RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

skylarkmk1 12-16-2007 04:45 PM

RE: WACO YMF

1 Attachment(s)
Bill,

You could do the square tube in tube joiner (I would use brass as it is a bit harder) and then camouflage it with a piece of round aluminum tubing that the larger square tube just fits inside epoxied over it.

On hinging the elevators and rudders, I think the Robart Large hinges (without a fixed pin) could work and be made to look scale as well. Slip a square/rectangular shaped washer (thin brass or aluminum strip) over the front part of the hinge and set it only as deep as the sq. washer contacts the trailing edge of the stabilizer. Set the rear part of the hinge so the pivot is centered in the middle of the elevator leading edge tubing. A piece of soft wire wrapped around the front hinge blades and epoxied to holes in the washer will simulate the ā€œUā€ bolts with nuts epoxied in the ends. A common long wire hinge pin would make the elevator removable from the stab. The other alternative is to make the hinges from G-10 or circuit board material.

P1 Elevator hinge on YMF Classic NC 14081
P2 Elevator hinge on UBF-2 NC 2091K (different angle)
P3 Rudder hinge on UBF-2 NC 2091K

RICKSTUBBZ 12-16-2007 07:07 PM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

I'm going to need to use a removable joiner for the elevators. I will need to be able to remove them in halves so that I can do the same thing with the horizontal stab, should it require maintenance. Guess I'll use a piece of brass tubing and drill it and the dowells to accept a couple of bolts. anyone have a better idea? 2 servo's won't get it. I'm out of room[:@].

Bill, WACO Brother #1
Bill,
Another Idea in a different direction.
Many post ago someone showed how they bolted on the tail feathers. (Sorry I don't rememeber who it was). I think they accessed the screws from the bottom of the fuse. Anyway, What if you made the horizontal stab and elevators in on solid peice, opposed to seperating them like a wing. Then use a removeable verticle stab/rudder set up to be able to get to the horizontal parts and remove them. All of the simulated aluminum skin in the "fillet" area would be attached to the verticle stab. Then all you would have to do is hide the access holes in the bottom of the fuse. This would also give good access for some of the controlable horizontal stab incidence peices.
Good luck. Hope to see some pic's on the progress.

RICKSTUBBZ 12-16-2007 07:11 PM

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Bill,

You could do the square tube in tube joiner (I would use brass as it is a bit harder) and then camouflage it with a piece of round aluminum tubing that the larger square tube just fits inside epoxied over it.

On hinging the elevators and rudders, I think the Robart Large hinges (without a fixed pin) could work and be made to look scale as well. Slip a square/rectangular shaped washer (thin brass or aluminum strip) over the front part of the hinge and set it only as deep as the sq. washer contacts the trailing edge of the stabilizer. Set the rear part of the hinge so the pivot is centered in the middle of the elevator leading edge tubing. A piece of soft wire wrapped around the front hinge blades and epoxied to holes in the washer will simulate the ā€œUā€ bolts with nuts epoxied in the ends. A common long wire hinge pin would make the elevator removable from the stab. The other alternative is to make the hinges from G-10 or circuit board material.

P1 Elevator hinge on YMF Classic NC 14081
P2 Elevator hinge on UBF-2 NC 2091K (different angle)
P3 Rudder hinge on UBF-2 NC 2091K

John,
I like this idea of yours, on how to simulate the scale hinges.

aminiet 12-16-2007 07:14 PM

Bill.

What trouble did I get you into?

One more idea on that square joiner. Thread both top and bottom surfaces and use a srew to adjust the angle on the vertical stab. from the ground through a hole at the bottom of the fuse, or install a bell crank at the bottom and drive it with a servo via a link rod.

Yes that was the island I was referring to. I used to live there.

Angel
B 58

Stickbuilder 12-16-2007 09:03 PM

The adjustable Horizontal stab is, and has been in place since early in the framing sequence. The horizontal stab uses a couple of joiner tubes that are bolted to one side of the stab, and permenantly fixed to the other side. It uses a bell crank and servo to adjust the incidence. The elevators must be able to separate in order to service the stab, should it become necessary. The fillet will attach to the vertical stab and the fuselage. The horizontal stab only contacts the fuselage via the joiner tubes, which act as a pivot in the rear, and the adjustment beam in the front. It's pretty complicated, and yet simple at the same time.

Bill, WACO Brother #1

Stickbuilder 12-17-2007 05:48 PM

I have decided to go with the Brass round tubing, and through-bolt the joiners through the tube. I'm trying for it not to be so visible.

Bill, WACO Brother #1

Stickbuilder 12-18-2007 05:10 AM

What I want for christmas is one of Santa's elves to stop by and finish this thing for me.:D Bought the ply for the wing Mods yesterday. You would think that 1/8" ply was made from pure Gold.

Bill, WACO Brother #1

red1 12-18-2007 09:09 AM

Skylarkmk1

Good Morning John. Thanks for the suggestions/recommendations and for the various source sites. I ordered, and received, the JTEC 1/6 color instrument panel decal sheet. In going through my PICA kit the other dayI found a number of major items missing...cabane struts, landing gear struts, cowl ring, etc. :(I later found them all in another box :). I recently discovered that one of our local Staples has a large, continuous roll printer for doing oversize material so I was able to get a duplicate set of the plans made [$25]. I have picked up some weights and some devices for ensuring 90 degree angles, etc., so I guess I'm about ready to begin construction.

One question. Would all of the construction/materials modifications called out in the rewritten manual for the 1/5 also apply to the 1/6 [rescaled down of course] ?

Thanks, and Happy Holidays.

red 1
AMA IMAA
WACo Brotherhood #72

skylarkmk1 12-18-2007 09:59 AM

Don,

Scaled down, the mods will apply, especially the wing joiners (I would go with 1/8th ply). The other mods for dual aileron servos, new formers and parts for the firewall, tank and tail wheel former (F-14B) to relocate the tail wheel in a scale location will also apply. If you down load the PDF plans for both sizes from the House of Moy site and compare them, you will find that the construction is identical for most areas. The major difference I have found is the layout (due to size) of the fuselage and wing views between plans, the tail group on a separate page for the 1/5th and the 1/5th has a little more detail drawn in such a grain pattern.

When making the tank area mods, get your tank first before cutting anything, you will need to adjust the new parts to fit your selected tank. Specifically parts F-1, F-4B, F-16 and F-7B as listed in the Fuselage Subassemblies section.

Check your plans that you had made for distortion. Lay a straight edge down along major straight lines (wing spars, leading edge, crutch in the fuselage side view) and check to see if they curve or deviate in any way. I had a set of 1/6th plans made (at another store) from the PDF file and the rudder and tail were slightly distorted (the lines came out segmented). The Mark 1 Eyeball can make the correction to build from.

skylarkmk1 12-18-2007 11:18 AM

Bill and everybody,

Check this site out http://smartflix.com/ . It has DVDs on most anything including the English Wheel, Air Hammer, Working with Tubing, Sewing Welding and more. Don't know anything about the site, just recieved the link info from one of the Cedar Stripper Canoe sites.

Stickbuilder 12-18-2007 07:09 PM

You guys in the frozen North about dug/thawed out yet? I want to know which one of you sent that blast of frigid artic air down here last night. It was 42 this morning. Fought like the dickens to get to 65 today. It's supposed to be back up to 78 tomorrow. It needs to get back to normal. 42? Holy cripes, I thought I was gonna freeze my tukus off this morning. [:'(]

Bill, WACO Brother #1

Jim Henley 12-18-2007 07:22 PM

Bill,
Sounds like you need to spend some time at the helm of a snow-blower. Makes you appreciate those 42 degree days:D

Stickbuilder 12-18-2007 07:25 PM

ORIGINAL: Jim Henley

Bill,
Sounds like you need to spend some time at the helm of a snow-blower. Makes you appreciate those 42 degree days:D
Snow Blower? We arrest folks down here for blowing snow......Oops, wrong kind of snow and blow.....[:@] never mind.....

Bill, WACO Brother #1

Live Wire 12-18-2007 07:53 PM

Bill
Interesting how much a lawn mower and a snow blower are alike;):D:D

Stickbuilder 12-18-2007 08:45 PM

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

Bill
Interesting how much a lawn mower and a snow blower are alike;):D:D
I don't remember ever shivering while running the lawn mower.:D

Bill, WACO Brother #1

lazyace 12-18-2007 09:23 PM

bill
it is going up to 35 to 40 here tomarrow a real heat wave

ctflyboy 12-18-2007 10:27 PM

Hey Bill,
The weatherman said tonight it should be around 9 degrees,and tomorrow (Wed) a possible high of 27 with snow showers in the afternoon,
IT GOING TO BE A WARM ONE [8D] I'M GOING TO PUT ON THE SKI'S AND GO FLYING.

GEORGE
WACO Brother # 5

HarryJ 12-18-2007 11:44 PM

Bill,
Don't feel bad, we had a dose of that frigid artic air hit us last night too. Had to resort to a sweatshirt to fly. That is just not normal here. Global warming my hiney!

Stickbuilder 12-19-2007 05:29 AM

You guys who brave those frigid temps have my respect. If it were 9 degrees down here, the entire state would shut down. There would be absolutely nothing operating. The homes are not built for such low temps. Of course, you guys up North probably wouldn't survive a Hurricaine either, your homes are not built for that (course some of ours ain't either).

I'm with Harry. When Mom Nature drops us a little chill, we put on the sweat shirts and go fly.

Bill, WACO Brother #1

PacificNWSkyPilot 12-19-2007 10:48 AM

I can't believe that I've never found this thread. 198 pages of WACOs, I may have died and gone to Heaven. Well, I guess I'm going to have some terrific reading for the next couple of weeks! I love Bipes, and I can't help but covet any YMF 3 or 5 I've ever seen. I go nuts every time I see a photo of Mike Barbee's Scale model flying.
I really don't want a giant scale though, too much trouble with the transportation and storage (otherwise I'd want a HUGE one..). I think that something in, say, the Saito 100 range (maximum) would be great. So, I have a few questions for you fellows. Since I don't have time to build one all the way up, do you know where I might look for one that's already built? ARC would be just fine. I doubt there is an ARF for this anywhere.... And last but certainly not least, how could I become a member of the WACO Brotherhood? Sounds like the best club I ever hoped to be in!

Jim

SuperCub Man 12-19-2007 11:30 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Yahoo!! Picked up my cowls and pants today - and they are beauties. Well worth the wait and the price. Yes Bill the pants are a little wide to scale, but they fit my soft Dubro wheels perfectly and so shall remain as is. The tail of the pant is nice and pointed so it is right on scale - not like the generic pant from Fiberglass Specialties. The cowl is a perfect fit to the nose as I've built it and will look great with the standoffs to hold it in proper place.
Yes, that is a scale operating landing gear set I'm making. Aluminum main gear with internal spring and brakeline tubing struts. We'll see how it goes!! The sprung tail wheel "a la Ken and Jay's thinking" - worked out perfectly. So now on with the build!!
Off to the bench!!!

Stickbuilder 12-19-2007 01:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Mainer_Jim

I can't believe that I've never found this thread. 198 pages of WACOs, I may have died and gone to Heaven. Well, I guess I'm going to have some terrific reading for the next couple of weeks! I love Bipes, and I can't help but covet any YMF 3 or 5 I've ever seen. I go nuts every time I see a photo of Mike Barbee's Scale model flying.
I really don't want a giant scale though, too much trouble with the transportation and storage (otherwise I'd want a HUGE one..). I think that something in, say, the Saito 100 range (maximum) would be great. So, I have a few questions for you fellows. Since I don't have time to build one all the way up, do you know where I might look for one that's already built? ARC would be just fine. I doubt there is an ARF for this anywhere.... And last but certainly not least, how could I become a member of the WACO Brotherhood? Sounds like the best club I ever hoped to be in!

Jim

NEW BROTHER ALERT

Jim, Welcome to the Brotherhood. You are Brother #86. I hope that you enjoy it. If you think that you can get through it in two weeks, you are a better man than I am. Hope you don't get this one stolen.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Stickbuilder 12-19-2007 02:20 PM

Jim,

Cox offers the YMF (Actually it's a UMF) as an ARF in both the 1/5 and the 1/6 sizes. From all reports, it is pretty nice for an ARF. KHodges has done a redo of one and it turned out really well. Of course, he is a great builder to start with.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Tony V. 12-19-2007 02:39 PM

Jim,

The 1/6 scale is all they have left...There was a review in RC Report....

Stickbuilder 12-19-2007 05:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Tony V.

Jim,

The 1/6 scale is all they have left...There was a review in RC Report....
I feel reasonably sure that there is going to be another production run of the fifth scale version soon. Cox has never been one to leave rocks unturned. There is a dollar there, and they will be after it.

Bill, WACO Brother #1