RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

Stickbuilder 01-17-2010 07:29 PM

RE: WACO YMF

NEW BROTHER ALERT !!!!

Now they come in pairs. Welcome reyn3545. Do you happen to have a real name by which you are known?

It's about time you joined up and quit laying on our legs.:D:D:D

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Stickbuilder 01-17-2010 07:31 PM

ORIGINAL: aminiet

Gentlemen.

Regarding the flexibility problem on the slave rods mentioned by both REYN and WACONUT, on posts 9893,9898.
I may have the answer to the problem.

I am working on the landing gear struts at this time and will be using the same method for the rods as well and the interplane struts in order to keep the profile and build up strenght.
I am using a 1/4'' Dubro turnbuckle cut at the center and soldered each half into the ends of a 7/32'' brass tube, next I ground off the trailing edge of a 5/8'' aluminun strut from K&S to open it up and cut to 3/8'' wide from the leading edge.
Bonded the brass tube into the aluminum strut and bent the trailing edges closed, next I bonded a 1/8'' aluminum tube to the brass tube and to the aluminun strut, blending the excess material off
this will keep the profile of the struts of the original aircraft and provide strength as well.

Angel
WB 58

Angel, How about some photos?

Bill, Waco Brother #1

aminiet 01-17-2010 08:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Bill.

Getting warm in Florida yet?

I took another picture and the detail shows better, still having problems with the glare, hopefully once it is primed the glare will go away.
Hope the picture comes out

Angel
WB 58

reyn3545 01-17-2010 08:10 PM

Real name is Mike Reynolds... I thought I should at least get this thing up and down once in one piece before I asked to join such a prestigeous group!

Steelie 01-17-2010 08:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: reyn3545

Real name is Mike Reynolds... I thought I should at least get this thing up and down once in one piece before I asked to join such a prestigeous group!

..."prestigeous group!"........

Ahem, if this is such a group, I'm already unfit to join.
I love the Waco. Prettiest thing that flies, without feathers.
Here's one I got a hop in down in Florida. Will never forget it.

Steelie 01-17-2010 08:45 PM

reyn3545 01-17-2010 09:12 PM

I thought maybe I'd find an appropriate avatar.

Stickbuilder 01-18-2010 04:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Steelie

...''prestigeous group!''........

Ahem, if this is such a group, I'm already unfit to join.
I love the Waco. Prettiest thing that flies, without feathers.
Here's one I got a hop in down in Florida. Will never forget it.

Ahem indeed. If you want to be a member, just say so. :D

Bill, Waco Brother #1

reyn3545 01-18-2010 08:41 AM

I guess it was more of a personal goal. I've got a bad habit of building stuff and then letting it sit in the basement for months because I don't want to crack it up. I lost a plane on the maiden flight several years ago.

Back then, I was just getting in to flying, only had 1 plane. I made a mistake and crashed the plane, and I wanted to fly the next day, so I went to the local hobby store, bought another ARF and stayed up until 3 in the morning building it. I went out later that morning, got the motor tuned, and headed down the runway... only to find out that I should have range checked the thing before flying! It took off (on its own), and luckily did an immedaite barrel roll back to the ground at full throttle. The plane was a total loss, but no one was injured. Ever since then, I've been ultra conservative about checking, double-checking, etc.. Every maiden flight I take, like the Waco a few days ago, I make maybe 5 or 6 circles, no stressful flying, then I land and inspect the plane for anything that I may have overlooked. That's how I found the slop in the elevator this time, and why I'm not taking the Waco to the field today...

I'm sure I'll crash more planes, that's part of what we do.... but hopefully it won't be for setup issues that I could have found and corrected.

Oh... and I guess I'm member # 153?

RCplanman 01-18-2010 09:44 AM

reyn3545, I understand how disappointing it is to lose a plane, but as you said, its part of our hobby. I remind myself & friends that this is a terminal hobbyplanes do not die of old age, so do as good as you can and enjoy the hobby. Better days are ahead for you. :) Cheers, Bill

reyn3545 01-18-2010 09:53 AM

I just wish the gub'ment would make the plane manufacturers put the expiration date on the fuse. That way, you'd know which plane NOT to carry to the field!

Hinckley Bill 01-18-2010 10:30 AM

I'm sure this information is buried somewhere in this "epic" thread but figured it'd be easier just to ask again...

What's everyone using on their Jim Pepino Waco's? The one I bought has a Q52 on it and I'm thinking about raising the stakes with something
a little larger (perhaps a twin even if it'll fit).

Thx,

Bill

nine o nine 01-18-2010 11:40 AM

Every plane we build and fly has an expiration date printed somewhere on the inside....we just don't know how to find it. Mitch

reyn3545 01-18-2010 12:03 PM

Mine has a Saito 450 radial, about the equivilent (suposedly) to a 75cc gas motor. It's only had one flight, the motor is still breaking in, and the plane weighs in right at 30 pounds dry. The motor flies it well, not balistic, but probably better power than scale.

Stickbuilder 01-19-2010 05:15 AM

Mine has a Saito 450 radial, about the equivilent (suposedly) to a 75cc gas motor. It's only had one flight, the motor is still breaking in, and the plane weighs in right at 30 pounds dry. The motor flies it well, not balistic, but probably better power than scale.
What prop does this engine like? I was under the impression that the 450 liked something in the 22" diameter range. My 80 twin really hums well with the Xoar 26X8, and with the 26X6 becomes a screamer. Isn't the Saito 450 in reality a 4.5 cubic inch engine? The reason for asking is that I'm looking for an engine for my Cessna 195. It's quarter scale, from Wendell Hostleter plans. I was thinking that the 450 just might be the perfect engine for this plane. It's never going to be aerobatic, since it has a very long aspect ratio wing, and the ailerons and flaps are fairly small. It should be about like flying a school bus around.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

PacificNWSkyPilot 01-19-2010 08:01 AM

I remember the first time saw a 195, in a little airport in NH.... I just had to know what it was, and it took me a while to find out. I loved the way the windshield and nose were set up. I often thought about building one, but the school-bus handling eventually moved it to the back burners, where it stayed.

RCplanman 01-19-2010 08:31 AM

Stickbuilder, What does it weigh and did you like building from his plans?. Thanks, Bill

reyn3545 01-19-2010 09:07 AM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

What prop does this engine like? I was under the impression that the 450 liked something in the 22'' diameter range. My 80 twin really hums well with the Xoar 26X8, and with the 26X6 becomes a screamer. Isn't the Saito 450 in reality a 4.5 cubic inch engine? The reason for asking is that I'm looking for an engine for my Cessna 195. It's quarter scale, from Wendell Hostleter plans. I was thinking that the 450 just might be the perfect engine for this plane. It's never going to be aerobatic, since it has a very long aspect ratio wing, and the ailerons and flaps are fairly small. It should be about like flying a school bus around.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

My only flight was with a Bolly carbon 23x12.... and I think it was just little too much prop for the motor. I also have a Xoar laminated 22x10 that I will try on the next flight.

Stickbuilder 01-19-2010 05:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My 195 is the one that DickWatz built for the Toledo Show in 2008. It was displayed in Wendell's booth. This is probably the only plane that I will ever own that was built by someone else. Dick and I are close enough to have been born Brothers. It is an honor to own the 2 tone red one.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

PacificNWSkyPilot 01-19-2010 06:36 PM

What a beauty!

carddfann 01-19-2010 08:22 PM

Hey guys. Anybody else seen this very very cool YMF-5 duet putting on a show in Germany on youtube? Terrific! Follow this link or cut/paste to your browser. They even catch each others planes on camera as they fly dandem. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ae7y8hvTPBs

carddfann 01-19-2010 08:26 PM

Here's another video of the same two guys. Check out how great their engines sound.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KH9gP2yloI0&NR=1

kestrel0222 01-20-2010 05:40 PM

This is a great thread!! I have been following it since it began and need your advise. I am in the process of building a 1/6 scale version of this plane, using the PICA plans that have been made available through http://houseofmoy.com/waco/. Thanks for making these available to all of us!!!! I downloaded the templates for the 1/5 scale version and plotted them out (using a scale factor) to arrive at the correct size. On to my question: I need a cowling for this model, I see that there are a couple of different vendors that sell this item. Is one better then the other, or are they the same quality? I don't what this to turn into a "bashing" of one over the other, just would like to know which one worked better for you.

Thank you,

Jim Henley 01-20-2010 06:15 PM

Tom,
I am aware of two suppliers, Fiberglass Specialties, and Stan's Fiber Tech. If you look back in the thread, there should be some information where Stickbuilder and Damfino, sent a YMF style plug to Brad Hensley at Stan's. As far as I know both suppliers sell the 1/5 th and 1/6th UMF cowl ( Paired blisters for the Continental Engine) only Stan's sells the correct 1/5th scale YMF (evenly space blisters for the Jacobs Engine).
In other words either suppler can fix you up with a 1/6th cowl, but only one, has the "YMF" cowl and that is in 1/5 scale.

SuperCub Man 01-20-2010 09:44 PM

Congrats on your first flight. I'm still washing out my shorts after mine - and that was last year!!