RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

williec30 01-19-2011 11:58 AM

RE: WACO YMF

can someone point me to a picture in this thread (or attach one) of the tail wheel spring attached to the rudder. what needs to be done on the rudder to attach the spring? or am i missing something in the plans that specifies the connection...<div>
</div><div>my head is still spinning from hitting the 'next page' button through this thread.</div>

Stickbuilder 01-19-2011 03:10 PM

Willie,

If you built it from the plans, then there is no spring connecting the tail wheel to the rudder. The tail wheel wire runs up through the plastic mount, and then has a 90 degree bend so that it can be installed into the rudder framework. This is the worst possible way to mount and drive the tail wheel, plus it puts the tail wheel in a non scale location. Since your model appears to be built already, I'd recommend buying a commercial tail wheel assembly and use the hardware that comes with it to drive the tail wheel. If you want to do it right, look at the index on the first page and have a look.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

airplanegeek 01-19-2011 03:30 PM

i slaved the tail wheel off of the rudder using a seperate control horn. See the picture on pg 466. That was my solution - I know there are many more really good ways to make it work.

SuperCub Man 01-19-2011 09:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi Dan - I've got quite a bit done on the ARE. Slowed down a bit over the summer and fall and lately I've been into a Computer Repair mode! ... Don't ask!

I'll get some update photos in a day or so along with some details. Here's my tail wheel. Worked out kinda good using a shock off an RC car. The fuse as of last summer. Have finished the wing sheeting and most of the fuse!

williec30 01-20-2011 06:31 AM

once again, thank you very much for the info. i appreciate it more than you know ;)

ORIGINAL: airplanegeek

i slaved the tail wheel off of the rudder using a seperate control horn. See the picture on pg 466. That was my solution - I know there are many more really good ways to make it work.
wow, very nicely done. i will play around with some of these ideas, unfortunately stickbuilder is right, this plane was already built when i acquired it.

<br type="_moz" />

airplanegeek 01-20-2011 03:32 PM

ok waco builders I have a question or more like a poll.

How long did it take you to build your waco assuming you were building the kit and doing mild modifications to it? I am NOT asking hours, I am asking elapsed time.

Personally I am on year three! and I feel kind of miserable about it but its better then the five years it took to build my skybolt! Help me feel better about my progress - or there lack of.

Stickbuilder 01-20-2011 03:53 PM

ORIGINAL: airplanegeek

ok waco builders I have a question or more like a poll.

How long did it take you to build your waco assuming you were building the kit and doing mild modifications to it? I am NOT asking hours, I am asking elapsed time.

Personally I am on year three! and I feel kind of miserable about it but its better then the five years it took to build my skybolt! Help me feel better about my progress - or there lack of.
I'm into the 4th year on the dirty bird Waco, and no end in sight. Of course, the modifications are not what you would call mild.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

rc_wings 01-20-2011 03:53 PM

Don't feel bad....it took me 12 years to complete a 1/5 scale Sukhoi. Few other project in between, but that is how long that one stretched out to. Was all well worth the effort once it did fly!

mrdhud 01-20-2011 05:06 PM

Little over three years for me

SuperCub Man

Jim, Your tail wheel looks first class but computer work?? LOL. Wish you were closer I just lost my computer man.

Bill,

I was able to play with the carb on the Waco today and got her running good again if the weather is good I’ll fly her this Sunday:)

I was on you tube looking at flying videos and came across this one. Pay attention to what’s on the bottom shelf of the bench.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAVMJ...eature=related

Stickbuilder 01-20-2011 08:37 PM

Dan,

Yep, that's a fire bottle.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Stickbuilder 01-23-2011 06:30 AM

Dan, are you going flying today? We are due for some more snow this afternoon, and again in the morning. Yuck! I left the Sunshine State for this crap?

Bill, Waco Brother #1

WacoNut 01-23-2011 08:15 AM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Dan, are you going flying today? We are due for some more snow this afternoon, and again in the morning. Yuck! I left the Sunshine State for this crap?

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Bill it's karma,
You used to rub all that warm weather in our face.
Anthony

Garthwood 01-23-2011 08:50 AM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Big mistake mate ! Should have stayed there. To-day it's minus 12 C North of you. And "NO" the snow you're getting is not from Canada.

Charles.

Stickbuilder 01-23-2011 10:21 AM

I don't even own a snow shovel. When I moved to Florida, I tied a snow shovel to the front of the Volvo and drove South until someone asked me what that thing on the front of the car was.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

nine o nine 01-23-2011 10:31 AM

payback is a beatch Bill

mrdhud 01-23-2011 11:53 AM

Bill,

I did go out to the field for a wile this morning. There were about a dozen guys all standing on the south side of the building staying out of the north wind LOL. No one was flying including me. You guys in the north are going to think I’m nuts but the temp was in the mid 50s and about 10 mph winds about one hour and I went back home and got a cup off hot coffee and cleaned up the shop.

WacoNut 01-23-2011 12:52 PM

Dan if it hit 50 here in Ohio we would be running around it T-shirts, it was -6 at day break yesterday. I am getting tired of looking at all the white crap everywhere.
Anthony

Garthwood 01-23-2011 01:53 PM

Hi Bill................The last couple of years I've been using Great Planes 30 Min Pro Epoxy and I'm quite disappointed with the Resin part that is hardening in the bottom. Is anybody finding this same problem ? I end up having to heat it, which is quite annoying. The hardner part is OK, so it's not a storage issue. Even at store level I noticed that the Resin started to gel in the bottom. I'm looking for another product, any recommendations ?
The storage environment is 38% RH @ 20 Celsius (68 % F)
I hope I'm not opening a can of worms here. But I'm getting quite annoyed with this product. The local hobby store won't take it back.

Charles.

Jim Henley 01-23-2011 01:54 PM

Yep, had 8 inches last night on top of what we already had. I have been trying to post some pictures of the 1/5 scale but the upload never happens, anyone else having issues with the site?

amscat 01-23-2011 01:57 PM

Charles,

Had the same thing happen, and have since gone back to the Devcon 2 Ton. Skycraft and Fields in Buffalo still carry it.

Garthwood 01-23-2011 02:05 PM

ORIGINAL: amscat

Charles,

Had the same thing happen, and have since gone back to the Devcon 2 Ton. Skycraft and Fields in Buffalo still carry it.
Thanks Andy.........I'll keep that in mind. I bought this last one about a month ago, still 3/4 full, it's going in the recyling bin.

Stickbuilder 01-23-2011 04:11 PM

I bought some 30 minute epoxy a few weeks before we moved, and upon opening it and attempting to use it, the stuff was very gritty when squeezing it out of the bottle. The hardener was normal. The bottom portion of the epoxy in the bottle was like a gel too. It may be that we got some of the same run of product. I bought some devcon epoxy at one of the big box stores, and used it without an issue.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Stickbuilder 01-23-2011 04:12 PM

ORIGINAL: Jim Henley

Yep, had 8 inches last night on top of what we already had. I have been trying to post some pictures of the 1/5 scale but the upload never happens, anyone else having issues with the site?
Jim, if you will email the photos to me, I'll be happy to post them for you. [email protected]

Bill, Waco Brother #1

airplanegeek 01-23-2011 04:47 PM

i have tower hobbies 30 min epoxy that has developed the same issue- I just assumed its past its useful shelf life, which begs the question - what is the shelf life for this stuff?

Stickbuilder 01-23-2011 05:55 PM

Don't know the shelf life, but you can bet your butt that Tower and Great Planes is the same stuff. It looks as if we are past the expiration date with ours.

Bill, Waco Brother #1