RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

Stickbuilder 05-29-2009 07:16 AM

RE: WACO YMF

Mitch,

I have others.....http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

Bill, Waco Brother #1

mrdhud 05-29-2009 07:29 AM

<p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">pbunster</font></p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal">

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font></p></p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Welcome aboard Paul that’s a vary good looking <place><city>Waco</city></place> you have. I read a little about your <country-region><place>Chile</place></country-region> and I must say that the scenery is absolute beautiful.</font></p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal">

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font></p></p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal">

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font></p></p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Stickbuilder</font></p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal">

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font></p></p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Bill, I tried to tap off the hub with no luck I whacked it pretty hard with the handle on my hammer (hard rubber handle) didn’t budge a bit</font></p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal">

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font></p></p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Mitch,</font></p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal">

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font></p></p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Your right that’s a great shot of your <city><place>Waco</place></city> <span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span></font></font></p>

Stickbuilder 05-29-2009 09:09 AM

Dan, I'll get it for you when you bring it up.
Bill, Waco Brother #1

nine o nine 05-29-2009 02:51 PM

Bill, How about publishing some or e-mail them to me?Mitch

Stickbuilder 05-30-2009 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: nine o nine

Bill, How about publishing some or e-mail them to me?Mitch
Be careful what you ask, you might just get it. The first one is Janelle and me with Mitches new bird, then next is Janelle with the plane, and then Mitch and Janelle. Finally comes the dead stick, and the ballon. I didn't have the heart to post the last one.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

PacificNWSkyPilot 05-30-2009 11:29 PM

And yet so many of us are riveted with a macabre look on our faces, that dread and the inability to look away.......</p>

No doubt in my mind there is an ouch in that last photo.......</p>

Jim</p>

mrdhud 05-31-2009 06:32 AM

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Bill,</font></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><o:p><font face="Times New Roman" size="3"></font></o:p></p><p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">I&rsquo;ll give you a call when the stud comes in for my engine. I also have a question for you the pictures you posted of Mitch&rsquo;s <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Waco</st1:place></st1:city> won&rsquo;t enlarge when I click on them hope it&rsquo;s not my computer I&rsquo;ve been having problems with it lately.</font></p>

Jim Henley 05-31-2009 06:51 AM

Dan,
It is not your computer, could be the web site, they will not open up for me either. Yesterday everytime I tried to open them my computer
shut down.
Jim

RCplanman 05-31-2009 07:12 AM

Bill, Whate the status of the new "T" shirts?  Did I miss the calling while laid up?</p>

regards,rcplanman</p>

PacificNWSkyPilot 05-31-2009 07:59 AM

They didn't get larger for me either.</p>

Jim</p>

Paul of the North 06-01-2009 08:34 PM

Hello Waco builders,

I've been lurking in the background, reading my way through this thread. I think I'm on about page 140!

Anyway, I'm scratch building a Waco. I've ordered plans and fiberglass parts and cut out most of the ply and balsa. I'll be starting the build in the fall, once the flying season wraps up!

I could use some advice from those of you who have seen this project through to completion.

#1. Is the adjustable stabilizer a worthwhile addition? What do you think about making it adjustable by way of a servo, so it can be changed in flight?

#2. Has anyone found that the plane needs any down or right thrust on the motor? I've never flown a plane that doesn't need at least a bit of both!

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Thanks also for this wonderful thread. It is an amazing resource.

Also... sign me up for the Waco Brotherhood!

Paul

skylarkmk1 06-01-2009 11:10 PM

Paul,

What size Waco are you building? That would help with the answers to some of you questions.

Who’s plans are you using?

The Pepino Plans need some serious rework to be viable. Inaccuracies from side to side and alignment, just to name a couple of problems. See Anthony’s build on another thread with the Pepino Plans, his problems and how he solved them.

The Pica Plans from the AMA are good, but please follow the changes that have been suggested. Wing joiners, engine mount, tail wheel set up and more.

There are other Wacos out there, see the Source list on the House of Moy http://www.houseofmoy.com/waco/

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress and ask more questions if needed.

RCplanman 06-02-2009 04:55 AM

John, has any of the Brotherhood built Dario Brisighellas ARE and how did it turn out. Thanks, rcplanman

SuperCub Man 06-02-2009 08:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
RCPlanman - I have just obtained Dario's plans for the Waco ARE and except for the stringers being balsa, the method of construction is very similar to his techniques for building the Skybolt which I have done. The Skybolt built very heavy due to the use of quite a lot of 1/4 ply and it necessitated my using a Zenoah G62 as a power plant. It flew well but was very heavy which probably contributed to its demise.
Salvaging only the wings, I rebuilt itsubbing Lite Ply throughout except for the firewall. I subbed all the spruce/basswood for balsa except for the four fuse longerons. It resulted in a much lighter model, which coupled with the much lighter new DLE-55, now makes ita top notch flier. If I had also re-built the wings using balsa spars with full spar webbing instead of the suggested spruce, I could have saved even more weight.
Dario's plans are a masterpiece but they are also 1980's vintage. By updateing the materials list and using todays building methods, the ARE should be a joy to fly. I received a note from Dario Sr. last week saying, "the ARElands almost hands off!!" I intend starting mine in the fall and I am certain it will result in a marvelous model. Not a 3D flier by any means but a nice plane to fly around with on a Sunday afternoon. I have the Skybolt to "with which to burn up the sky ". I also intend to mount my AREon BUSA 1/4 scale EDO floats like my Supercub. Typical ofcabin Wacosin the Canadian North. Don't be afraid of this model!!

RCplanman 06-02-2009 09:55 AM

supercubman, Jim, what is the lenght of the fush. on Darios waco.</p>

I've asked jr. but got no response, because i'll have to reduce it to get it my station</p>

which I had to do w/his Starduster 11.  rcplanman</p>

kvlasblom 06-02-2009 10:43 AM

Jim, sounds great!
I hope you'll start a build thread of your Waco ARE so I can follow your progress.
I look forward to it!

Best regards,
Kim

SuperCub Man 06-02-2009 11:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)

The full Specs. of the plans are:

1939 Waco ARE - 21% Scale
Engine: 35cc. thru 50cc.
Wt.: 20 - 24lbs (can be lightened)
Span: 87.25"
Area: 1800 sq.in.
Length: 70"
Wing Loading: 20 - 36oz/sq. ft.
Plans : 3 sheets and dated 1984

Dario Jr. is a busy guy and takes a while to return E-mails!

Thanks Kim. I may do so on another site. This one is too busy and devoted to Yms. I won't start until the fall unless I get bored with Supercubs and Skybolts! Not likely!! And I still have my YMF to play with when I really want to dance on the edge!</p>

RCplanman 06-02-2009 12:05 PM

Jim, Thanks for the info.Your planes look great, that's a great paint job, lots of masking, what paint did you use?. Thanks again.
   rcplanman

Stickbuilder 06-02-2009 12:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Paul of the North

Hello Waco builders,

I've been lurking in the background, reading my way through this thread. I think I'm on about page 140!

Anyway, I'm scratch building a Waco. I've ordered plans and fiberglass parts and cut out most of the ply and balsa. I'll be starting the build in the fall, once the flying season wraps up!

I could use some advice from those of you who have seen this project through to completion.

#1. Is the adjustable stabilizer a worthwhile addition? What do you think about making it adjustable by way of a servo, so it can be changed in flight?

#2. Has anyone found that the plane needs any down or right thrust on the motor? I've never flown a plane that doesn't need at least a bit of both!

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Thanks also for this wonderful thread. It is an amazing resource.

Also... sign me up for the Waco Brotherhood!

Paul
Paul,

To answer the questions that you asked in the order in which you asked them:

1. The adjustable stabilizer is controlled by a digital servo, and is adjustable in flight (but it is mechanically limited to being able to move from negative 0.5 degree (from the datum line) to a positive 4 degrees). The initial flight will be made at the plan setting of 2 degrees positive from the datum line. The incremental movements will be controlled using the flap knob on the transmitter.

2. Why would you want to build in right and/or down thrust to a model airplane. This would only make the model fly, "Hands off", at one throttle setting. Which one would you choose? Become intimate with the rudder on this one. Fly your own up and down lines, and be aware that this one requires some throttle on approach. In short, it don't glide or dead stick too good. In the event of a power loss, get the nose down right now. That's RIGHTNOW! keep up the airspeed, and level it out close to the deck, and get it on the ground.

You will not wish to horse the plane off the ground, but rather allow it to take off, once flying speed is reached. Climb outs are fairly flat, as they are on the full scale Waco. Having an adjustable horizontal stabilizer should take care of any trim issues around the pitch axis.

Stay with us. We'll all get through this madness (maybe)

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Stickbuilder 06-02-2009 12:55 PM

ORIGINAL: RCplanman

Bill, Whate the status of the new "T" shirts? Did I miss the calling while laid up?</p>

regards,rcplanman</p>
I talked to Jay (damifino) and we are getting close. Once the price is finalized, I will post the outcome, and once all the funds have been received, I will submit the order. The turn around time should be 3 weeks or so.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

SuperCub Man 06-02-2009 02:55 PM

RCPlanman - On all aircraft I used Krylon in the rattle cans. The Waco is covered with silver Solartex (finer weave in the cloth than coloured) and then sprayed with Krylon rattle can and trimed with some paint and some vinyl lettering. The cub and Skybolt were covered with Sig Coverall with one or two coats of Nitrate dope then Krylon in the various colours. On the Supercub I ran out of Nitrate and switched to butyrate. The finish was a disaster as the Krylon crazed in certain areas and would't take to the dope base. That is why thereare no side stripes on the cub. Since the paint job is a disaster Iwill just fly and enjoy her for the summer and then I wll re-cover over the winter and either get more nitrate or use Solartex and more Krylon. The Skybolt gave me no troubles with nitrate and Krylon.

Paul of the North 06-02-2009 04:10 PM

John,

I am using the Pica plans from AMA.

Paul

Paul of the North 06-02-2009 04:12 PM

Stickbuilder&lt;

Thanks for your comments.

Hey, don't forget to sign me up for the brotherhood!

Paul

Stickbuilder 06-02-2009 07:44 PM

<font size="9"><font color="#ff0000"><font size="10">NEW BROTHER ALERT !!!
<font color="#000000"><font size="2">We have a new Brother. Let's all welcome Paul of the North as Brother # 139.

We have to be careful not to exceed our quota of Yankees here. :D:D:D

Naah, I just checked, and we have some room left for some more of them. (wait....should that be them, you guys, youse????? I'm fairly certain that it ain't Y'allhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif)

Bill, Waco Brother #1
</font></font></font></font></font>

RICKSTUBBZ 06-03-2009 12:30 PM

<p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal">I ran across “all-battery.com” today. I have no idea what kind of place they are to do business with. However, it seems they have some decent prices and claim to be from Northern California.

Main page for RC Aircraft Transmitter and Receiver battery packs</p>

http://www.all-battery.com/rcairplanebatteries.aspx</p>

</p>

Look through here to find a few battery wire harnesses</p>

http://www.all-battery.com/connectors.aspx</p>

</p>

Browse around there is a lot of stuff at this place Lipo packs, LED lights for landing lights etc. etc.</p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal"></p>