RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

mango12 07-15-2007 03:41 PM

RE: WACO YMF

I had nothing to do with this, I swear !!!

mobyal 07-15-2007 03:57 PM

And your point is?
We've all learned a lot since March of '06 when that post -- #1 in this "thread" -- more like a ball of baling twine -- 16 months and some 3100 posts later....
Just what point are you trying to make, anyway?

nine o nine 07-15-2007 07:05 PM

to TRLamb, Hi Terry...Sorry you left WOD due to a bad deal at the hotel I was told. Would have loved to meet and talk to you. I was flying one of the B-17s in the noon show. Mitch (Nine o Nine) WB #100

damifino 07-15-2007 08:28 PM

Joe Average: Looks like you've got your timeline mixed up there cowboy. Your post is the sort we do not wish to have around here. Keep your average thoughts to yourself so this above average thread continues the way the majority likes it. Got it?

khodges 07-15-2007 10:13 PM

Yee Haa:)

JoeAverage 07-15-2007 10:37 PM

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

I flew my Waco last night :D

I am thrilled to let you all know I had the best ever maiden flight last night. The sound of the 170 3 cylinder is amazing. I had to dial in 2 clicks of left aileron, and a fair bit of elevator up trim. I am balanced at 5.25 inches from the top wing LE. All up weight with the 3 cylinder, just under 15Lbs. A few times throughout this project I remember saying to myself, "maybe I bit off a bit more than I can chew". My oldest son and I flew in a full scale Waco a number of years ago and ever since that I wanted to build one. For my first scratch/scale build, I am quite proud. Thanks for putting up with me, and thanks for all the help and tips etc. I plan on building another fuselage on floats, so I'll still be popping by and sharing. Long live the brotherhood!

I found this picture saved as day one :) and I have included a picture of me, yes Bill its me this time!

Thanx guys!

Now I can finish the cockpit, strut mounts, pin striping etc, I'm hooked
7 days to learn how to fly it! BC Scale Masters Qualifier [X(]

Amazing model Hughes, if anyone is competeing as you should, you may benefit from this unless you are already aware of it. I copied the following from his site and the info is all his, but I try to abide by it.
Regards, John

Dave Platt states:

The following laws have been compiled from observations made over a lifetime of building competition scale models. It will be noticed that, like "Murphy's Law", while formulated for amusement, they are nevertheless true.

Dave Platt

All of the best information on a subject arrives the day the model is completed, and proves conclusively that what you have done is wrong.

You never finish a scale model. You just stop working on it.

Those subjects requiring the greatest number of working channels have the least room for radio gear.

How right it looks matters more than how right it is.

Competitive scale modeling is about replication, not authentication.

Given a choice, judges will believe wrong information over right.

Live by the principle of scarfology. Things disappear from the marketplace, so scarf them up while the scarfing is good.

Experience has demonstrated that the worst 3-views of any subject are the ones that came form the factory. The best were done by some careful modeler who wanted an accurate model and made his 3-view a labor of love.

Never, ever, use color photos in documentation.

The weak link in the RC Scale reliability chain is still - the engine.

A fair model with a good docs-book will outscore an excellent model with a poor docs-book.

Scale RC is a very relaxing hobby – if you can stand the pace.

Big models fly; small models flit.

First, it’s got to fly.

No amount of flying will improve your static score.

It’s a mistake to take a scale model out to fly while you still like it.

Whenever a manufacturer improves his product, the old one is much better than the new one.

JoeAverage 07-15-2007 11:00 PM

ORIGINAL: damifino

Joe Average: Looks like you've got your timeline mixed up there cowboy. Your post is the the sort we do not wish to have around here. Keep your average thoughts to yourself so this above average thread continues the way the majority likes it. Got it?

I am sorry. I'll try to tow the line better. I'm new here. No need to get all "Broke Back."

damifino 07-15-2007 11:09 PM

I imagine no one here has seen 'Broke Back Mountain'. We have been around long enough to have some degree of decorum though. The subject you touched on has been re-hashed more times than is necessary. You are welcome to tag along and enjoy the journey.

skylarkmk1 07-15-2007 11:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Jay,

Here are the stiffener photos I was able to get;

P-1 – End view with ruler in 64ths, vertical.
P-2 – End view with ruler in 64ths, horizontal. Stiffeners are just under 2” apart (1” mark is under the right stiffener).
P-3 – End view with caliper, vertical.
P-4 – End view with caliper, horizontal.
P-5 – Top view of crimp end, showing slit to allow forming. Aileron connecting strut base attach point on right.
P-6 – Underside of aileron showing a dent that indicates the approximate location of wood filler (red line) to support aileron strut base mounts (lower right). This filler strip is along the straight area of the trailing edge to allow the ailerons to be interchangeable. Note that the mount is between the 2nd and 3rd stiffener (aileron is from an YKS-7). Also the rivet pattern for the internal diagonal stiffeners (top and bottom).
P-7 – Location of strut mount on UPF-7, NC 173E, between stiffeners 9 & 10 and inline with the interplane (“N”) struts.
P-8 – Top view showing the location of the first stiffener is about 1-1/2” in from the end (tip is similar) and location of the aileron strut base on the YKS-7.

Overall length of aileron is 67-1/4”. Bottom tip taper starts approximately 27” from the tip of the aileron.

Caliper measurements are approximate (hand held).

Hope this helps everybody.

damifino 07-15-2007 11:19 PM

Way beyond the call of duty SKYLARK, THANKS on behalf of the Brotherhood.

Nightstalker 07-15-2007 11:26 PM

Hey guys - Just got back from vacation in Michigan - they can have all that cool damp weather - nothing like a dry Arizona heat[:@]

Hughes - You "da Man"! EXCELLENT job for an 'ol motor sickle rider:D... You had me fooled for all these months. Every post of your's I read, I was picturing you in bib overalls - smellin' like road grime - and getting glue in your grey whiskers - cussing every failed attempt to post a progress pic... youngsters... I swear!!! Well, I don't feel so bad now being a young'n myself. Again great job!!!

And John (JoeAverage) the post before this one was pretty good - as well as a lot of your 1/2A forum posts I've read over the last month or so - but the kit profit jab on Stickbuilder was not in the best interest of this thread, IMHDO (in my own humble doggie opinion)[>:]. Keep it above average (to quote Jay damifino) if you can - you seem as if you're capable of that when you do.

Hey - I drink a lot too:)

Cheers!!!
Nightstalker

WACO Brotherhood #47

JoeAverage 07-16-2007 12:03 AM

While the propabability of that given event occuring is inversely proportional to it's desirability, I will see what I can do.

Regards, John

edit: Nightstalker, you are, and others, good natured so I reply in kind and try to contribute constructively.

This is a retorical question and meant to invoke thought and not to provoke a reply, but when the kitting of the model and by who issue surfaces it gets shut down by a closing of ranks rather than a basis in fact? It seems to repeat itself. The responses to my unpopular query bring this to my attention. I'm not the first.

That's the last you'll here from "me" on the topic.

Skinny Bob 07-16-2007 06:47 AM

Thanks John

Stickbuilder 07-16-2007 07:54 AM

Joe Average,

The post that you referred to was the very first post on this thread. At the time, I thought that it might be nice to offer this model as a kit once more, since Cox does not wish to offer the model as a Kit...(only as an ARF). With what has transpired (The AMA has the plans, and they now have the parts templates which they offer with the plans), there is no need to offer this model as a kit, and the Brotherhood, as a group has decided not to offer a kit, since you can kit your own, and the model is once more a viable builder's kit.

I hope that this clears up the mystery for you, and that you will join us if you so desire.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Stickbuilder 07-16-2007 09:54 AM

I'm sure glad that John is our historian, I personally don't know what I'd do without his endless supply (hopefully) of information. Great job again. Jay, how soon will you have the skins done? I'd like to buy a set from you.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

khodges 07-16-2007 02:30 PM

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Caliper measurements are approximate (hand held).

Gee, John, I was hoping you could be a little more precise. I mean, really, using a caliper that's only calibrated to 0.001? let's see, in 1/5 scale that would be..............0.00020, not nearly close enough:):):)

YOU DA MAN ! This will come in handy on the UPF, if it ever gets here.

trlambsr 07-16-2007 05:00 PM

I was still there and saw The B 17's fly. That flight was really cool. Hope you were not the one that had the wheels up landing. David Fepelstein lost his P47 just after you guys flew. I believe that most of the reason for his loss was caused because both of us had no !!!! I really mean no sleep because of a hord of Students running the walk ways all night long at the quality Inn. He looked away then back and flew the wrong plane. So his went into the ground. Nothing left. We were going to stay until he went in.
Thats why I did not fly.
TR
WACO BrotherHood # 69

damifino 07-16-2007 06:28 PM

STICKBUILDER- Re: Skins. With vacation and other summer things going on I'd be afraid to say at this point. I'd like to think there will be some usable pieces by mid-August.

Hughes500E 07-17-2007 02:49 AM

There's not enough hours in the day guys :) I sure appreciate all the kind words, adds to the motivation, thanks.
I have logged 6 flights on my Waco. Turns out I'm not only a rookie at building scale, I'm a rookie at flying scale as well [:-]
Most important thing for me to remember, it's a hobby, it's suppose to be fun [8D]

The Saito 170 3 cylinder gets everyones attention, it truly matches this scale of craft. I'm running a 16-8 prop at about 1/3 throttle to 1/2 on 15% fuel with a 16 ounce tank and I can run for 19 minutes before I get tired [X(] I have yet to run it out of fuel, I don't want it to go lean! I would add a degree or two of right thrust if my cowl was off. Trimmed in flight, rudder is offset quite a bit.

We're feeling temperatures in 98 to 102-3 degrees right now, no troubles other than the Reynolds numbers being low. I have noticed some bumpy flights, the turbulence and winds affect the Waco. One of the key areas, rudder first then aileron to keep the wing in check followed by elevator to keep altitude. Wing overs, figures eights, lazy eights, chandelle's, barrel rolls, descending circles etc look really nice. It is a definite scale flying craft.

Take offs are really nice and it lands like a big trainer. Actually it lands like a butterfly with wounded feet, very very nice. I'm hoping if I loosen my overalls ;), I'll actually be confident enough for my first scale competition, in 3 days [X(]

My camera just won't take a good picture with this orange color, I have tried several times. I also buggered up my landing gear a bit when I first bent it. I had no template to use or experience so it sits rather low. I plan on changing it after I get over this event. Maybe my camera will work better then ;):)

Loving it!
Steve

jagnweiner 07-17-2007 08:27 AM

Gentlemen-

I humbly request permission to join the Brotherhood. I am currently in the process of resurrecting a 1/6 scale WACO that appears to have been built from plans in either the late '70s or early 80s. It was a freebie. A friend was helping a friend clean out a storage unit. It was the friend's friend's dad's plane and he was just going to throw it away.

It came with a frozen up K&B .60, but I am repowering with a Saito .91. I assume that will be sufficient? It had a pretty nice paint job over silk or Koverall, but there were quite a few broken stringers and a few other broken pieces, so I am recovering with Coverite iron on fabric. I am also converting to dual aileron servos and installing new cowl and wheel pants. I will try to post before and after shots once it is done. It will be "sport scale" at best.

-Scott

Stickbuilder 07-17-2007 09:10 AM

Scott,

Humbly???? No one in the Brotherhood ever does anything, "Humbly." :D:D:D If you will look back at page 150, you will see that you are Brother #61. Welcome to the brotherhood, and we wish you well with your 1/6th scale bird. It must be nice to have friends who give you neat stuff. We all want to see pics of the plane both before and after, so burn some pixels.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

jagnweiner 07-17-2007 09:43 AM

WOW! I don't even remember making the request the first time around! Senility is setting in at age 38. Thanks for the welcome.

I'll try to post some of the before pics when I am home from work tonight.

It is nice to get the occasional gift out of the blue. When my friend called me to ask me if I wanted the plane, he just said "It's red white and blue," no other description. I figured it was probably someone's old trainer, but I would never turn down a free plane. You can image my delight when I saw what I was getting.

skylarkmk1 07-17-2007 10:04 AM

Scott,

Welcome aboard. You will also find a copy of the original plans, less templates, for the 1/6th version in PDF format on our auxillary site - House of Moy http://www.houseofmoy.com/waco/ along with lots of other information. Looking at the 1/6th plans it would appear that your friends dad built the Waco according to the plan with the .60 engine.

Remove the glow plug, drop the engine in some alcohol or fuel and let it sit for a bit to let the varnish desolve. Maybe it will loosen up enough to take apart, clean, inspect, replace any bearings/other parts, re-assemble and run for another engine for your fleet. Or you could try the Crockpot with Anti freeze method to loosen it up.

jagnweiner 07-17-2007 10:52 AM

John-

I already found the auxiliary site. You guys are great! I probably will be reviving the K&B at some point, but not for this plane. I have the Saito sitting around from a deceased Cub and figured this would be a good fit. Given that I took at least a half a pound of lead out of the nose, I don't think a little added weight will hurt.

Stickbuilder 07-17-2007 12:03 PM

You did not make the request the first time around. I only bring the roster forward every 10 pages. If I brought it forward every time someone joined the brotherhood, we would now be on page 200 or so. The thing takes up almost an entire page. :D I just update it, and then scoot it up on the 10th page.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1