RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

SuperCub Man 06-03-2009 12:37 PM

RE: WACO YMF

I've dealt with them without any problems as have others in our club. They sell the Tenergy brand of batteries (among others). Have used them a lot up here with no problems.Batteries seem to be OK!

mrdhud 06-04-2009 11:31 AM

<p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Paul of the North</font></p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal">

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font></p></p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman">Welcome aboard Paul looking forward in seeing your build. <span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span></font></font></p>

nine o nine 06-06-2009 08:53 AM

After doing the necessary repair work to my 30% YMF which tripped badly during a forced deadstick landing at TopGun I remaidened the bird yesterday. It went very well and I'm happy to report that the 215 radialengine now runs as advertised. I believe that I allowed the pressure tube from the crankcase to the carb get blocked by gease from the crankcase. Without the pressure pulses the carb won't pump.....end of story. While working on the tail feathers I raised the front stab tube spar 3/16ths toget rid of all the down elevator I was carrying. Now it's only necessary to carry about 1/4" down at the trailing edge.
Bill, in cruise flight no rudder or aileron trim is required for straight flight and the plane stays level at both cruise and high power......in other words, the engine offset (down and right) is right on the money for this bird. :) We agree to disagree. Say hi to Janelle for me.....she's a sweetie...you done good brother. Mitch

Stickbuilder 06-06-2009 12:55 PM

She does not use right or down to be able to fly her planes either. She knows how to use the rudder and the throttle and elevator.
:D:D

What do you do about the prop looking odd being closer to the cowl on one side than the other? Oh well, we did agree to disagree.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Paul of the North 06-06-2009 02:19 PM

SuperCub Man,

Great looking planes. Did you use oleo struts on your Waco landing gear? If so I would be interested is seeing some photos of your gear setup. Perhaps you've already posted some?

Thanks,

Paul

SuperCub Man 06-08-2009 01:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Paul of the North

SuperCub Man,

Great looking planes. Did you use oleo struts on your Waco landing gear? If so I would be interested is seeing some photos of your gear setup. Perhaps you've already posted some?

Thanks,

Paul
Hi Paul, Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner but it was a busy week end , what with this nice weather and a club float fly. I think I did post pix of my gear way back in the murky past but I couldn't begin to find them now. I have found a few pix but they don't really show the construction. I have a spare pair (experimental) and I will dismantle them and shoot some pix and post them here with a short explanation. They require some lathe work but nothing a hobbiest with a mini lathe shouldn't be able to handle. Construction was base on the photo of a 1/3 scale CJM gear shown in posting #1471. Here are a couple of shots of my gear to start off!
1. Gear Mounted
2. Gear from front
3. Gear mounting to fuse
4. Wheel fairing with gear covers in place (allows for removal of gear for repair/adjustment!)
5Wheel pant bracket
6Wheel pant bracket showing mounting - ears stop rotation nut fits into notch
7. Wheel pant mounted with bracket inside pant. Screw threads into gear and fiber locknuty holds all in place
8. Gear hatch covers . (they slide under gear fuse fairing)

Paul of the North 06-08-2009 08:30 PM

SuperCub Man,

Wow. You do some nice work! What a differencethe gear makes to the plane!

Building these is beyond my skills, but I have a buddy whomight make them for me. Can you give me some info on the materials you used?

Paul

Cybertom 06-12-2009 10:39 PM

Does anybody know how Argon is doing?  Long ago he participated in my Flair PT-17 review thread.  Then he built his Team Genesis WACO.  Next I saw  that he won best Bipe at Top Gun.  He hasn't posted since 2007.  Is he OK?

Stickbuilder 06-13-2009 04:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Cybertom

Does anybody know how Argon is doing? Long ago he participated in my Flair PT-17 review thread. Then he built his Team Genesis WACO. Next I saw that he won best Bipe at Top Gun. He hasn't posted since 2007. Is he OK?
If you are talking about Bob Gonzalez, he's doing extremely well. I saw him at Top Gun (first week of May) and he was in fine form. He sold his Genesis Waco to a Doctor in Miami, and was campaigning a large Spitfire. It had quite a few teething problems, and was unable to continue in the competition. He told me that he was going back to building Wacos.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Stickbuilder 06-17-2009 03:30 AM

I'm going to be accepting suggestions for the color scheme for the new 27% Waco.  It's not a contest, and no, you won't win anything.  I'm just fishing for some ideas.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

insert name here 06-17-2009 04:24 AM

Iwas wondering if anyone has built or flew the T&amp;J 1/12 scale Waco YMF.
http://www.tnjmodels.rchomepage.com/tnjwaco.php

Ihaven't seen one this size before and thought it might be a pretty neat addition, any thoughts?</p>

Stickbuilder 06-17-2009 08:30 AM

ORIGINAL: insert name here

Iwas wondering if anyone has built or flew the T&amp;J 1/12 scale Waco YMF.
http://www.tnjmodels.rchomepage.com/tnjwaco.php

Ihaven't seen one this size before and thought it might be a pretty neat addition, any thoughts?</p>
I have one of these but have not even opened the bag yet.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

WacoJoe 06-17-2009 10:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ilike this one! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...eeth_smile.gif

RICKSTUBBZ 06-17-2009 10:59 AM

ORIGINAL: WacoJoe

Me Too. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../thumbs_up.gif

Can I order one to go? http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gifhttp://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...sn/biggrin.gif

Seriously, She sure looks good Joe...Beautiful Plane....

tom czenthe 06-17-2009 01:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
How about the 27% dressed up in the 919TT suit............Here is the MASTER inspecting " let's see do we have the right number of corrugations on this alieron"

Stickbuilder 06-17-2009 09:05 PM

ORIGINAL: WacoJoe

Joe,

I promise to do the 27% UPF-7 just like that. Oops. I kinda let the cat out of the bag didn't I?????http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Stickbuilder 06-17-2009 09:07 PM

ORIGINAL: tom czenthe

How about the 27% dressed up in the 919TT suit............Here is the MASTER inspecting " let's see do we have the right number of corrugations on this alieron"
Tom, that model is of a UMF-5, and mine is a YMF-5 That won't work.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

mrdhud 06-17-2009 10:19 PM

<div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">Bill,</div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"></div><div style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt">When you build your 27% what year Waco will you model it after? The older or newer version? What ever you decide I&rsquo;m glad to hear you talk about it. I predict you will have a hit with this one. I&rsquo;m looking forward to its release.</div>

mrdhud 06-17-2009 10:31 PM

<p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">Bill,</font></p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal">

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font></p></p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3" face="Times New Roman">I like this one I’m not sure what color it is maybe red &amp; white? 1935 <city><place>Waco</place></city> YMF5 NC 14132</font></p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal">

<font size="3" face="Times New Roman"> </font></p></p><p style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt" class="MsoNormal"><font size="3"><font face="Times New Roman"><span style="mso-spacerun: yes"> </span>http://www.nationalwacoclub.com/f3f5album/slides/1935%20Waco%20YMF-5%20NC14132%2006.html</font></font></p>

skylarkmk1 06-18-2009 01:00 AM

Dan,

Ken Hodges (khodges) based his re-work of the COX/Pica ARF YMF on NC 14132 and did it in cream and red. We talked with Andy Heins who has most of the pictures in his collection and found out that NC 14132 (s/n 3957) is currently disassembled in a hanger in Ohio and the in the picture you referenced, the colors are the original Dark Blue and White from the factory. Other photos in the same album show it in yellow and red with a different cowl and also with different paint trim. Another variation is an air balance on the rudder has been added and is different from the original with out the balance and today’s YMF Supers with the slanted balance. There are a couple of pictures of Ken's YMF (actually a UMF with the cowl COX supplied) in the first part of this thread.

Also Bill will have to limit his choices for a Pica YMF to the original 18 or the first 10 Waco Classic Aircraft YMFs to stay half way accurate in scale. The WCA YMFs after #10 shortened the main landing gear and lengthed the tail gear. After #40 they became YMF Supers with a longer and wider fuselage and numerous other upgrades, mostly internal.

As far as the model pictured of N 919TT, the full size is a YMF Super (s/n F5C111) made in 2006 with a Jacobs R-755B2 Engine and lives in California.

Stickbuilder 06-18-2009 04:58 AM

It/they will be the YMF, but it will not be the Super.  The UPF is the big surprise.  I think that the lead UPF should be a model of Joe's in honor of his membership in the Brotherhood.  I like the YMF that you featured in your photo, but I'm thinking that the Dark Blue and Cream/White as the original would be a great one.  These 27% models are going to be done around the Zenoah GT 80 engine.  It's heavy enough to improve the balance of the model, and they have adequate power to pull the plane.  The wingspan will be right on 97". so they will transport well in a minivan, SUV or sport wagon.  I had an opportunity for a 40% version, but I don't have either the space for storage, or transportation without purchasing a trailer, and that is not something that I wish to do.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Tony V. 06-18-2009 08:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another though, also Bill you are close enough to get a ride..

Stickbuilder 06-18-2009 09:12 AM

Tony,

That one is a Super. Mine won't have the same scale dimension, so that one is not in the running. I really wish I had some photos of my GrandFather's YMF. There were some in existance, but someone else in the family (now long gone) got them. It would be like looking for the proverbial needle in the haystack.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

skylarkmk1 06-22-2009 08:22 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Wooohaaa, I scored big this weekend at the 2009 American Waco Club Fly In this weekend. I got a ride in the Waco pictured in P1. Totally cool as the pilot did some lazy 8's and a modified hammer head as well as just flying around the area.

Attendance was down due to the weather surrounding St Louis this year and the storms that kept threatening Creve Coeur Airport. Still there were about 17 Wacos of various shapes and sizes that did make it in.

Joe Norris (WacoJoe) and his wife Jeri came down in his UPF-7 despite the weather, good seeing you again Joe. (please don't tell them what I got my ride in)

Some Wacos that made it in were different from the last 2 years were an UEC, the _____ in P1, a Blue UPF, a very nice Red UPF and CCAs own newly restored YKS. The weather kept the planes hangered for a good part of the weekend but the owners and pilots did bring them out for display during the sunshine. CTO NC 280W, also known as Question Mark was brought out of the Museum and demonstrated how it set and held the climb to altitude records back in the day

P1 - ______, a very rare 1934 Waco. Can you guess what it is?
P2 – UPF-7, NC 29943 in Blue and Yellow, painted by the same painter as P3.
P3 – UPF-7, NC 32158 in Maroon and Yellow.
P4 – UPF-7, N 620AM, very nicely restored in Red with the civilian wing cutout, fairings on the landing gear, a Lycoming 9 cylinder engine and a few other nice touches.
P5 – YKS-7, NC 17457 before the current restoration and after a crash way back.
P6 – YKS-7, NC 17457 after restoration with the engine upgrades to a 275 hp Jacobs. Cruise is about 130 mph and they hope to get 135 mph after some more fairing work.
P7 – CTO, NC 280W, Question Mark in action. The big Wright engine makes a difference. It does not just levitate like most Wacos, it rotates and goes UP.
P8 – UEC, NC 12471, an Oshkosh 2000 award winner and member of the 2003 Air Tour (hence the # 15 on the side). Kept polished and ready for the next event.

Stickbuilder 06-22-2009 10:17 AM

Judging from the paired blisters, I'd hazard a guess that it's a UMF.

Bill, Waco Brother #1