RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

Stickbuilder 02-04-2007 04:57 PM

RE: WACO YMF

Is anyone from the Brotherhood going to try to make it to TopGun this year? It is in early May, in Lakeland Florida. I will be there, and would love to get to meet some (or all) of you in person. I will be there every day, so if you can make it. I would sure like to know about it. There is normally a really good WACO in attendance and hopefully this year will be no different. I wonder if Charlie Nelson will be there this year...He should be about due for a new one. If you have never attended TopGun, you don't know what you are missing. You can learn more about scale techinque there in one hour than you can learn in a year anywhere else.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Stickbuilder 02-04-2007 05:00 PM

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

If anyone has a copy of the build manuals for the Pica WACOs (both the 1/6th and 1/5th) and the Cox/Pica ARF WACOs (both sizes), it would be nice to have them in PDF format for download posted here or at least be able to get a copy from someone. This is a collective effort in resurrecting this classic model and all info is appreciated.

If you do have a copy of any of the build manuals, especially the Pica, send me a PM or e-mail and I will make them available to all. If anyone has any corrections to the manuals, again let me know and I will include them with the manual (s) when I get them. Thanks
I have manuals for all the 1/5th scale kits that I have. I will be posting one for everyone to print.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

damifino 02-04-2007 05:29 PM

STICKBUILDER- I know you are covered up. When you have time how about posting an overview of your tips, mods, improvements to the PICA 1/5 WACO? Especially helpful are those things that will apply to us scratch building these birds who have had no experience with the kit.

I know we are getting closer and closer, a small step at a time, to making this thing a 'virtual kit', so the more people we have building it, the larger the pool of knowledge. Patterns will be refined, hardware will be (is) available, and before we know it there'll be a WACO in every shop. :) Well, you know what I mean.....

By the way, I made a wing alignment fixture from .060 aluminum which I would like to make available as a laser cut item. Will probably be easier to use than a pasteboard one. What do you think, Brothers? STICKBUILDER will have, in a few days, stainless steel replacements for the plastic 'L' brackets that came in the PICA kits for cowl mounts, etc. If they work OK they too will be available.

skylarkmk1 02-04-2007 06:06 PM

Bill,

Al sent me a copy of the Cox 1/5 PFD. Now to see if I can get it posted for the rest (suggestions anyone?). If you need your notes, mods, hints, etc. typed up and incorporated into one manual, let me know.

pimmnz 02-04-2007 11:02 PM

If you use a good laminated outline as suggested and spars at the tailplane/elevator join line then you could use 1/16 sheet for the core, you just need to end up at the original thickness when sanded to section.
Evan, WB#12.

Jacque 02-05-2007 07:33 AM

That will be great Bill I have an exellant set of plans ,but my manual just turned brown and fell apart

Botherhood#27

damifino 02-05-2007 08:51 AM

PIMMNZ & STICKBUILDER- Thanks, I know how to proceed now, and with less work!

STICKBUILDER- I have an idea about your wish to make the top wing incidence easier to do and adjustable. Hope to make a couple of pieces soon. Later, DAMIFINO

skylarkmk1 02-05-2007 01:29 PM

I have been reading the thread on RC Scale Builder (Under Kits, Pica, WACO (second page) started by Puff Daddy). On page 30 (or so) there is an illistrated step by step on making the "N" Struts and Cabain struts from streamlined aluminum tubing with brazed joints. Looks easy enough and the aluminum brazing rod can be found at a welding supply (like Praxair in the St Louis area). I tried it on some .062 flat sheet stock, just butting the edges together and could not break the joint (bent the metal on one side). Had to get a chisel to seperate the pieces. I have not tried the tubing yet. Check it out.

Stickbuilder 02-05-2007 10:21 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Say no more....Here's the manual (such as it is)

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Stickbuilder 02-05-2007 10:24 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the rest

Stickbuilder 02-05-2007 10:30 PM

Okay, The wing parts and the manual are going out to ChrisMH. He will work with them, and put them on the website. I still have the Cabanes and the Landing gear to do. I'm Tired.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

damifino 02-05-2007 11:20 PM

Is page 2 missing or is it the parts identification sheet?

Stickbuilder 02-06-2007 05:57 AM

Page 2 is the parts Identification sheet. I had to wait until last to upload it, due to the sheer size of the file. I tried to include it with others, but I could not even add the smallest page with it. Sorry about the confusion.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Stickbuilder 02-06-2007 07:34 AM

Chris received the scans this morning. I will do the wire parts, and the hardware list, and whatever miscellaneous parts I need to do and get them out. Do you guys think that I need to list the sheeting and the sticks as well?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Edwin 02-06-2007 08:48 AM

Stickbuilder,
I would say no, but that is just me. I plan on cutting my own parts out.
Edwin

mmattockx 02-06-2007 11:25 AM

Since you there are a number of people doing much more than their share of the work to get a beautifully complete set of instructions/plans/templates together for the rest of us to enjoy, I think that when the t-shirt order gets sorted, everyone else should kick in an extra $5 or $10 to supply Bill, ChrisMH and other major contributors with at least one free shirt for their work. I am a busy guy, as are lots of others and I understand how much time it takes to do this stuff on the side, with work, family committments and life in general taking up space as well.

My thanks to all for their hard work in ensuring this classic aircraft lives on.

Mark

mobyal 02-06-2007 11:38 AM

Bill --
I plan on getting one of Mace's kits, assuming they'll be available. If not, then I'd like a listing of sticks/sheeting for my own use.
Thanks
Al

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Chris received the scans this morning. I will do the wire parts, and the hardware list, and whatever miscellaneous parts I need to do and get them out. Do you guys think that I need to list the sheeting and the sticks as well?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

HarryJ 02-06-2007 03:39 PM

To all that have plans, instruction manuals, and/or cowls coming, they were mailed Monday morning via Priority Mail. Sorry I didn't get them out sooner but automated Post Office will not accept long tubes. Everything should be delivered by Wednesday at the latest.

Stickbuilder 02-06-2007 06:28 PM

ORIGINAL: HarryJ

To all that have plans, instruction manuals, and/or cowls coming, they were mailed Monday morning via Priority Mail. Sorry I didn't get them out sooner but automated Post Office will not accept long tubes. Everything should be delivered by Wednesday at the latest.
Harry,

The Cowl arrived yesterday, along with the blisters, and in beautiful condition I might add.

Thanks,

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Stickbuilder 02-06-2007 06:31 PM

Al,

I still need to get with Mace, and see if he will cut these kits with the templates provided. That was where we left things last year when we last spoke of doing this one. If he will, I think that it will alter the prices that these kits are bringing on e-bay. There are a lot of parts to cut though, so we'll see.
Meanwhile back, I'll do a take-off on the sticks and sheets and post them.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Stickbuilder 02-06-2007 06:37 PM

ORIGINAL: mmattockx

Since you there are a number of people doing much more than their share of the work to get a beautifully complete set of instructions/plans/templates together for the rest of us to enjoy, I think that when the t-shirt order gets sorted, everyone else should kick in an extra $5 or $10 to supply Bill, ChrisMH and other major contributors with at least one free shirt for their work. I am a busy guy, as are lots of others and I understand how much time it takes to do this stuff on the side, with work, family committments and life in general taking up space as well.

My thanks to all for their hard work in ensuring this classic aircraft lives on.

Mark
Mark,

I can only speak for myself, but I would rather buy my own shirts. I appreciate the gesture, but I and the other contributors have been doing this to preserve these wonderful old kits (problems and all). I am just glad to have some support and assistance. You guys have been great, and I don't think that I would have done the parts without so many of you guys depending on them. Use the bucks to buy the glue...(You'll need plenty of it):D.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Stickbuilder 02-06-2007 06:41 PM

damifino,

Please put me down for 2 of the shirts (we will discuss the size in a pm[:-]) Do you have an idea what the graphics will look like? How difficult would it be to add the Brotherhood number and name for each member? If price is prohibitive, then nix the idea.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Stickbuilder 02-06-2007 06:44 PM

Boy, I'm catching up on lost time here tonight.....damifino, the package arrived today (the little woman just told me on the phone...I'm still at the Dealership)...There was a problem in sending the scans to Chris, so I'll probably need to send them a page at a time. The reason is the postmaster says the post is too large. I didn't know that e-mail didn't have parcel post:D

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

AROPLANE 02-06-2007 07:03 PM

ok is there room for one more only got up to page 34 but i see that #1 is online
love aeroplanes with two wings
got a pica 1/5 waco almost finnished
and one in the box also have the ikon n'wst kit in the box
a proctor albatros d5 done and I have an albatros d3 built by dave johnson
also have a great lakes and I also have a sig j3
but for fun i'm getting ready to build my laser cutter and do a little wood burning
tom

damifino 02-06-2007 09:31 PM

I do the design in sketch form and black ink line drawing if needed, then my good friend, a graphic designer by trade, does the computer part. We then output the design on film for the screenprinter to use. It will be a couple of weeks before I have something to show. My inspiration is 1930's - '40's duo-tone or tri-tone advertising art. Screen fee and film cost runs about $37.00 per color used on a design, so as you can see, colors have to be kept to a minumum. That is not a bad thing though, and you can be assured the design and it's presentation on the shirt will be striking.

Individual names and numbers, no can do. That would require a screen and film for every member. My suggestion to those interested would be to go to an embroidery kiosk at the mall or a sporting goods store and have their name and number sewn onto the left chest of the shirt. Doesn't cost much.