RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

acerc 06-15-2011 09:51 AM

RE: WACO YMF

ERROLL, I'm using stickpins without the stick. Or at least I did on the fuel tank cover.
Think I'll use glue elsewise. Not that I'm against work but wow, what a pain.

skylarkmk1 06-15-2011 10:51 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Errol,

That is a tricky question on the exhaust diameter on the Wacos. I will guess you are talking about the round exhaust for a YMF. Both a 1934 UMF and a 1987 YMF have dual rectangular exhausts, while a 1935 UMF replica (completed in 2004) has dual round exhausts. Others have single exhausts of differing sizes (depends on engine horsepower) and others have individual exhausts for each cylinder. I do not have an answer at hand, but will get the answer this weekend when I go out to the airport. Some Examples;

P1 – 1987 YMF, rectangular exhaust
P2 – 1934 UMF, rectangular exhaust
P3 & 4, 1935 UMF replica, round exhaust
P5 – 1932 UBF, single exhaust with extension
P6 – 1932 CTO, single exhaust on a Wright Whirlwind of about 500 hp. Note the exhaust protection mounted over the flying wires.
P7& 8 – 1928 ATO, Individual “Bayonet” style exhaust

FliteMetal 06-15-2011 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: acerc Dan, that shiny silver is called flitemetal, supposed to be flexible. LOL
So far I'm not impressed. A/C tape work's just as easy at a fraction of the cost.
Interesting post...from a Flite-Metal expert with obviously "0" experience with the product. Gutter tape, aka HVAC tape
does not have the attributes which permit Flite-Metal's alloy to provide superior results while reducing the time required
to apply and finish by 80%. After 15 years I am yet to find a comparable alternative to the alloy utilized in Flite-Metal.

This is not to say you can't utilize HVAC or Gutter tape. You will simply waste at least 50% of what you apply plus all the
down time to apply it compared to the less than 1 minute required to apply Flite-Metal to the typical 5th scale panel. We
are giving away free Flite-Metal this year. Cover, compete, and win-win with a complete covering system for free.

Stickbuilder 06-15-2011 11:48 AM

ORIGINAL: Zor

ORIGINAL: n6iap

Thank you all for the kind words and yes I plan to personalize the ARF.

jimm
Hi James A. ( N6IAP ),

Are you active on 20 meters ?

If you are I will look to contact you. It is one of my favorite bands.

Zor

I asked you to get out of this thread. Why is that not good enough for you? Please do not come back.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

FliteMetal 06-15-2011 12:28 PM

Bill,

I am considering another WACO. Which do you recommend? I do not want to have to trailer a 1/3 so it will have to fit in
my Ford Expedition XL. Considering use of electric since our projects of late are taking us there at the speed of light... :)

I want to replicate another of Don Kettles WACO Classics. I did 1937 back a number of years and graceful aerobatics
are calling me again.

acerc 06-15-2011 12:43 PM

Ed Clayman,
I have 1 experience with your product. Over thirty years modeling. My opinion from one builder to another is just that. And for now I stand by that opinion, so far I am not impressed. For now I like HVAC tape better. Maybe because I have used it before and I am  use to it. Maybe in the future I will learn how to work the flitemetal and change my mind. In the future instead of hijacking someones opinion maybe one could ask why and offer some advise. 

Neil K 06-15-2011 01:00 PM

Bill (Stickbuilder), I SECOND the motion.

Neil K.
WB #142

Stickbuilder 06-15-2011 01:05 PM

ORIGINAL: FliteMetal

Bill,

I am considering another WACO. Which do you recommend? I do not want to have to trailer a 1/3 so it will have to fit in
my Ford Expedition XL. Considering use of electric since our projects of late are taking us there at the speed of light... :)

I want to replicate another of Don Kettles WACO Classics. I did 1937 back a number of years and graceful aerobatics
are calling me again.
I would think that the Great Planes ARF would make a great candidate for electric power. It is fairly light, and seems to be well constructed. It could be scaled out without adding too much weight.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Stickbuilder 06-15-2011 01:08 PM

ORIGINAL: acerc

Ed Clayman,
I have 1 experience with your product. Over thirty years modeling. My opinion from one builder to another is just that. And for now I stand by that opinion, so far I am not impressed. For now I like HVAC tape better. Maybe because I have used it before and I am use to it. Maybe in the future I will learn how to work the flitemetal and change my mind. In the future instead of hijacking someones opinion maybe one could ask why and offer some advise.

Woah!!!!!!!

What's up with this? I've used flitemetal of several warbirds, and have not had any issues with it. If you are going to go at it with Ed, please take it to the private messages. I have had nothing but great results from his product. Please step back, take a deep breath, and think about it.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

FliteMetal 06-15-2011 01:10 PM

"Dan, that shiny silver is called flitemetal, supposed to be flexible. LOL So far I'm not impressed.
A/C tape work's just as easy at a fraction of the cost."

Your post seems to me a wee more opinionated...then again I sought to address what apparently was
not appreciated in FM. Not condeming gutter tape or HVAC, as you see in my post...found the fact your
post addressed "0" differences in products that have a wide differential in use, application, and time to
apply and finish.

Anyone can express an opinion..that's their right...only be sure you are comparing and not observing
what one assumes to be this or that, equal or not.

http://www.scaleaero.com/_derived/alcoail.jpg

I am here to learn which YMF I should put my original style 3W 60 into...and found your post. I want
to build another WACO and seek this groups opinion based on personal experiences...not supposition.
I've had two 90~120 size and want something larger.

How much ballast is required in the 5th PICA or something close to its size and weight? I'm thinking the
3W 60's mass would be perfect given my previous experiences with this design.

WacoNut 06-15-2011 01:21 PM

Hi Ed,
If your into self punishment I will send you a set of Pepino plans for a 25% Waco you just pay shipping:D A real PITA build and the plans are way off base. I do have templates for the ribs I drew over.

My guess would be the 1/5 Waco would fit your needs much better.
Later!!
Anthony

acerc 06-15-2011 01:40 PM

stickbuilder, not going at it with anyone, besides already PM'ed him. And I'm not saying FliteMetal is'nt good, just what I thought the first time out.
Now I will say I tried to cover the worst thing possible the first time. A corsair 1/5 scale plastic cowl.
Since yesterday I have been practising and it's getting better. I need to order their burnishing tool's. What I use for HVAC is not going to work for flitemetal.
To sum it up,
With practice and proper tool's I think flitemetal will be a great addition to any model.

FliteMetal 06-15-2011 01:49 PM

ORIGINAL: WacoNut Hi Ed, If your into self punishment I will send you a set of Pepino plans for a 25%
Waco you just pay shipping:D A real PITA build and the plans are way off base. I do have templates for the
ribs I drew over. My guess would be the 1/5 Waco would fit your needs much better. Later!! Anthony
I'm curious in the differentials you found in Jim's planset. Obviously there must be an issue with height of the ribs.
What is the AUW of the Pepino design? I am most definately interested in your plans. What do they weigh? I can
calculate USPS and PayPal you the amount. This would be great since I can laser cut the wood easily enough. Still
would like to know the AUW anticipated and what you found to be out of bounds.

Is there a cockpit and passenger tub kit or planset? I have Weaver's documentation and can replicate but would
save tons of time if someone had something close. I am up to my neck in a pair of B-47 E IV's and two Northrop-
Grumman B-2's and want to build the WACO out as an all around relaxing flyer. Love the way they simply lay into
the maneuvers without having to be thrown into them.

I am looking for the cowl ring, pants, and fairings for my Effinger WACO D. The molds were sold to someone out
there...who has not brought product to market. Since I sell all Bill's scale designs we have been looking for what
I intended as a poster child for our product line. If anyone knows who has the D/S molds for the ring, pants and
the fairings I would appreciate you pointing me in the right direction.

We have now recovered most of the molds for the balance of the Effinger designs...no small feat considering they
have passed through two hands suffering from severe health issues. Wonder they were not spread across some
landfill somewhere.

WacoNut 06-15-2011 02:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ed,
The Pepino plans have more issues than you can shake a stick at. The top view of the fuse is not straight, all the wing panels have a different span and spar spacing. The rib shape is totally wrong(I drew new ribs) The tail feathers are not symetrical from right to left. Also the stringer location is wrong in ALL the fuse formers. Not sure how much the plans would weigh, there are several sheets. I think they should be able to be shipped rolled for around $12 anywhere in the US just my guess.
I can honestly say if you want a 1/4 scale Waco you would be much better off buying a Barth Kit. I used Peter Barth's fiberglass parts on my Waco and the quality is excellent. I know I have more $$$ invested in my Waco than I would have if I just built the plane from a Barth kit and I would have saved alot of headaches in the process.

There are not any available cockpit kits that I know of. I made my own seats and panels.

If you really want these plans I will dig them out. I would not wish this on my worst enemy;) I have not flown the plane yet. I still need to finish the radio installation and add the batteries. I have built and flown 2 more build since this one and just can't seem to go back to it and finish it off. After spending over 900hrs on the thing I guess I should fly it.
Later!!
Anthony

aminiet 06-15-2011 02:36 PM

Ed.

I do have Effinger designs plans for the D model for my next project. In looking at pictures of the real aircraft N 14048 it seems to me the lower wing as drawn in the plans is lower than the fuselage outline. Is that how you see it ?

Where are you in Houston ? I am practically next door to Intercontinental Airport.

Angel

mrdhud 06-15-2011 02:45 PM

All,

Just finished taking the wings off the Waco and readjusting the tail wheel should track better on the ground now. Plan on taking her out in the morning before the wind pick up.

Robert,

Perhaps that was a better choice of words
With practice and proper tool's I think flitemetal will be a great addition to any model.

mrdhud 06-15-2011 02:57 PM

Anthony,

To look at your ¼ Waco it’s hard to imagine you had all those problems have you maiden her yet?

Have a question for any one using A123 batteries is there such a switch that can be used and have both wires plugged in to it?

FliteMetal 06-15-2011 03:12 PM

ORIGINAL: mrdhud Anthony, To look at your ¼ Waco it’s hard to imagine you had all those problems have you maiden her yet?
Have a question for any one using A123 batteries is there such a switch that can be used and have both wires plugged in to it?
An

Dan,

Any six and above pole Noble switch will permit you to switch both leads.

Ed

FliteMetal 06-15-2011 03:19 PM

Anthony,

I'll check the Barth kit out in a minute and get back to you. I assume if the Pepino design was constructed down
the centerline on the same side for both top and bottom wings it would not be such an issue...perhaps wishful
thinking ... :^) Be back in a little while.

As for the WACO D, its no different than any planset drawn pre-CAD. In the case of the D the horiz stab is high
in the fin vs the S which is lower. Always utilize photo documentaiton as a tie breaker. I have large D images if
you want them...send me an email direct to [email protected] and I will send them to you.

We are editing the D to square up the hand drawn cut outs, etc. Conversion is amazingly fast Bob Leserve has
it down to a science. I have the original Weaver drawings and sketches for the D/S and will send them if you
send an email to [email protected] .

acerc 06-15-2011 03:41 PM

Dan, much better choice of word's. Sometime's we ( me alot more than most ) say thing's without thinking. My apologie's.
The funny thing is I want to cover my corsair with flitemetal, and the cowl is a nice fiberglassone that's not getting covered with it.
I've did several practice run's with the covering on normal section's of the fuse and wing'sand it work's great.

See ya in the morning.

FliteMetal 06-15-2011 03:47 PM

Looks like the 1/4 scale Barth is the way to go..... :^) I am at 3.66 c.i. and think it best to go with something dead on
with respect to cut tolerence. Reading the Proctor web description showed glass cowl, turtle deck, pants and fairing on
the 1/3 scale...then fails to ditto the same on the 1/4 scale.... ? ? ? ? Can someone fill in the blanks :^)

I've judged Mike Barbee's 1/3 at Toledo, NATs, and USSMA. I always thought it a wee bit heavy handed. In 1/4 scale
all that should go away with my 3W.

Thanks, I'll pass on Pepino's plans. Believe the cure for Jim's plan would be to simply fold it in half and build it mirror'd.
From the sounds of it Jim was on and off drawing the plans three sessions spaced too long apart. Did Ann ever sell all
her documentation and plansets?

We're reworking the Effinger designs one at a time to bring them into the 21st Century. Adding addendum sheets as we
leave the original plans alone. You would be surprised the number of people who want things just as Bill drew them back
in the day.

WacoNut 06-15-2011 03:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ed,
There are a couple Barth kits being built by Waco Brothers so maybe they can speak up about the parts. I believe they are full of the same features as the 33% version.

When I built the Pepino I picked a top and bottom panel and mirrored it as well as the tail feathers. If that was the only issue it wouldn't have been too bad. I did buy my plans from Mrs Pepino but I did hear she sold the rights to all the plans since then.

Peter Barth also stops in here from time to time he goes my FMBB on RCU, I am sure he will answer your questions as well.

I also have a 33% Waco and it is a beast, 3W-157 for power. The plane fly's very well and looks impressive in the air. It can be a chore to haul around. I bought a 12ft trailer just to haul the Waco.

Here is a pic of Bob Wagner with my Waco, he owns the full scale version that I modeled mine after. He was nice enough to give the wife and I a ride in a new Waco Classic YMF-5D last fall.
Later!!
Anthony

mrdhud 06-15-2011 05:05 PM

Ed,

I did a search for a noble switch with no luck guess I’m not that good searching. Can you lead me to a web sight I can order one?
Thanks

FliteMetal 06-15-2011 05:08 PM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

ORIGINAL: FliteMetal Bill, I am considering another WACO. Which do
you recommend? I do not want to have to trailer a 1/3 so it will have to fit in my Ford Expedition XL. Considering
use of electric since our projects of late are taking us there at the speed of light... :) I want to replicate another
of Don Kettles WACO Classics. I did 1937 back a number of years and graceful aerobatics are calling me again.
I would think that the Great Planes ARF would make a great candidate for electric power. It is fairly light, and
seems to be well constructed. It could be scaled out without adding too much weight. Bill, Waco Brother #1
Thanks, I saw that last week but didn't take time to read the details. Will check it out. I like the 1/4 Barth and seems
to be a perfect fit for my 3.66 c.i. 3W.

FliteMetal 06-15-2011 05:14 PM

ORIGINAL: mrdhud Ed, I did a search for a noble switch with no luck guess I’m not that good searching. Can you lead me to a web sight I can order one?
Thanks
Contact your nearest electronics component level supply. Should be able to buy a multiple pole, two position slide switch from Hobby Lobby in Franklin, Tennessee.