RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

Stickbuilder 01-04-2011 03:28 AM

RE: WACO YMF

Dan,

My butt may be in Tennessee, but my Heart is in the Sunshine State. It's 24 this morning, and some people think that is normal.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

chuck l 01-04-2011 04:41 AM

Bill,

65 degrees here in Fort Myers at 8:00am heading for the mid 70's. I'm going flying this afternoon.

Chuck

redbiscuits 01-04-2011 06:33 AM

Hey All,
I am fixin' to start the 1/5 scale Waco in a month or so and was thinking of the DLE20 as an engine. I like the beam mount of the engine and not changing the firewall and tank location will save some time. Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Red.

old git 01-04-2011 08:06 AM

Bill,

Good to see you back on line again.

We are having our own problems with the weather here in UK, actual snow falls and traffic stoppages of rail, air and road.

I would just take to my bed but for the fact that the gas central heating has failed.

I tried to go out on my mobility scooter but with a front wheel drive three wheel scooter ice, snow and mud results in no traction or steering.

Waco No. 14 - - - -old git.

Jacque 01-04-2011 08:33 AM

Red pay close attn. to your Ign. Batt. that system eats them up pretty fast. Most of the club members switched to C H Ign.

redbiscuits 01-04-2011 10:56 AM

I thought that was the G-20 that did that not the DLE20?

Jacque 01-04-2011 11:36 AM

Red both are hard on Batt. The dle not quite as bad as the G 20. we have dle 30 -55 and they all seem to be Batt. eaters

SuperCub Man 01-04-2011 12:22 PM

Odd you should say that. It is well known that the Zenoah G26I (sold with ign.) does draw quite a lot compared to other ignition systems and if the same system is used with their G20, it may also do so.

As far as the RCXEL sold with the DLE30DLE55 both of which I am using, it draws very little. I tested my DLE 30 in a 22 lb. Super Cub, flying it for 10 minutes and doing stuff a Cub shouldn't do! At the end it used only 180ma. from the A123 battery I am using to power both my JR receiver and the DLE30 ignition. CH Electronics were/are selling the RCXEL module as well and although their own design may have drawn less, it was a miniscule difference. Bill felt the RCXEL module was a very good unit else he wouldn't have sold it. Also note that at the moment CH is out of business so getting their excellent module is a little problematic.

Don't be afraid of the DLE 20, if it will have enough power. I use a G23 in mine and I could use a little more although it flys OK. The DLE 30 is a little too long for the 1/5 scale WMF. I thought of swapping out the G23 for the DLE 30 but it would push the cowl out another 1/2" to 3/4" which wouldn't look very good. My WMF is "heavily" scaled up so probably a normally built WMF would work good with the DLE20 as this new motor puts out a terrific amount of power! Check the net for comments in this forum about the DLE20. Lots of happy campers!

scubajohn 01-04-2011 01:10 PM

hi cub man
i am getting back into the hobby aftter a a long while and there are lots of new engines to choose from i will probly going with a os 160 twin.i saw what you saidabout the dle 30 being tolongif planed from the start could the fire wall be recesed tokeep the prop at the corect position and would the wight and power beok? and can the dle be mounted inverted? some xtra power would be nice but dont want to go overboard

ORIGINAL: SuperCub Man

Odd you should say that. It is well known that the Zenoah G26I (sold with ign.) does draw quite a lot compared to other ignition systems and if the same system is used with their G20, it may also do so.

As far as the RCXEL sold with the DLE30DLE55 both of which I am using, it draws very little. I tested my DLE 30 in a 22 lb. Super Cub, flying it for 10 minutes and doing stuff a Cub shouldn't do! At the end it used only 180ma. from the A123 battery I am using to power both my JR receiver and the DLE30 ignition. CH Electronics were/are selling the RCXEL module as well and although their own design may have drawn less, it was a miniscule difference. Bill felt the RCXEL module was a very good unit else he wouldn't have sold it. Also note that at the moment CH is out of business so getting their excellent module is a little problematic.

Don't be afraid of the DLE 20, if it will have enough power. I use a G23 in mine and I could use a little more although it flys OK. The DLE 30 is a little too long for the 1/5 scale WMF. I thought of swapping out the G23 for the DLE 30 but it would push the cowl out another 1/2" to 3/4" which wouldn't look very good. My WMF is "heavily" scaled up so probably a normally built WMF would work good with the DLE20 as this new motor puts out a terrific amount of power! Check the net for comments in this forum about the DLE20. Lots of happy campers!

scubajohn 01-04-2011 01:13 PM

hi cub man
i am getting back into the hobby aftter a a long while and there are lots of new engines to choose from i will probly going with a os 160 twin.i saw what you saidabout the dle 30 being tolongif planed from the start could the fire wall be recesed tokeep the prop at the corect position and would the wight and power beok? and can the dle be mounted inverted? some xtra power would be nice but dont want to go overboard

ORIGINAL: SuperCub Man

Stickbuilder 01-04-2011 01:21 PM

John,

As far as recessing the firewall goes, the answer is a qualified Yes. You can recess the firewall and have the boot cowl mounted to the firewall if you wish. You just need to establish your forward fuselage terminus, and build the model around what you need. I have done many modifications on the dirty bird Waco, and Most of them are so far, rewarding. There are a couple that I think was a waste of effort for the minor gain that was made by the mod.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

SuperCub Man 01-04-2011 03:04 PM

Yes I guess I mis-spoke there and Bill is right! It's been two years since I built it and I forgot!! (Senior thingy) I actually did some adjustments for the G23 myself! However, the DLE30 has a rear-mounted carb, which is why it is longer, but that makes it great for cowl mounting. The early DLE30 had a side mounted carb but the current one has the rear mount. I bought the early version and wasn't happy until I converted it to the rear carb version. When I thought of swapping it out my plane was already built so adjustments to the firewall were out!

So this makes the installation of the DLE30 a little problematic as you must plan for the air to easily reach the carb. 3/4" clearance is sufficient and with the substantial firewall in this model, that shouldn't be too difficult.

Here's a little tip. I downloaded the side view and top view drawings of the motor and printed them out to full size scale. Not hard to do since they have the dimensions printed on them - just increase the % size in your printer program. If you can't find them I can post them here. (If you'd find it easier PM me and I'll send them to your E-mail address.) Then placing these over the plans you can accuraterly determine the adjustments to the firewall and tell how much cowl you'll have to remove. I do this for most of the motors I'm selecting for a model - where possible.
Cheers

scubajohn 01-04-2011 04:40 PM

thanks everyone for helping with my engine choice i am down to 2 choices 

the OS 160 t f nice sound for the nice sound scale loving me  38 oz's 2HP

or the dle 30 for the power loving kid in me  34 oz's  3.7 HP

thanks for all the help  

Stickbuilder 01-04-2011 06:35 PM

If you are going to use the OS twin, I'd recommend using a glow driver, and adjust it so that it comes on at 25% throttle and below. If you drop a cylinder, the engine does not have sufficient power to keep the airplane under control. This engine is notorious for dropping the left cylinder at low throttle. Keep in mind that this engine with the glow driver will cost about one thousand dollars. Considering that, I really would rather use the gasser, even if the twin does have a better sound. The gasser is just that much more reliable, and the cost of operation is virtually nil. The DLE with the rear carb will be easy to make the mod to use too. Go for it.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

SuperCub Man 01-05-2011 07:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the specs on the DLE30. Print them out to the % shown - which worked for me. Check with a ruler!! Lay over the plans to show what adjustments needed during your construction.

skylarkmk1 01-05-2011 09:40 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Another gas engine that is about the same size as the DLE is the Syssa 180HP (30cc). It is American made, light weight (38.18 w/
CDI and Mount) and comes with a Pitts style muffler and your choice of standoff length. More info can be found on the Syssa thread http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_88..._1/key_/tm.htm and on the Syssa site http://www.syssaaircraft.net/index.html . You may read that there were some long waits in the beginning to get the engine but that seems to be in the past. Any service problems have been quickly taken care of. It seems to be a very high quality engine. Initially it may cost more but by the time you add standoffs and a Pitts syle muffler for the DLE, the cost is about equal. I have no personnal expireance with the engine, just giving an alternate choice.

Jim Henley 01-05-2011 03:05 PM

John, I've been looking at the Syssa as a replacement engine for my Super Stearman. ( Glow engine self destructed) I have read many positive reviews, and agree with you, that it appears a great engine for the 1/5 WACO.

airplanegeek 01-05-2011 05:23 PM

I personally just love that four stroke sound - how about a saito gasser?

Stickbuilder 01-05-2011 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: Jim Henley

John, I've been looking at the Syssa as a replacement engine for my Super Stearman. ( Glow engine self destructed) I have read many positive reviews, and agree with you, that it appears a great engine for the 1/5 WACO.
I took a really close look at the Syssa 30 for my Ryan ST-A, but decided that this engine was a tad small for the model. I'm going to use the ZDZ 40 RERI due to the power, size and narrowness of the rear intake, rear exhaust degign. This is a fairly large model, with tons of drag.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

vasek 01-06-2011 03:36 AM

Has anybody flown the 1/5 Waco on ST G2300 ?

snowball 01-06-2011 05:18 AM

Hey Guys...for my money the g26 is the engine for this airplane.Reliability,starts every time and runs the same every time.You can fly at half throttle all day and plenty left over.Thats my 2 cents worth on the subject.

lazyace 01-06-2011 06:09 AM

I concur very good combo

Stickbuilder 01-06-2011 06:52 AM

Closest I've done to The G series Supertigre is flying one with a Maloney 125. It would fly, but absolutely no aerobatics. Not even a loop or roll.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

chuck l 01-06-2011 08:17 AM

I see my last post didn't get posted. Anyway, what twin cylinder engine would work with a 1/4 Waco. I prefer gas, but I haven't found any yet. BTW, a radial engine is too much for my budget.

Chuck

Stickbuilder 01-06-2011 02:43 PM

ORIGINAL: chuck l

I see my last post didn't get posted. Anyway, what twin cylinder engine would work with a 1/4 Waco. I prefer gas, but I haven't found any yet. BTW, a radial engine is too much for my budget.

Chuck
Chuck, maybe the OS 300 twin, or one of the 56cc gas twins would fit. The 27% that I'm doing was designed around the Zenoah GT 80 twin. That was one reason for the size of the model. The 80 fits within the cowl.

Bill, Waco Brother #1