RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

skylarkmk1 02-27-2010 10:19 PM

RE: WACO YMF

gunner3

The original verticle fin/rudder on the UMF was smaller than what is seen on the YMF-5 today. They were increased to help with a stability problem and most of the earlier U/YMF with the smaller verticle were upgraded either at the factory or by the owner..

Waco had a number of different tail groups.

The U/YMF is one and was used on the YKS and others.

The UPF has a taller thicker shape on the verticle and the horizontal has a much thicker airfoil and recurves back to the fuselage. Similar
verticles were used on the SRE and others.

The AVN (and relitives) was different again and was also the only tricycle geared Waco

The CSO, CTO, ASO, ATO had very flat surfaces and round verticles and appear to be just stuck on the fuselage like a 25ยข stick glider.

There are many variations for Waco Tail Surfaces and when you think that Waco produced over 100 different models of bi-planes, it stands to reason.

Take a look at the National Waco Clubs Photo Album to see the variations.

Any time you get a chance to see a Waco, go for it. The American Waco Club has its annual Fly in at Creve Coeur Airport near St Louis and the National Waco Club has theirs in Mid Ohio, both Fly Ins are in June and you can expect to see a lot of different Wacos.

Hinckley Bill 02-27-2010 11:00 PM

Just an FYI.....

Pepino Waco ARC for sale if anyone's interested.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=608931

Looks like it was a strip down and recover job that needs completion.

frequent flyer 02-28-2010 02:38 AM

Way back ,I think it was Cubman that used small brass hinges for the ailerons, he said he replaced the wire with.040 wire I believe. This was to make the hinge move easier. My question is how to pull out the wire I've tried many times and it breaks. Did yoou heat it or something?

frequent flyer 02-28-2010 02:52 AM

Way back ,I think it was Cubman that used small brass hinges for the ailerons, he said he replaced the wire with.040 wire I believe. This was to make the hinge move easier. My question is how to pull out the wire I've tried many times and it breaks. Did you heat it or something?

Stickbuilder 02-28-2010 04:35 AM

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

Here are some pictures of how they were set up when i got it.

I have tought about making a adjustable stab but still am thinking about it.

I've thought about using a set screw to adjust it. I am noth shure how I will keep the setscrew from baking out though. If I were to locktite it I would need to back out the screw each time to re-locktite it.

Going the servo route I would need to purchas another servo. How strong of a servo would I need? Would 70oz per sq in be enough? The down side is that Im 16 and am working on a limited budget.
We are all on a fixed and limited budget. We can't vote ourselves a raise (as some folk can). Just be sure to spend what you have where it counts most.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

WacoNut 02-28-2010 06:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Hinckley Bill

Just an FYI.....

That is Jeff Quesenberry selling the Pepino Waco. Jeff is a very skilled modeler and doesn't build junk. If anyone is looking for a good 1/4 Waco I would give it a serious look. It has a twin gas engine to boot. The picture he has in his add is a stock photo and not of the one he is selling. At $850 I think it's a great deal. I would PM Jeff and ask him for some pics if I was interested.
Later!!
Anthony

PacificNWSkyPilot 02-28-2010 08:00 AM

I second that. I've known Jeff for a long time, and he does great work. He's quite prolific, he usually has one or two up for sale and a few in the wings in various stages of build.

I know he flies too, but he's really into building in a big way. He's a really nice guy too.

If Jeff built this, it should be some nice work.

~ Jim ~

Jim Henley 02-28-2010 08:42 AM

F.C.
Do you have a way to check the stab incidence? If the stab is correct, my thought would be leave it as is and cover. The reason I went the adjustable route was my stab was off quite a bit. So I had to cut it apart anyway. The adjustable stab is not hard to build but does require a bit of fabrication. You have to replace the stab platform with lite ply to support the rear pivot and once you have that done and the stab works to your satisfaction, you need to a piece of hardwood or I used lite ply and balsa for the vertical stab mount. After I got the verical stab where I wanted it I cut small formers and used 1/16 balsa to form the fillit for the rear of the fuse. The pictures John just posted show very clearly the aluminum fillit used on the restoration project. If you decide to go the adjustable route I can tell you how I made my adjustment so it will not back out

SuperCub Man 02-28-2010 10:37 AM

ORIGINAL: frequent flyer

Way back ,I think it was Cubman that used small brass hinges for the ailerons, he said he replaced the wire with.040 wire I believe. This was to make the hinge move easier. My question is how to pull out the wire I've tried many times and it breaks. Did you heat it or something?
I too had difficulty in removing some of the original wires. You can try heat or soaking in oil. I was lucky in getting some hinges that were not too tight. In others I found that by cutting off a bit of the tip of the hinge exposing about 1/2" of wire that I was able to grip it in a bench vise and by putting my weight against it and gently twisting and pulling that eventually the wire did come out. The trick is to not bend the steel wire too much but to pull as straight as possible while twisting back and forth. If someone played a flame on the brass hinge while you pulled, it might allow the brass to expand a little and ease the wire out. Some hinges were very stiff and if one had the chance to actually go to the store and select the hinges, he would be able to get some that were quite loose.
Best I can advise!!

ROBERTADAMS 02-28-2010 11:32 AM

Pica produced two sizes; a 60" w.s. and a 72" w.s. Which one did you buy on ebay? I still am flying the larger one I build about 1985. Great flying airplane.

fishinchickens 02-28-2010 02:26 PM

I set the moter mount at 0 degrees and got +2 degrees of incidence for the stab. I looked at the plans and couldnot find out if the mouter mount had any up/down thrust built in.

Jim Henley 02-28-2010 02:54 PM

Sounds like it is close, to be sure set the crutch to 0 degrees and check the stab incidence. The crutch will be the 1/4 stringer just below the cockpit opening. While the motor mount should not have any right or down thrust (per design) the crutch is what all your incidence measurments are referenced to. Again if it is correct (and it sounds close) then I'd cover it and move forward. Lots of these old airplanes were build without adjustable stabs and they flew just fine. As long as they are balanced correctly i.e. center of balance about 28% MAC

FMBB 03-01-2010 12:41 PM

Hi Neil,

I have call the comp. in question for the garage door covers. They are accepting US funds a standard picture will be 229,- US dollars.

Peter

Neil K 03-01-2010 12:46 PM

Thank You Peter. I am looking forward to communicating with you more in the future as I have decided to build one of your kits (1/4 scale Waco)in the near future, just as soon as I can set the shop up for the larger model. Thank you very much for checking on the motif for me, I will be placing an order soon. Take good care.
Neil K

chuck l 03-01-2010 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Hinckley Bill

Just an FYI.....

Isn't the Spehar 4.6 twin a little big, weight and power wise, for the plane? The Peter's quarter scale Waco I built had a G62 with EI and required a lot of tail weight to balance out. It wasn't lacking for power either. The twin would probably sound pretty nice. Does anyone know anything about the engine?

Chuck

Stickbuilder 03-02-2010 04:56 AM

I don't know about that engine, but I'm building the new 27% (97.4" span) YMF-5 around the Zenoah GT-80.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

johnboy151a 03-02-2010 11:58 AM

Bill,
How do you think the OS FT300 will do in the 27%?

Stickbuilder 03-02-2010 07:00 PM

ORIGINAL: johnboy151a

Bill,
How do you think the OS FT300 will do in the 27%?
This model will weigh in the mid 30 pound range, and should be flown on something around a 26" diameter prop. I don't honestly think that the 300 twin has enough guts for that. It would also be a thirsty monster. It is a very powerful engine, but I really don't think that its got enough for this one.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

amscat 03-02-2010 07:48 PM

<p class="MsoNormal" style="margin: 0in 0in 0pt"><font face="Times New Roman" size="3">Has anyone here considered building the 1/5 scale with fixed center wing sections and plug-in outer panels? What are your thoughts on this? Would it be worth it?</font></p>

reyn3545 03-02-2010 08:06 PM

it would be tough to get your electronics mounted... that's typically where everything installs from.

Stickbuilder 03-02-2010 09:19 PM

ORIGINAL: amscat

<p class=''MsoNormal'' style=''margin: 0in 0in 0pt''><font face=''Times New Roman'' size=''3''>Has anyone here considered building the 1/5 scale with fixed center wing sections and plug-in outer panels? What are your thoughts on this? Would it be worth it?</font></p>
I did take a look at doing just that, but it would have required a total redesign of the wing assembly and the fuselage bottom. That all needs to be done anyway to improve the scale outline, and I'm doing quite a bit of it on my current fifth scale build. The Pica wing is totally wrong, and the bottom of the fuse is wrong at the lower wing center section. There is not a center wing so to speak on the full scale. The cockpit floor sits on the wing spars, and there is no airfoil to the center section.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

amscat 03-02-2010 10:28 PM

Yes, I'm not wild about the traditional wing-bolt hold down on the 1/5 scale. My rationale in looking at a three section wing is that the Pica wing is three sections anyhow , you could then incorporate the lower wing center into the fuselage (as you say), and make the top wing center fixed on the cabanes. Your dihedral would have to be determined by the wing tubes (or whatever) in the center sections. Might make it easier to set up proper incidence and cabane mounts, though

<span lang="EN">

reyn3545 - not sure what you mean about mounting electronics?</p></span>

Stickbuilder 03-03-2010 05:21 AM

ORIGINAL: reyn3545

it would be tough to get your electronics mounted... that's typically where everything installs from.
When you mount the electronics package above the wing saddle, you eliminate the possibility of building in a scale cockpit. As I stated, the cockpit floor sits atop the spar. You need to build in an electronics bay as I did. You can find the pics a few pages back.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

khodges 03-03-2010 08:50 PM

Anybody interested in an Ikon 1/5 scale UPF-7 kit? Just as I bought it, nothing's been removed, box only opened once. $150, buyer pays shipping. Got several 1/4 scale BUSA kits also. PM me.

aminiet 03-03-2010 08:56 PM

Ken.

I promised my wife I wasn't going to build another one. What's available?