RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

acerc 06-24-2011 10:48 AM

RE: WACO YMF

Mitch, It will be in the mail tomorrow.

acerc 06-24-2011 10:51 AM

cdbarker, find a print/ sign shop that will make you some templates.

acerc 06-24-2011 11:06 AM

Question, what would be a good method to straighten this wire.

rccrasher65 06-24-2011 11:14 AM

Gentleman, I looked all day for Peter Barth 1/4 scaleWACOYMF plan set , no luck. Well I guess I"LL just have to settle with the AMA plans service 1/5 scale plans. Thanks for all your help anyway, I would also like to request to become a member of the Brotherhood. Thanks, and happy building. George

Zor 06-24-2011 11:50 AM

ORIGINAL: acerc

Question, what would be a good method to straighten this wire.
Hi acerc,

For my flying wires on the wings and tail of my plane I had some stainless steel wire 0.043 inch diameter which was all coiled in circles about 6 inch diameter.

I grapbbed one end in my workbench vise and grabbed the other end with 10 inch visegrips.

Tapping the visegrips with a hammer starting gently and then gradually harder I couldnotice the slight stretch of the metal molecules and the wire getting straighter.

It ended up perfectly straight.

Just an idea you might try on your material.

Zor

FliteMetal 06-24-2011 12:02 PM

I do not believe the Dr. ( http://www.vogelsang-aeroscale.com/vintage.html ) sells plans alone. Its a 1/4 and 1/5th kit.
However you might contact Barth and see if he will let go of plans. Go back to Post #: 12901 Barth is on this thread.
Click and ask him if he will sell plans alone.

rccrasher65 06-24-2011 01:02 PM

Ed, thanks for all your help, I will do that, see how far I get. George

FMBB 06-24-2011 01:11 PM

No he will not.

Peter

rccrasher65 06-24-2011 01:26 PM

Thanks Peter, I will not ask. George

FMBB 06-24-2011 02:02 PM

You are welcome. George

We never sell plans separately as the price for a single plan compared to a complete kit would not calculate. In addition it would be at least for the third scale Waco nearly imposible to manufactur the parts without a CNC machine. Parts are so acurate tolerated that you will not reach the accuracy by hand. If you will not make use of our original parts you may have a lot of problems to find alternative solutions for substituting them. So you may have no advantage in obtaining the plans only.

Peter

brother # 170

Neil K 06-24-2011 02:38 PM

Peter, I was wondering if you could tell me if the Saito 270T four stroke would be a good match for your 1/4th scale Waco? The Saito 270T is a twin cyl. 4 stroke comming in at or near 48cc. would this be a good match up? I also would like Stickbuilder to comment also, re; his 28% plan version. As I have planned on either His 28% plan to build with or the Barth Quarter scale bird in kit form. Thank You
Neil K.
WB 142

acerc 06-24-2011 06:01 PM

I did not see to many responses to the idea of a Gathering of Waco's. Is there not any interest in such an idea. I for one would be there.

mogman 06-24-2011 06:55 PM

I would like to go....if I lived a little closer! It's about a 4000 km drive. Now, if it could be around the time of Monster Planes in October, that would be a trip!!! I'm guessing 2-3 days from Houston to Lakeland. It already takes me 7 days to get to Lakeland. (5000+ kms.)

WacoNut 06-25-2011 02:13 AM

I would love to make the trip but could not commit to it. I am most likely going to have to have shoulder surgery sometime in the near future.
Ken Spears aka Big_Bird lives in Texas and would most likely attend, he has a 25% Pepino Waco and he usually attends the 2 other major events at Bomber field with is Waco and 42% Decathalon.
Later!!
Anthony

Stickbuilder 06-25-2011 02:17 AM

ORIGINAL: mansfieldjay

Hi Stickbuilder,

Another South African here asking to be a brother.

Just took delivery of a 33% AMR Waco and have loved every bit of advice offered in this group.

Thanks from a father and son duo,

Jason and Ken Mansfield
NEW BROTHER ALERT X2

We have a pair of new Brothers, a Father and Son team.

Let's all welcome Jason Mansfield, Brother #206 and
Ken Mansfield, Brother # 207.

Welcome and we hope that you both enjoy your Waco.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Stickbuilder 06-25-2011 02:20 AM

I'd love to attend, but it would depend upon when it is going to be. I'm still on the mend from getting this defibrillator and Pacemaker installed, and as soon as the sawbones gives the okay, I'll be having shoulder surgery to reconnect the snapped tendon in the right rotator cuff.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

nine o nine 06-25-2011 02:27 AM

I couldn't go...too far. Can only afford one long modeling trip a year.
Welcome to the new brothers. There's quite a bit written in the forum about changes necessary to the AMR version if you wish to scale it out to documentation. Mitch

Errol Levin 06-25-2011 04:00 AM

Welcome to the brotherhood countrymen Jason & Ken. The South African contingent is growing.

ERROL (#204)

FMBB 06-25-2011 04:02 AM

Hi Neil,

we normally recomend a 300 or 360 Laser (both 4 stroke twin cyl.) which is 50 respectively 60ccm or the 45ccm Zenoha gas engine. The 300 Laser does provide more power as you may need for the quarter Waco so your 270T will fit perfectly in our quarter Waco. Both of my US distributors will be for sure pleased to sell you a kit.

Best regards
Peter

Waco Brother #170

FliteMetal 06-25-2011 04:03 AM

Gentlemen,

I proposed the event as a gathering to be discussed further and a planned event...not just to accommodate
just a few for a suddenly thrown together event. This is something best attended when best planned for the
Brotherhood's benefit...member head count wise.

My intention is to provide an opportunity for everyone to gather together as a flying and social event.

Personally, given the huge number of Stearman out there I believe it would be a fabulous event for WACOs
and Stearman together. Our Warbird and B-17 events typically have five to eight Stearman of all sizes in
attendence.

The first weekend in June and third weekend in September Bomber Field hosts our two hysterical events. Or
was that historical... Our B-17 and Big Bird in September draws between 3000 and 5000 spectators over three
days of constant flying.

Considering our weather is the same 335 days a year, this event can occur virtually when ever...

Bomber would advertise the event heavily for its spectator value. Property taxes are offset by spectator fees
at our events. With 4.4 million people in the Metro Houston region and Texas with the largest population of AMA
members we tend to fill the rafters (literally) with hamburger and hot dog loving spectators. Banquet meeting
style facilities are readily available, motel lodging for thousands is fifteen minutes away from field gate.

Most of the other events conducted at Bomber Field are of this nature. If they have decent spectator and pilot
attendence value the club works the concessions from our commercial kitchen facilities.

As was mentioned above, this event could be an "on the way to" another event attended by many of you. The
Monster Planes is a good example of that. Our B-17 event serves that place for the Warbird Over The Rockies.
I recommend open discussion rather than back channel initial discussion so all those lurking beneath the surface
can be kept aware of the topic.

FMBB 06-25-2011 04:11 AM

Hi Jason,

welcome to the brotherhood. Now you may ask Errol via this forum about the Waco kit. Hi has a quarter Waco.

To All,

a meeting would be nice but what about the over seas residents? Would be a long trip for us to the USA with the models.

Peter brother#170

FliteMetal 06-25-2011 05:19 AM

Peter,

Bomber Field has international participants at each of our annual events. We have two international airports serving Houston. This event could be an
international WACO/Stearman Fly-In of three (3) days duration if desired... Typically our largest events are Thursday through Saturday. This provides
Saturday evening and Sunday as escape day.

I would imagine WACO Classic 1:1 would want to be in attendence at this event. We not only have our grass runway...but if you look back at the aerial
photo of Bomber Field you will see the 1:1 grass runway on the West side of the property. Don Kettles at Classic was interested in it years ago when I
suggested it. We typically have several full size and kit planes in attendence and our club chairman usually conducts his noon-time "Snoopy & Red Baron"
routine with his 5/8 Neiuport.

http://www.bomberfieldusa.com/2009/n11overbomber.jpg

http://www.bomberfieldusa.com/bomber_aerial.jpg

acerc 06-25-2011 09:02 AM

Mitch, Jim and Neil
I did'nt make it to the post office before they closed. Had to work on the septic this morning. Will mail on monday for sure.

FMBB 06-25-2011 11:00 AM

Hi Ed,

what a great site to fly. As Germany is very crowded specially in Bavaria where I am living we are very happy when we have a permission and a small place to fly from. Villages are almost close to our flying fields les than halve a mile so you have to take care reduce noise and stop flying during noon etc. etc.. Its Germany with all its rules and laws to obay too its not the land of the free as far as this issue is concerned.

Never the less it would be interested to join such an event at least as a spectator. I have a box to ship the Waco but this would be to expensive either I would sent it via sea. But than a work shop would be missing to check if the plane is still airworthy. This might be an issue to think about when I am retired. Still some years to go.

Thanks for making me jealous.

Peter #170

Stickbuilder 06-25-2011 07:01 PM

Peter,

The food makes the Old Country worth living in if nothing else. My Family original Surname was Frei. I grew up on strong breads, and good cheese. I can still make a meal of that. Not to mention the Wursts. Dang, I'm making myself hungry.

Bill, Waco Brother #1