RCU Forums

RCU Forums (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

skylarkmk1 06-22-2009 10:41 AM

RE: WACO YMF

Bill,

Nope, unfortunately no UMFs or YMFs were at this years Fly In. Count the cylinders.

old git 06-22-2009 12:01 PM

Keep at it WACO Brothers, I'm loving it.

WACO Brotherhood No. 14.

old git - - - - aka John L.

Stickbuilder 06-22-2009 12:29 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

Bill,

Nope, unfortunately no UMFs or YMFs were at this years Fly In. Count the cylinders.

Well, there appears to be 9 of them little buggers......Gimme a hint......What's the tail number?????http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f...wink_smile.gif
Bill, Waco Brother #1

skylarkmk1 06-22-2009 09:47 PM

1 Attachment(s)
No tail numbers, that would make it too easy. How about a 420 hp P&W.

P1- Lower forward cockpit window

germrb 06-22-2009 10:48 PM

John,

How 'bout Dick Jackson's 1934 WACO S3HD NC14048?</p>

skylarkmk1 06-22-2009 11:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Bob,

You got it (except for the "C" in the tail #). Send me a PM with your address and I'll send you a CD with about 100 pictures if N 14048.

Dick is one very nice fellow and actually came looking for me to give me the ride. A very gracious gesture and memorable flight from a very generous person.

P1 - N 14048, 1934 S3HD, the only S3HD on the civilian registry, the other, a S3HD-A was exported to Cuba where it crashed shortly after arrival.
P2 - Looking at the runway on final.
P3 - A look at the stabilizer airfoil
P4 - Claude McCulloughs model of the S3HD-A
P5 - Question Mark, NC 280W, off the port wing. One of the few Wacos that could keep up with the S3HD

Stickbuilder 06-23-2009 08:38 AM

You got me on that one. 

I got to see Claude's model several years ago.  It was well executed, but didn't blow my shirt tail up.  I wish he had done one in that size of the YMF, or UPF.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

eagledancer 06-25-2009 06:00 PM

hey guys, i am asking to become a member of the waco brotherhood, currently flying a 1/5 pica waco yellow and black. planning on a 1/4 scale soon
todd bixby
orlando fl

Stickbuilder 06-26-2009 06:51 AM

NEW BROTHER ALERT!!!

We have yet another new Brother. Everyone welcome Todd Bixby (eagledancer)

Welcome eagledancer, Waco Brother #140.

We hope you have fun with it.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

PacificNWSkyPilot 06-26-2009 07:47 AM

Welcome, Todd! You're now the owner of the most way-cool Bipe out there. Enjoy!

Oh, and the membership is fun too!

Jim

mrdhud 06-26-2009 10:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all, and welcome aboard Todd (eagledancer)

This is my start on the fuel tank I went back and looked at what others done and what Bill tried to explained to me and this is what I have so far nothing is glued yet so I can still make changes. Bill If this looks ok I will glue the strips down and put the rivets on the same way I did the ailerons.
I’m getting close I still have two ailerons to build for top wing and paint. Trying to get her finished in less than three years LOL

RICKSTUBBZ 06-26-2009 11:02 AM

Dan,

I want to say that tank work looks nice. I sure would be interested in going to school on how you made the creases in the panel.

skylarkmk1 06-26-2009 11:12 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dan,

You cover looks good, how are you attaching the strips to the cover (what kind of glue)?

Most of the Wacos I have seen do not have Fuel Tank covers or the upper part of the fuel tank exposed. The fuel tanks are installed, false ribs are placed over the tanks and the area covered just like the rest of the wing. It is a bit more trouble if the tank leaks to remove the covering than to unscrew/bolt a cover, but it does look better.

P1 - Center section of QCF NC 12428 being covered, note the fill ports and vents taped off.
P2 - Center section of UPF-7 N 620AM with covers. Also note that the curved civilian style upper wing notch has been restored in this plane.
P3 - Center section of YMF Classic NC 14081 with the covers part of the fuel tanks.
P4 - Center section of UBF NC 12002 after covering. note the reinforceing discs around the filler ports and vents.

eagledancer 06-26-2009 05:39 PM

Quote:

Welcome, Todd! You're now the owner of the most way-cool Bipe out there. Enjoy!

Oh, and the membership is fun too!

Jim
actually this is my 3rd pica 1/5 waco have been flying this bird for 3 years now, the first one was back in '86
nothing like a waco!

and thx so much for the membership!

PacificNWSkyPilot 06-26-2009 10:01 PM

Dang. Wasn't telling you anything you didn't already know.....

Jim

mrdhud 06-27-2009 08:13 AM

1 Attachment(s)
skylarkmk1

John, thanks for the pictures you posted I’m thinking may be if I cut off the strips flush with the tank cover it may look better. I’m not sure what kind of glue I’ll us to glue the strip down yet (any suggestions).
Any time someone posts a picture I like or think will be useful I save in a file. Wile looking thru my saved pictures I found this one (don’t know hue it belongs to) but looks real good and even had the dimensions. This is where I started.

RICKSTUBBZ

Rick, I had no idea how to make the creases when I started. I mark out the back side of my material in pencil then started to think of how to make the creases my first thought was to have some kind of thin metal I would us with a hammer to pound the creases in. I looked all over for something that would work with no luck then I then seen my old screen roller and thought could it be as easy as rolling them in? with a little practice I found I could us a straight edge and the roller it worked great.

skylarkmk1 06-27-2009 08:34 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Dan,

That first picture you posted is the cover I made way back towards the front of this thread, all one piece from flashing. Bill sent pictures of the PICA plastic cover and I went from there. I also used the screen roller for the creases and staight lines. The rivets where made with a rounded over ice pick just pushed gently into the metal. The hexagon shape was formed from a nut the right size that took some pounding and rework from the front. A little spot putty will fill the crack. The fuel caps are a couple of outer snap sections from Tandy Leather Co. I abandoned the idea of using the cover after finding out that most Waco restorations eliminate the cover and just seal in the tank with the fabric.

mrdhud 06-27-2009 09:20 AM

John,

That’s too bad after all that work you didn’t use the fuel tank. Will you post some pictures of your Waco I don’t believe I’ve seen it yet.
Thanks

skylarkmk1 06-27-2009 09:52 AM

Dan,

Haven't finished my Waco, barely started, working on some other projects at the moment.

RICKSTUBBZ 06-27-2009 06:08 PM

Dan, John,

Thanks for the insight on the tank. I am always tying to get ideas like that to stick in my head so that I can use them when I have the chance.

Also, John, thanks for the pictures from last weekend.

Todd, welcome

mrdhud 06-27-2009 08:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello all

I wonted to share these pictures with you. I emailed Barry he’s the owner of NC15241 the Waco I’m modeling mine after. He was gracious enough to send me pictures of his fuel tanks before covering them. He told me originally the tanks were uncovered but there were problems with rain water getting in around the rear spar and causing deterioration so he covered over them. He also relocated the fillers to the outboard sides for ease of service.

froghair1 06-28-2009 09:58 AM

Is there any further word on the tee shirts. I have not seen a post in a while regardind them. Guess every one is busy flying too

Stickbuilder 06-28-2009 05:36 PM

Quote:

ORIGINAL: froghair1

Is there any further word on the tee shirts. I have not seen a post in a while regardind them. Guess every one is busy flying too
I'm not having much luck reaching Jay.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

RCBOATMANIAC 07-01-2009 10:01 AM

Dan nice work on your Waco! It has been a while since I have posted anything, been to busy doing work around the house, and I think I am slowly getting caught up.

I do have a question for somebody that might be able to answer it for me, Bill I know you have an OS FT-160 so you might be able to give me some in sight. I found an OS GEMINI FT-120 Brand new in box never mounted in a plane or even sniffed a drop of fuel! My question is how much would it be worth or how much would somebody be willing to pay for it.

Stickbuilder 07-01-2009 11:15 AM

Dave,

Does it have the new style rods or the old aluminum rods? The early version would spit a rod in a heartbeat. They like FAI fuel, so that's in their favor, but I'd hang on to it for a few years more, and then sell it to a collector. They make about as much power as a good 70 four stroke.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

the local Hobby Shop has one for sale on consignment. The owner is asking 250.00 for it, and it's been there for a couple of years now.