RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

pimmnz 02-01-2007 03:06 AM

RE: WACO YMF

Just a quick question, as with all the knowledge and fixes for this model has anyone updated the plans to show the latest version with all the fixes on it?
Evan, WB#12.

old git 02-01-2007 05:27 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi folks.

Herewith my image (abseiling for Macmillan Charity) and also request for aircraft suggestion for the new powerplant given me by a cousin. It was made by an aeromodeling uncle about eighty years ago.

old git - - - - - aka John L.

WACO Brotherhood No. 14.

Stickbuilder 02-01-2007 05:46 AM

ORIGINAL: old git

Hi folks.

Herewith my image (abseiling for Macmillan Charity) and also request for aircraft suggestion for the new powerplant given me by a cousin. It was made by an aeromodeling uncle about eighty years ago.

old git - - - - - aka John L.

John,

What kind of powerplant is it? Do you guys have an aeromolelling museum over there? That would be my suggestion.

I was right...We are a bunch of olde phartes. Not one kid in the bunch. :D

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
WACO Brotherhood No. 14.

Stickbuilder 02-01-2007 05:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Ricatic

Stickbuilder, is not the best place for an Arfer to start is with the plans.:D
I would reccomend the plans, and the building manual (such as it is). Once you are familiar with the plans, and how they work (the manual) then you might wish to attempt to build the rudder, or elevators...followed by the vertical stab, and the horizontal stab. Once you see how the wood works, or tries not to work, you might wish to build the wings. The fuselage should be the last part built, in order for you to gain the experience needed to make it work.

Actually, I would reccomend you building some other kit first, since this one is so involved. Might I be so bold, as to make a reccomendation that you try something like Bruce Tharpe's Venture 60. Bruce's kits can be totally assembled (dry) with no glue whatsoever. The parts are that well made. This is a model that will allow you to learn how to build in the correct sequences to successfully be able to complete a more complex model such as the WACO. Yes, you do need to use adhesives to build one of his, but you can really dry fit everything first. His are true quality kits. And they fly extremely well. (nope, I don't work for him)

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Edwin 02-01-2007 07:28 AM

Harryj,
I take a set, sent you PM.
Edwin

Edwin 02-01-2007 07:31 AM

HarryJ,
Let me know if you dont get the PM. I got a java script error right after I sent it. Dont know if it was the pm or the page it jumped to.
Edwin

flyguy888 02-01-2007 12:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
FYI
I was able to open the dxf files fine. The dxf files on the web site were produced by a raster to vector type of translation program (Stickbuilder, what did you use to produce the DXF files?). I do not believe they will not be able to be used by laser cutters without redrawing them in a cad package using lines and arcs.
For those who do not know, DXF is universal export format (DXF is a name autocad gave it even though the format had been around for 5 years) for flat plane CAD drawings and images. However, DWG is a format that is proprietary to the autocad cad system. Every CAD system has its own proprietary format that it stores files in, but you can export the files using various formats. Almost any cad system will allow export in dxf but not all will allow export in dwg unless they have purchased a license from autocad to use that export type.
Below is a blow up of a section of what the outside profile of what the F6 bulhead in DXF looks like. This confusion of data is typical for raster to vector translators. They are making a best guess at a image and trying to generate a mathmatical image. This type of interpretated dxf file is not able to be used by machine programming systems unless they have some sort of smart function to guess at what the actual profile is. I am not aware of such a function but it may exist for laser engravers. In any event, if a laser cutter could use such files, it would be the softwares best guess at what is really being drawn and would not generate what you want for clean accurate cuts.
Hats off to stickbuilder for all the work he has done. The files are usable for sure.

flyguy888 02-01-2007 01:43 PM

edited

Stickbuilder 02-01-2007 06:01 PM

Dang, Ron, When you edit, you don't fool around do you? :D

Evan,

I will make the necessary mods on an overlay (I'm basically lazy and don't want to redraw the entire plan) that you can tape over the existing plan.

Bill, AMa 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

skylarkmk1 02-01-2007 07:26 PM

Bill,

A suggestion. After all the parts are tweaked into a final form and converted to a common format, how about submitting the parts template pages to the AMA as a suppliment to the Pica plans that they already have (plan # 35408, $33)? You would need to ask them what format they need it in such as digital format (.DXF, .DWG, etc. ) or just an accurate paper drawing. Maybe one of our CAD artists out there could do the final drawing and plotting on one sheet. Just a thought.

Also, FWIW, the AMA Plans service has plans for the N.Ziroli WACO N (a tricycle Cabin model, dated 1/67) for $13 and Flying Models Magazine (AMA's Source) has them for $8. Granted, this is only a 40" ws model and not our subject model, but it is a WACO and many of N.Ziroli's plans have been enlarged very sucessfully.

Stickbuilder 02-01-2007 07:43 PM

That's not a half bad idea. I would like to see the Brotherhood get the credit for the submission though. Hopefully someone from the AMA looks at these threads occasionally. Of course, I don't look at all of them myself, but I do try to keep up with what's going on around the Universe (cars and boats excepted) The same goes for Stan's Fiberglass. I would like to see the New YMF cowl designation read something like, "WACO YMF Cowl 1/5th Scale by The WACO Brotherhood". No single member, all together.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Stickbuilder 02-01-2007 07:47 PM

Harry,

If you want to get rid of the cowl kit, I'll take it. If you have an extra set of the plans, I would like a set of them as well, If not, I can get a set of mine copied. I would like to rework a set of the plans with the modifications shown, and make them available for those who would rather build with these modifications on the plan, rather than have to hip shoot all the changes.

As to the cowl, Brad stated that he is running behind, and that if we wanted the Corrected cowls, one of us would need to build the cowl, complete with the correct radius at the cowl to blister junction. Once he has the cowl to use for a plug in his hands, he stated that it did not take that long to make a mold from it, and start pulling copies. I am sending my new cowl to damifino, since he has graciously offered to put it together, and finish it for us. Therefore, I would appreciate the cowl that you have, since I like to use the built-up one.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Ricatic 02-01-2007 08:10 PM

Bill,

Thanks for the advice on the kit. Believe me, I can see and appreciate the complexity of the Pica kit. I am not a complete newbie and any attempt to do this will be a slow and careful endeavor. When I take the plunge, I wll rely on the Brotherhood for encouragement and support. The most recent kit built is a 4*120 that is nearly complete. Thanks again.:)

ChrisMH 02-01-2007 08:23 PM

ORIGINAL: ronj10

FYI
I was able to open the dxf files fine. The dxf files on the web site were produced by a raster to vector type of translation program (Stickbuilder, what did you use to produce the DXF files?). I do not believe they will not be able to be used by laser cutters without redrawing them in a cad package using lines and arcs.
For those who do not know, DXF is universal export format (DXF is a name autocad gave it even though the format had been around for 5 years) for flat plane CAD drawings and images. However, DWG is a format that is proprietary to the autocad cad system. Every CAD system has its own proprietary format that it stores files in, but you can export the files using various formats. Almost any cad system will allow export in dxf but not all will allow export in dwg unless they have purchased a license from autocad to use that export type.
Below is a blow up of a section of what the outside profile of what the F6 bulhead in DXF looks like. This confusion of data is typical for raster to vector translators. They are making a best guess at a image and trying to generate a mathmatical image. This type of interpretated dxf file is not able to be used by machine programming systems unless they have some sort of smart function to guess at what the actual profile is. I am not aware of such a function but it may exist for laser engravers. In any event, if a laser cutter could use such files, it would be the softwares best guess at what is really being drawn and would not generate what you want for clean accurate cuts.
Hats off to stickbuilder for all the work he has done. The files are usable for sure.
I converted the files from Stickbuilder's jpgs, and I know they're far from perfect. I plan, given time, to clean them up so that they're usable by a laser cutter. They're just a first step ;) I don't know any great way to accurately scale a jpg, but I do know how to do it in AutoCAD, so that's what I did.

Chris

Stickbuilder 02-01-2007 08:29 PM

ORIGINAL: ChrisMH

I converted the files from Stickbuilder's jpgs, and I know they're far from perfect. I plan, given time, to clean them up so that they're usable by a laser cutter. They're just a first step ;) I don't know any great way to accurately scale a jpg, but I do know how to do it in AutoCAD, so that's what I did.

Chris

Chris,

I just finished cutting the wing parts tonight. Tell me what you would like me to do in order to make your life a little easier. Would you rather me send you the paper templates via snail mail, or what? There are a lot of cut parts to the wings, not to mention the sticks and sheeting, shear webbing etc. I am going to add cap strips to the next one as well, along with dummy ribs over the leading edge sheeting, and blend them into the trailing edge sheets. Lots more work, but it's a WACO.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

damifino 02-01-2007 11:20 PM

I would like to rework a set of the plans with the modifications shown, and make them available for those who would rather build with these modifications on the plan, rather than have to hip shoot all the changes.
I will build it with the mods. Keep me in mind when you do the overlay or however you decide to do it. I want a copy, too. Thanks.

Stickbuilder 02-02-2007 04:35 AM

ORIGINAL: damifino

I will build it with the mods. Keep me in mind when you do the overlay or however you decide to do it. I want a copy, too. Thanks.
I plan to provide each Brother with a set of the modified plans.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Edwin 02-02-2007 07:31 AM

Well, I'm setup with Harry. Looks like a Waco is going to be moved up in the build que. Isnt that the way it always is. You think, first finish this one, next start that one, then I'll repair this one. But wait, look at that plane. Its beautiful, gotta have one. Shuffle, shuffle, shuffle. No wonder my wife thinks I'm nuts.

Stickbuilder,
Does this mean I need a number? Will my hands not work on a Waco till I get a number?

Edwin

ChrisMH 02-02-2007 10:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Chris,

I just finished cutting the wing parts tonight. Tell me what you would like me to do in order to make your life a little easier. Would you rather me send you the paper templates via snail mail, or what? There are a lot of cut parts to the wings, not to mention the sticks and sheeting, shear webbing etc. I am going to add cap strips to the next one as well, along with dummy ribs over the leading edge sheeting, and blend them into the trailing edge sheets. Lots more work, but it's a WACO.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Bill, whatever's easiest for you. I believe you said that your scanner was on the blink, so if you want me to scan them I'm happy to. Otherwise, sending me the .jpgs is fine. Either way, I'll convert them to CAD and then, as I get time, clean them up in CAD.

Chris

Stickbuilder 02-02-2007 11:45 AM

Chris,

As it turns out, the problem with my scanner is that the color cartridge is out of ink. This is an H-P all in one, and it won't allow you to even scan to a file if the ink is low. Looks like a good way to sell more cartridges to me.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

damifino 02-02-2007 01:33 PM

STICKBUILDER- Your package went out today. I put a piece of Precision Board in there for you to play with.

mobyal 02-02-2007 04:55 PM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Mobyal,

You are certainly welcome here. We have a few other members of the Brotherhood who are in the process of doing the COX ARF version. While the framework for the COX version does not follow the frame for the KIT version, the end result should be about the same. I don't care if it's ARF, KIT, or SCRATCH BUILT. It's a WACO, so everything is good. This applies to the 1/6th scale version. No apologies are necessary. If you like what you see, think about joining the Brotherhood.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
Bill --
How does one go about joining the Brotherhood? Any places left? And is Member No. "66" taken? I'm partial to that because that's my VMI Class.
Thanks
Al

Stickbuilder 02-02-2007 05:23 PM

ORIGINAL: mobyal

Bill --
How does one go about joining the Brotherhood? Any places left? And is Member No. "66" taken? I'm partial to that because that's my VMI Class.
Thanks
Al

Al,

Look back at page 44. That's the latest roster, Welcome in.

damifino,

Thanks.

To: ALL

We have had a series of Tornado's here in our city overnight, and into this morning, with considerable loss of life and property. Looks like about 14 fatalities right around here, and a total of 42 statewide so far. Hundreds of homes destroyed, and thousands damaged. We (personally) did not suffer any damage, but know quite a few who did. Keep everyone in central Florida in your thoughts and prayers. I may be busy for some time (helping out where we can)(the wife has been manning the internet, answering families and loved ones cries for information) Be back with you shortly. I will try to check in at least once every day.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

damifino 02-02-2007 05:52 PM

Received the PICA WACO plans from AMA today. The PICA instructions are not included. Anyone have a set they can scan and e-mail to me. I know you are busy STICKBUILDER, You guys are in our thoughts and prayers.

I do some graphic design and have some T-shirts printed from time to time. Anyone interested in WACO Brotherhood Tee-shirts? They will be very reasonably priced. Would like to do a deal where everyone could buy at least 2 so the printing cost is extra low. Hanes BEEFY-T is my normal quality shirt. Let me know and we'll see what we can do about donating some of the proceeds to a disaster relief charity. How 'bout it?

mobyal 02-02-2007 07:02 PM

Thanks, Bill
Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Moby Al
Waco Brotherhood #66