RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   Need some info on a few old kits, please (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/2708162-need-some-info-few-old-kits-please.html)

1g1yy2 02-27-2005 09:29 PM

Need some info on a few old kits, please

Hi,
I am considering purchasing a few old kits and can't seem to find much information on them. I hope some of you can help. I need the wingspans and any other specs you may have, as well as the kit/plans quality and ease of construction, and how well the planes fly. I will be buying these kits blind so any info would be of great help. Thanks.

1. Ace: Bingo $75; Bingo 40 $66
2. Aerocraft Models: Recruit 64 $36
3. American Aero Supply: Thunderbird 60 Pattern $80; Mega Dart 60 $67; Sport Dart 20--40 $38
4. Altech: Sage 40 ARC $77
5. Bridi: Loadstar 40 $50; Warlord 20 $33; Sun Fli 4 $55
6. Lanier; Dart 40--60 $48; TR-260 $70

s. wallace 02-27-2005 10:08 PM

RE: Need some info on a few old kits, please

The Thunderbird was an Ultimate Kaos clone, would fly well enough.

The Sun Fli 4 is a simple build, gentle flying model, the Sun Fli series was the predecesor to the Kaos series. Have had a couple Sun Fli 4's recently for use in vintage pattern (VRCS). It flies very docile with a modern 46, and is overpowered with a modern 61. Best set up I had for one was with an OS FP60...light & powerful enough. A K&B 61 would also be about right.

Had a Warlord 40, can't speak for the 20 size.

The Ace kits were fair quality at best but flew ok, the Lanier stuff you mention was cheesy when they came out, and terrible by todays standards.

Hope you are getting a killer deal on this lot...I would personally choose a couple nice, modern kits over this lot.
There are many 40 and 60 size kits or arfs that are superior to what's in this batch.

1g1yy2 02-27-2005 10:22 PM

OK, thanks -- that is the kind of info I am looking for. I guess I should have posted the prices so I could get feedback on them. I will edit the post with the prices.

dls 02-28-2005 02:30 PM

The Loadstar 40 is one of Bridi`s unknown gems. Easy building and flys great, alot like a Telemaster 40 without the lifting stab, really great with a 4stroke. Bridi plans are good, the instructions are pretty basic & don`t have details on engine or radio installation, but if you`ve built a few kits you`ll do OK. I second the opinions on the Ace & Lanier kits.

s. wallace 02-28-2005 03:26 PM

What kind of flying do you want to do, & what do have already for engines? With the prices posted I would
buy the Sun Fli & the Loadstar for easy, relaxing flying & pass on the rest . The others, not that the prices are bad...were not so great in their time and you could definately spend that money on some better choices.

I have always felt it's better to have 2 or 3 flyable airplanes that really were top notch perfomers rather than some guys I see with a fleet of 6-10 "dogs".

1g1yy2 03-01-2005 09:15 PM

Yes, I agree with you Scott.

Actually, since I have muscular dystrophy and can't get down to work on and start them anymore, I have only flown electrics for the past few years. Now, however, my son is going to get into glow which means I'll need to build some planes for him -- and me, since I will have him to help get the planes ready,etc.!:D I figured the Recruit 64/Bridi Loadstar would make good trainer type planes for him. Then I could build him the Sun Fli 4 for aerobatic training. He has a couple of 61s that a friend gave him. I figured I could modify/convert the Warlord 20 to use with a Phasor 30/3 that I have. I just feel that at these prices I should buy a few of these kits. I am in the middle of building an E-Sport 10 from plans I ordered, and I have spent over $60 just in balsa and lite ply! I figured just the balsa in them is worth what some of these kits cost!

As for the Laniers, thanks for the heads up! I have also never built an Ace kit, so thanks -- though there is a glow Tiger Kitten I might still buy.:eek: