RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

mango12 05-31-2007 10:05 AM

RE: WACO YMF

Hey guys, I need some help. Without going all the way through what has now become this online book;), can someone tell me the best type of hinges to use on the ailerons, and suggest how to install "invisible " control horns on said control surface? Please remember mine is the 1/4 scale version. Thanks

skylarkmk1 05-31-2007 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Mango,

The full size Wacos use top hinge ailerons (piano hinge) and the control horns on the lower ailerons are ball links. The full size control rod is totally exposed from th bellcrank to the control horn. The upper ailerons are driven by the aileron conecting rod attached near the trailing edge of the ailerons.

ag4ever 05-31-2007 12:20 PM

Bill,

Do you make sure every inch is covered with fabric?

I have a couple spots where it would be impossible to cove the entire wing with one piece. These are the corners of the aileron pockets where I had to slit the fabric to allow it to wrap around the trailing edge of the hinge surface and still extend down to the knife edge portion of the trailing edge. I was thinking about either leaving them without fabric or just doping on a bit of scrap fabric to cover these areas.

Either way, the top wing really is starting to look like something now that it has fabric on it.

I plan to start the bottom wing tonight using some of the knowledge I got from doing the top wing to change how I apply the fabric.

The main difference is I plan to finish the trailing edge of the bottom of the wing with a finished edge then wrap the fabric aroud the front and back to the trailing edge and do the lap joint then. On the top I just tacked it down to the top surface of the trailing edge and then wrapped the wing and tacked it down to the bottom surface which meant I had to do both final trailing edge wraps at the same time which was not fun triming and sticking the fabric down like that.

Robert

Stickbuilder 05-31-2007 02:39 PM

That will work as well. On the aileron pocket, I do cover the pocket first with a seperate piece, and seal to the edge with the main covering. (forgot that part[:@])

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

mrdhud 05-31-2007 04:40 PM

Hello all

I'm making an order for balsa. Question the main wing spars should they be balsa or hard wood. Can't find any thing on plans that say.

Bill

I read your post on using 1/8 sheeting insted of 5/32 Good for me I read all the posts thanks I will use the 1/8

khodges 05-31-2007 04:51 PM

ORIGINAL: Nightstalker

Oh, and you might want to draw up a set of those rubber baby buggy bumpers for a certain former Air Force Lt.

I resemble that remark:D. the only other "fix" I could come up with was to do a "Jimmy Franklin" to it, and mount a jet engine between the wheels.

ag4ever 05-31-2007 04:58 PM

A good 28 pound thrust engine would really get it moving so you don't have any loww air speed lift offs.

Might have to pickup the wings off the tarmac though.

Nightstalker 05-31-2007 05:29 PM

ORIGINAL: ag4ever

He's been there...done that:D

Todd
WACO Brotherhood #47

skylarkmk1 05-31-2007 06:59 PM

Dan,

According to the Long Manual parts listing, the spars are Balsa.

Live Wire 05-31-2007 07:49 PM

I think I would use fur or spruce.

khodges 05-31-2007 08:32 PM

Todd
WACO Brotherhood #47

Yeah, but I'm still gettin' the T-shirt:)

tomcraig 05-31-2007 08:38 PM

Two bundles of 5/32 on the way - Oh what have I done to myself

damifino 05-31-2007 09:03 PM

Speaking of tee shirts. We are tentatively scheduled for printing on Tuesday June 5th. Looks like I'll be getting almost 80 shirts printed. That in itself speaks highly of the people who make up the Brotherhood. 98% of those who requested shirts sent in their payments.

KHODGES- I really hope I can get those shirts to you all to take to the WACO Fly-in. I'll send them to your hotel if you want me to. PM me with your schedule and hotel info so we can make it happen if it comes to that.

Looking forward to making some real progress on the WACO in the coming weeks. I have another kit project to throw into the mix later on. A Balsa USA Der Jager 1/3 scale kit is soon to be mine. I've been wanting one for at least two years and they are very, very difficult to find. A fellow in NY dug up an old, old RCU post of mine in which I asked if any NIB kits were out there. We made a deal and I should have it by the end of June. Makes a good lookin' bipe with 80" top wing.

STICKBUILDER- Did not recieve an e-mail from you. If you sent it from your work it may have been blocked.

Nightstalker 05-31-2007 09:16 PM

ORIGINAL: khodges

Todd
WACO Brotherhood #47

Yeah, but I'm still gettin' the T-shirt:)

2 T-shirts, Sir... 2 BRAND NEW WACO T-shirts... to match your wing tips:D

Todd
WACO Brotherhood #47

damifino 05-31-2007 09:44 PM

I think I would use fur or spruce.
:DSorry, I can't help myself- What kind of fur would you suggest......maybe....some BEAVER! Damn off topic posts........:D

mrdhud 05-31-2007 10:32 PM

skylark

John

balsa is ok by me is that what you would use?? ( kind of like that beaver :D)

skylarkmk1 05-31-2007 11:03 PM

Dan,

I was just stating what the original Pica Manual (long version) for the 1/5th WACO indicates in their parts identification list, all the spars are 5/16 x 5/16 Balsa. I' will be building the 1/6th size WACO. If I can find good Balsa, I'll use that, otherwise I'll use spruce or quarter sawn fir or white pine.

Stickbuilder - Did you replace your spars? If so, what did you use.

I will be sending the Revised Long Manual to Chris in about a week to be converted to PDF and posted on the House of Moy website.

flyguy888 06-01-2007 05:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Warning to scale Waco builders: don’t look at this mod, it will only make you cry, and any whining from you will not change my evil ways.
Anyway, my flying leaves a lot to be desired. I was flying my hog the other day (8lbs) and did one of my occasional bouncy landings that slightly bent one of my piano wire gear legs. That incident made me take a closer look at the gear on my Pica Waco. The gear was just hanging out there with little support, and it had plenty of spring and flex in it. I was worried what this wiggly gear would do when this 15 lb bipe took a darn good bounce in the grass (Sure, I could just improve my flying, but I try to fix what is possible).
Here are some pics of the (non-scale) cabling on my gear by just using the existing pica gear design. I drilled two small holes in the steel wheel pant plate and just looped a cable through that and around the upper gear leg by the fuselage and crimped the cable in the middle. I was surprised how rigid it is, you can’t move it a bit. Of course, with such rigid gear, now it will bounce even higher, but at least I do not have to worry about the gear flexing and splitting the support blocks inside the fuselage. I might redo it and allow some slack in the cables, I’ll see how this works

flyguy888 06-01-2007 05:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
two more pics

Stickbuilder 06-01-2007 07:15 AM

I have used the supplied stock in the kits, and have also replaced them with Spruce (from the hobby shop). The spruce or Fir is the way to go. You build strength, and don't build much weight. Hard balsa is hard for me to find. If I could get that, I'd use it.

Bill, AMa 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

mrdhud 06-01-2007 07:33 AM

stickbuilder

Thanks Bill,

Would you use spruce on the 5/16x5/8 only or on the 5/16x5/16 also. I have checked with all balsa supplyers and cant find any 5/8 stock I gess I'll go with 3/4 and sand to 5/8.

Stickbuilder 06-01-2007 08:36 AM

Dan,

I would use the spruce on both...The most important thing is to do the modifications on the wing joiners. If you make the spars from spruce and join them with the little bitty joiners, they will still fail.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

mrdhud 06-01-2007 10:42 AM

stickbuilder

Thanks Bill

With that information I can order the wood for the wings. I did see the up date on re cutting the spar braces with 1/8 ply. If I would have done my school home work and studied like I have with the WACO I mitt have been???????? LOL !!!
Thanks again for all the help.

ag4ever 06-01-2007 07:56 PM

ORIGINAL: damifino

Speaking of tee shirts. We are tentatively scheduled for printing on Tuesday May 5th. Looks like I'll be getting almost 80 shirts printed. That in itself speaks highly of the people who make up the Brotherhood. 98% of those who requested shirts sent in their payments.

KHODGES- I really hope I can get those shirts to you all to take to the WACO Fly-in. I'll send them to your hotel if you want me to. PM me with your schedule and hotel info so we can make it happen if it comes to that.

Looking forward to making some real progress on the WACO in the coming weeks. I have another kit project to throw into the mix later on. A Balsa USA Der Jager 1/3 scale kit is soon to be mine. I've been wanting one for at least two years and they are very, very difficult to find. A fellow in NY dug up an old, old RCU post of mine in which I asked if any NIB kits were out there. We made a deal and I should have it by the end of June. Makes a good lookin' bipe with 80" top wing.

STICKBUILDER- Did not recieve an e-mail from you. If you sent it from your work it may have been blocked.
I don't think you will have any problems getting him the shirts in time since you have mastered the art of time travel and plan to have the shirts printed on May 5th. Or was that Tuesday may 5, 2009?

Live Wire 06-01-2007 08:23 PM

ag4ever
He was thinking about the fur for spars ;):D:D