telemaster, that is, with barn door ailerons..no strip aileron kinda thing. The plane also has that gawd awful egg shaped rudder and fin (some folks like it that way). No dihedral figures are shown so if anyone knows what it should be, let me know.
I also need anyone who wants copies of these plans to kindly email me off this post directly at [email protected]. Your cost is whatever it costs me to get them printed , buy a mailing tube and postage...most likely less than fifteen dollars. I am NOT in the hobby business and do this for fun, not profit.
Also I saw in faded hand written script, barely discernable, on the plans, a notation that struts are required with the wing....hmmm. The ORIGINAL Sr. Telemaster has a very, very similar wing and needs no struts. It is NOT constructed as the new Joe Bridi re-designed Sr. Tele kit is. Joe's version..the one they sell now, is/was prone to have the wing fold at the wrong time. The original wing has 3/32 sheeting on the front and rear portions of the wing and hefty plywood dihedral braces..and the wing never folds, no needs struts. I am very familiar with the Sr. T. as I worked at Hobby Lobby during the Telemaster heydays...but that is another story.
If anyone wants copies of these Swizzle Stick 60 plans, contact me as stated earlier in this post. If anyone has any specifications or addenda or copies of an instruction book to go with it, please contact me.
Finally, I plan to use a Veco 61 and old Heathkit radio in my SS 60...just for fun.
In closing, I note that the SS 60's shown in photos earlier in this thread, show a built up standard type of rudder and strip ailerons...not so on the plans.....
And such is life...
Regards to all,
Frank Schwartz
P.S. If anyone is interested in the Telemaster line and the history of them, contact me off line and I will fill you in with the whole story......

J3FAN 01-29-2005 04:17 PM

Thanks Frank, on behalf of all of us.
As I recall, the wing is quite sufficient to NOT require struts, but should somebody want to add them on it should not be hard to do.
Based on my memory of the plane, and STILL with the original intent in mind, I plan to use this plane for GLIDER TOWING.....2 meter gliders should do well, even maybe 3 meters should work well. The OS .91 fourstroke should handle the pull with ease.
To improve even further I did (and will now again) cut FLAPS in the inboard side of those barndoor ailerons....with FLAPS this Stik becomes a SUPREME FLYER....!
"been there AND done that "
RICK

dls 01-29-2005 10:19 PM

I got 2 copies of the plans made today, $6.50 each at Kinko`s, 1 is already promised out. If Frank will send me an address I will send him an origional set of instructions and tracings of the ribs, fuselage parts, wing tips, gear wires etc ,and any other parts that can be used to help get your Sticks built so he can include them with the plans he sends out. The wing is nowhere near as strong as a Senior Telemaster wing as the dihedral braces are only 2 pieces of 1/8 lite ply, about 1 3/8T x 8L with no mention of glassing the centersection. The only Senior Telemaster I`ve built had a 1/4 thick aircraft ply brace about a foot long and was very strong.

Frank Schwartz 01-30-2005 01:34 AM

Yes, by all means, please do send me a copy of the instructions and any tracings. I would like to include them with the copies of the SS 60 plans when I send them.
It is:
Frank Schwartz
102 Crestview Drive
Hendersonville, TN 37075

and thanks in advance,
Frank

J3FAN 01-30-2005 10:44 AM

GENTLEMEN, I am SO EXCITED !
with the plans and the cooperation between Frank and DLS putting together plans + instructions + details we should be getting the very best possible situation towards RESUSCITATING the Big Stik
Maybe this will catch the eye of B.USA and the kits will come out again.
I especially look forward to the schematic of the wires for the landing gear, although there are now FG gear available at the LHS that would fit even better without the welding/soldering work.
we will now have the thread
SWIZZLE STIK - "the resurrection story"
When mine is finished it will have the OS .91 FS, flaps and conventional landing gear, (tail-tragger) with tail wheel ala J-3 Cub, with spoked wheels and YES I will keep the STIK round vertical stab......color yellow/dark blue like the PT-19 AirForce traditional with 1 extra servo on the Glider Towing mechanism.
RICK