RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

mogman 03-29-2012 09:20 PM

RE: WACO YMF

Hi Chris.....yes still here. The only mod I've done to the big green machine is moved the cowl forward a slight bit more (to allow for more airflow) and made up some baffles to go between the cylinders on the Moki. Hasn't flown since Monster Planes.

Nothing more on the Aeronca....still thinkin'.....I built an AMR stick 85 this winter mainly for glider towing,120", DLE111....fun plane to fly, lol.
I'm also building a sailplane as we speak, I flew gliders MANY years ago, and aerotowing seems to be making a come-back. In fact a friend of mine and I am driving to Yakima, Wa. early in May for a 3 day aerotow....could be a lot of fun. I've even thought about putting a tow hook on the Waco

The plan is Monster planes again this year,(with the Waco) but I also plan to attend Mac Hodge's "Rally of the Eagles" in Georgia the weekend prior to Monsters. Only a little bit off my normal route to Florida.

The price of gas in the US is a little concerning for my long trip, but it's still a bargain for us up here. Right now we are paying 6.50-6.60 imp. gal.....about 5.50 for a US Gal. I think my gas bill for last year's trip was about 2200.00 US.[X(][X(]....money well spent to see the guys down in sunny FL.:D

We should be flying regularly here fairly soon, if the weather smartens up! End of May is a week-long float fly about 6 hours North-East of here. It also takes place in Sept. I've been doing that twice a year since 1993.

Hope to see you all in Lakeland later this year..

Cheers,
Dave.
W/B #180

Stickbuilder 03-30-2012 03:26 AM

I still think you need to make it to Top Gun. You can fly and rent a car for much less then the 2 grand. You won't believe the show.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

cannonball200 03-30-2012 07:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
On my ARF GP WACO I made my own version of the tail wheel. It has worked flawlessly so far. I set it up for pull-pull with the cables running in tube enclosures up to the rudder servo arm.
Thanks,
Eddie

cannonball200 03-30-2012 07:22 AM

I did one (1) servo extension to the upper wing and used a y-harness. Works great.
Thanks,
Eddie

RBACONS 03-30-2012 07:39 AM

Jaybird,

Just a note. The GP manual has you "Y" together the top wing ailerons and "Y" together the bottom wing ailerons. If you do so, you lose the ability to use your radio's aileron differential function and will have to set it up mechanically. If you're going to use any Y harnesses, I would do them left side and right side rather than top and bottom. Also, might as well reinforce the center seam on your wheel pants before you install them. I think most folks have had the seam split after a couple of hard landings. Same problem with the landing gear fairings but I'm not sure there's a way to reinforce them until after they split. Minor problems on an otherwise very nice plane.

Jaybird 03-30-2012 07:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I was reading through that part and figured they must assume a non-computer radio. My plan is to "Y" for a left and right aileron so I can control centering and differential. My Cermark Pitts is set up that way with four aileron servos so I planned to duplicate that setup.

I really like what Eddie did with his tail wheel. Can you give any mounting/modification details. Perhaps in a PM if you don't want to post a long description.

Here is the Du-Bro tail wheel compared to the stock unit.

Thanks for tips on reinforcing the fiberglass. Some of them look pretty thin and I've chipped the tip off one of the lower wing fairings already....darn.

Jaybird

Stickbuilder 03-30-2012 09:20 AM

You have to remember, the life expectancy of the average ARF is usually measured in minutes. Most of the time the original tail wheel is about all that survives the first few flights. I'm personally happy to see you guys who buy yours trying to scale them out though. I got to see the prototype at Top Gun last year. Dave Johnson had it with him in the Futaba Tent. I gave it a quick look, and it doesn't look nearly as bad as the fifth scale that Cox put out. I still don't know why you guys are not buying the OS 160 twin for them. It is the perfect engine for the fifth scale version.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

rcjunky67 03-30-2012 09:46 AM

Hey Bill, will the 160 fit inside the cowl without cutting it. I'm planning to use my saito 150 cause it's brand new, I was gonna use it on my ultimate , but I've also got a new magnum 120 ar that I can use on that plane. Ebay is a wonderful thing, HAHA ! I was also thinking of gewtting a dle 30 , cause I'd like to go with gas too, but already have the 150. But as alway's thank's for the advice

Jaybird 03-30-2012 10:07 AM

I just picked up a new Saito 125 (at last year's price) from the LHS. The inside of the cowl measures 8" roughly at the rear opening and the 125 is just over 4" from the mounting lugs to the top of the rocker covers. I'll probably still cut clearance holes to help with cooling but try to keep them small. I was going to do the OS 95 two-stroke but knew I'd be happier with a four stroke sound for $50 more.

I'd like to do a representative set of flying wires and an extendable set of aileron pushrods. For the flying wires I need to locate and design the lower mounting points above the landing gear and make it so I can dissassemble it. I've used pull-pull clevis sets on several planes with success. The aileron pushrods will have to have a free floating end since all four ailerons are powered and I don't want them binding or working against each other. it would be great to reproduce the corrugated surface on the ailerons ans that is a distinct characteristic of the WACO line. They are already hinged to the wing panels so rework will require some surgery.

I've had my Hanger 9 ARF Cub for 18 years or so and despite several hard crashes it's on floats and going strong with it's original Saito 56. I'm hoping the WACO will have a similar life span.

They all have an expiration date!

Jaybird

skipb 03-30-2012 10:27 AM

Yes it does fit w/o cutting the cowl.

Skipb

Jaybird 03-30-2012 10:33 AM

Cool! Do you have yours mounted vertically or horizontally?

Jaybird

skipb 03-30-2012 11:58 AM

The engine is mounted horizontally with carb on the bottom.

Skipb

Jaybird 03-30-2012 12:34 PM

Sorry Skip, I thought you were talking about the single cylinder 125 not the twin 160. I couldn't figure out how it could be horizontal with carb down on a single and you probably couldn't figure why I would ask if a twin would be mounted vertically. Ooops!

I think the single 125 will require some cowl cutting, darn.

Jaybird

Dash7ATP 03-30-2012 12:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

............................................>&g t;>I still don't know why you guys are not buying the OS 160 twin for them. It is the perfect engine for the fifth scale version.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

I'd love to put a 1.60 in mine. The reason? $$$$$$$$$ Like about $940.00 .

Joe

cannonball200 03-30-2012 07:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I installed a Dle 20 in my GP Waco Arf. It has plenty of power for the plane and fits in nicely. I bought a Jtec special made muffler for mine also.
Thanks,
Eddie

Stickbuilder 03-31-2012 04:55 AM

It is a bit pricey, but it is very much worth it. You can pay for it in fuel savings alone, since it requires zero Nitro Methane. Just brew up some alky and Castor.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Dash7ATP 03-31-2012 05:51 AM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

It is a bit pricey, but it is very much worth it. You can pay for it in fuel savings alone, since it requires zero Nitro Methane. Just brew up some alky and Castor.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Right!That would be three car payments! I'll let you convience my wife that Ineed a 1.60! http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/js/f.../sad_smile.gif

RBACONS 03-31-2012 06:21 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I mounted an OS 1.60 twin in mine. Fits perfectly, is a very good match power-wise, and sounds great too. There's about 1/2" clearance between the cylinder heads and the side of the cowl. I only had to cut about a 1/2" notch out of the center rear trailing edge of the cowl to let my 2 brass tube exhaust extenders slip out below the cowl bowl. Because the 1.60 has a very short integral motor mount, I did have to build a ply box to push the engine forward an inch or so. I also built a semi (very semi) scale tail wheel from brass and a Dubro 1 1/2" tail wheel. If you plan to mount an after market tail wheel, be aware that the balsa towards the tail post is not very thick or hard. My tail wheel screws pulled loose after a dozen flights or so. I ended up cuttting out a 2 inch length of balsa out to the side stringers, epoxied a 1/8 ply plate to the stringers and then filled the hole with fairly hard balsa.

Also, a little cockpit coaming really dresses up the cockpit openings.

Stickbuilder 03-31-2012 09:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
for exhaust extensions, I use chrome water supply tubing (available at Lowe's) and cut them to length. They are very bendable without kinking too. They look great. As you can see, the engine fits within the cowl with no cutting.

Bill Waco Brother #1

WacoNut 04-01-2012 03:52 PM

Bill how are the 27% plans coming?
Later!!
Anthony

Jaybird 04-02-2012 06:56 AM

I am very interested in how the tail wheel assemblies have been hooked up internally inside the ARF version. I can't figure out how to activate the tail wheel and get the required assembly up inside it. If anyone would like to share those details I'd appreciate it.

I had planned to add a basswood block in the tail to mount the Du-Bro bracket to and then use the included springs and control horn to activate it, but the assembly will not look very accurate.

I believe someone in this thread kept the ARF top wing a three piece unit and attached the center section to the cabanes and the outer panels removable. I can't find that thread again and they also didn't explain how they did it when I read it before. Any further details on that would be helpful too.

I have pulled everything out of the box and organized the packages and hardware and I'm close to starting (after the ironing of course) but I found I was missing the landing gear center fairing block. I dug through all the boxes and packaging and just couldn't find it. I called Great Planes on Saturday and their service department said they would get one in the mail to me which I thought was great service. On Sunday I was moving the fuselage around on my workbench when I noticed a block with double sided tape in the landing gear mounting area still stuck to it. I started looking around the fuselage again and gave a good shake and heard a rattle in the tail. Looking in I could see something lodged way in the back where the elevator mounts stuck behind the pushrod tubes and bulkheads. After a bit more shaking and moving it around it finally came loose and it was the missing block! I've since contacted Great Planes and told them I found it and to thank them for their assistance.

I have a few more small items to pick up this week and I should get it started for real next weekend.

Jaybird

Dash7ATP 04-03-2012 06:17 AM

Good morning to the Brotherhood!

Well, I have a 1.60 Gemini twin on it's way to me.  I got real lucky and won it on EBay over the weekend for about half price, and it's NIB. I still don't believe it!
I have a  few questions related to mounting and using this engine.

1.  How does it respond to ISO mounts? These are the rubber shock mounts that help deaden the vibration transfer to the fuselage. I have a YS 1.2 mounted that way and it really helps keep the noise down. It has been problem free.

2. This engine does not come with a muffler. I'm guessing it tends to be a little loud. I'm considering making up a small canaster muffler to attach to the fire wall beneath the engine. Two inlets and two outlets in the scale location. 

3. Since this engine is usually mounted with the carb on the bottom, how do you keep it from flooding out after the tank is filled ( which almost has to be mounted higher than the carb inlet). It would be difficult to clamp off the fuel line once a dummy engine is in place. Would mounting with the carb on top cauise any issues?

4. Any thought on installing an  Onboard Glow driver?

Suggestions and comments welcome.

Thanks,

Joe

LesUyeda 04-03-2012 06:39 AM

"How does it respond to ISO mounts? These are the rubber shock mounts that help deaden the vibration transfer to the fuselage.

What vibration. There isn't any.

"This engine does not come with a muffler. I'm guessing it tends to be a little loud. "

Not true. Sounds so good, I used to want to walk along under mine just to listen:-))))))))))

#3. Had mine in a 1/4 Spacewalker, and did not take any particular precautions, and had no problems.

Les

Dash7ATP 04-03-2012 07:34 AM

ORIGINAL: LesUyeda

"How does it respond to ISO mounts? These are the rubber shock mounts that help deaden the vibration transfer to the fuselage.

What vibration. There isn't any.

"This engine does not come with a muffler. I'm guessing it tends to be a little loud. "

Not true. Sounds so good, I used to want to walk along under mine just to listen:-))))))))))

#3. Had mine in a 1/4 Spacewalker, and did not take any particular precautions, and had no problems.

Les
Thanks for your reply. I can't wait to get it and do some break-in runs to check it out.

Ihaven't started my WACOyet, as I'm still tring to re-design the wing tips for a more scale like appearance. I'll give a report when Ihave something to show.

Joe

Stickbuilder 04-03-2012 08:28 AM

Nope, it does not vibrate at all. Make sure that you balance your prop. I use an onboard glow driver on mine (Maxx Products). You can see the exhaust extensions that I made from water supply tubing. It purrs. Not noisy at all. Mount it solid. You don't want any vibration mounts on this engine. As to the fuel requirements, mine have never liked anything above 5% nitro. And they run very well on FAI fuel.

Bill, Waco Brother #1