RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

Jim Henley 01-16-2011 09:08 AM

RE: WACO YMF

Thanks Gary, it sure fits intot the cowl nicely

Jim Henley 01-16-2011 09:14 AM

John, Pica, the makers of the kit have been out of business for some time. The brotherhood has made the plans and part templates available from the AMA plans service, so the plane can be scratch built. Dan Hudson has a 1/5 that he scratch built and could give you some advice, I am sure there are others who have scratch built the plane as well. If you have a money burning a hole in your pocket, check E-Bay, the Pica kits come up for sale occasionally. If you start back a the beginning of the thead you will find many posts with helpfull information, and if you hit a snag, someone here has encoutered the problem and has suggestions to help you resolve it.

JRM23 01-16-2011 09:27 AM

Jim,<div>
</div><div>Thank you for the information and I will order the plans from AMA. I do not have money burning a hole in my pocket, but it is a very nice looking plane that I would like to have in my collection.</div><div>
</div><div>John</div>

skylarkmk1 01-16-2011 09:35 AM

John,

No one is making a Waco Kit at this time. Rumor has is that Great Planes is going to bring out an ARF this spring in 1/5th scale but you would need to check with them. There is mention of it here on RCU http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10207856/tm.htm

The other alternative is to cut your own kit from plans. It is more work but you also get the satisfaction of knowing you built it from a set of plans and a few planks of wood. Listed below are some plans I have found. Not all are the YMF; Waco made a bunch of different models. I have a list of larger plans as well and they could be scaled down in size.

Unfortunately, Pica went out of business back in the 1990s. The AMA http://modelaircraft.org/plans.asp has the Pica plans and also the templates for all the formers, ribs and other parts. It is plan # 35406 and be sure to ask for the templates as well.

AMA also has a 1/6th scale 70” Waco ARE (cabin model) by Dario Brisighella Sr # 50153

Norm Rosenstock [email protected] has 2 sizes of the Waco YKS, 1/5th at 74” and ¼ scale at 99.75”

Flying Models http://www.flying-models.com/ has a Waco CSO, plan # cf 701 at 62” (1/6th) by Dick Watz. They can be enlaged to 1/5th easily (about 72”).

Kit Cutters http://www.kitcutters.com/ has the Waco 10 at 73” (1/5th scale). This is probably the closest to a kit you will find.

Also see the House of Moy site http://www.houseofmoy.com/waco/ it is a supplemental site for this thread on the Pica YMF 3-5 (Revised Manual - Short Version, PDF Plans and other info) and has the complete list of Plans and other resource info. (sorry I haven't updated the list in a while)

JRM23 01-16-2011 11:41 AM

John,<div>
</div><div>Thank you for your information and your help and I will order the Pica plans and the temples.</div><div>
</div><div>John</div>

mrdhud 01-16-2011 02:16 PM

Dave

Welcome to the Brotherhood. I think I met you at Monster plane. Were you flying the big Space Walker?

John,

Make sure you ask for the temples when you order your plans from AMA. This was my first scratch build and with all the information & help from the Brotherhood I was able to build mine and couldn’t be prouder. Here’s a link to the maiden flight I was to nerves to fly her myself so I got Dave to fly her for me. I’m the short one LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HAmqDUQO6c

Gary,

Your Waco looks great!!

JRM23 01-16-2011 02:39 PM

Dan, <div>
</div><div>I just watched the video and your plane looks very nice. I will also order the temples with my plans, from AMA tomorrow or Tuesday. This will be very interesting as I have built kits but have never built a plane from just a stack of wood, now the pressure is on.</div><div>
</div><div>John</div>

mogman 01-16-2011 03:46 PM

ORIGINAL: mrdhud

Dave

Welcome to the Brotherhood. I think I met you at Monster plane. Were you flying the big Space Walker?

John,

Yep, that was me. Thanks for the welcome. I met a lot of great people at M/Planes, and with my mind in the shape that it's in, I've promptly forgotten who they were!
Hopefully we'll meet again.

Cheers,
Dave.

W/B #180

williec30 01-16-2011 04:01 PM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder
Are you talking about the pinned hinges? If so, there is no reason to undo anything. They will be just fine.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
So as Idig into this further, I've noticed there were no frames built that would provide extra support where the hinges would be attached... or is glueing the hinges to covering enough?

While we are on the tail topic... I can only assume that tail wires, when installed properly, would be attached to framed wood and not just the skeleton?

You will pardon the line of questions, I would love to find this on my own but the search feature doesn't seem to be working in this thred.

Jim Henley 01-16-2011 04:58 PM

John, I agree, the WACO YMF is a beautiful aircraft. Sorry I forgot to mention that you have to specify to the AMA when you order the plans that you also want the templates. Dan or perhaps Stickbuilder (Bill) can give you some advise on which stock to use as the PICA
kit uses stock with some odd or hard to find dimensions. There are suggestions for modifications to the wing spars and how to modify the fuselage to install the fuel tank from the back. This would be necessary if you run a gas engine. The modifications are not too hard and would be even easier when you are cutting the parts rather than trying to modify one that is partially built (which is what I am doing) If you have any questions the brotherhood can assist you.

JRM23 01-16-2011 05:22 PM

Jim and all of the Waco Brotherhood and all the other that having me great advise,<div>
</div><div>I really do thank you for all of the help, even though this is the hard part. The hard part is to build it, to where it looks as good as the ones that all of you build. I really think that I have my work cut out for me, lol.</div><div>
</div><div>John</div>

airplanegeek 01-16-2011 05:25 PM

15 hours later I am back were I started[:@]

Stickbuilder 01-16-2011 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: williec30

So as I dig into this further, I've noticed there were no frames built that would provide extra support where the hinges would be attached... or is glueing the hinges to covering enough?

While we are on the tail topic... I can only assume that tail wires, when installed properly, would be attached to framed wood and not just the skeleton?

You will pardon the line of questions, I would love to find this on my own but the search feature doesn't seem to be working in this thred.

There is a wood framework for the horizontal stab and the elevator. The same applies for the vertical stab and the rudder. You are going to need to cut slots into this framework to allow the hinges to be attached properly. Do not glue them to the covering. Te tail wires will need to be attached to the framework as well. Look at some of the photos of other Wacos here and you can see where they go. Find someone who is familiar with building in your local area, and get them to show you how to mount the hinges.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

williec30 01-17-2011 06:43 AM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder
Look at some of the photos of other Wacos here and you can see where they go. Find someone who is familiar with building in your local area, and get them to show you how to mount the hinges.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Thanks Bill, I will do both of the above.

Iam still unable to search this thread with the 'search thread' function. Is anyone else having that problem?

skylarkmk1 01-17-2011 07:29 AM

williec30,

Go to page 1 the is a partial index there that may help. If you can't find it there, post what you are looking for and someone will have the answer. I too have found the RCU search engine a bit difficult to use.

SuperCub Man 01-17-2011 07:32 AM

Here are a couple of pix on how I did this. Note that I used Robarts hinges and just glued extra balsa strips on each side of the core at the hinge location to give support to the hinges. I mounted the tail wire supports into the frame on the stab and fin as shown on the completed tail section. I used dowels in the frame to make "hard points" and then drilled them out for the 4-40 bolts. This gave strength to the thin frame section for mounting the wires.

Whatever hinges you use you can reinforce the core with extra balsa. Just make sure you sand the reinforcements down thinner than the sides so they doesn't show a ridge on the subsequent covering.

Hope this helps. By the way you can refer to the "Index" shown way back on Page 1. Although it hasn't been updated for a while, it refers to many of the earlier postings which have a terrific amount of information.

SuperCub Man 01-17-2011 07:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Getting all discombobuilated here - Will try to Upload again ! Sorry!!!

williec30 01-17-2011 07:49 AM

ORIGINAL: SuperCub Man

Here are a couple of pix on how I did this.
never mind... i see them now, cached browser problem.

Garthwood 01-17-2011 07:52 AM

WILLIE.................here's a picture of my WACO 1:6 tail wire, hope this will help. I used wire/clevis combination.

williec30 01-17-2011 08:39 AM

ORIGINAL: Garthwood

WILLIE.................here's a picture of my WACO 1:6 tail wire, hope this will help. I used wire/clevis combination.

i am i missing the pictures again? ;)

Garthwood 01-17-2011 10:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: williec30

ORIGINAL: Garthwood

i am i missing the pictures again? ;)

I'll try again...........server taking too long to upload. Seems that it uploaded this time. The second picture is not a close up, but gives a general idea.

Charles.

Garthwood 01-17-2011 10:26 AM

Supercub..................Nice work mate !

Charles.

WacoNut 01-17-2011 02:59 PM

I have to say I never get tired of looking at Waco's.
Anthony

SuperCub Man 01-17-2011 08:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Willie - Here are the pics I mentioned. Not very good but did them in a hurry. Hope they help!

Regards

mrdhud 01-19-2011 09:25 AM

SuperCub Man

Jim how’s your Daily News Waco coming along? Sure like to see some pics.