RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

dadrivet 07-04-2012 10:17 AM

RE: WACO YMF

a friend just came round to visit and come up with an idea try an auto shop for the r clips they use them to fit brake pads

nine o nine 07-04-2012 12:31 PM

I've made many of those in the past using music wire. Mitch

Dash7ATP 07-04-2012 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: nine o nine

I've made many of those in the past using music wire. Mitch
That should not be too difficult. What I'm considerihng is using a small 1/16 inch dia clevis pin about3/16 inch long, with the clip through a hole in the end to make it easy to connect and disconnect my flying wires.

I may be looking for the needle in a haystack.

airplanegeek 07-04-2012 03:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is the set-up on my Waco. Works fantastic and is super quick to knock apart. let me know if this helps. I know that you are looking for flying wire rigging, but this is adequate for caban struts as well. The pins are aircraft AN hardware custom cut and drilled. The clips are RC car hardware, just like Bill said. I made two extra so I can afford to loose one or so at the field.

She sure is dirty. Been hanging for about 7 months. Time to get her out again soon!

Dash7ATP 07-04-2012 04:08 PM

That's just about exactly what I'm talking about.  finding the clevis pins and small clips are going to be difficult.
Thanks,

JOe

airplanegeek 07-04-2012 04:34 PM

No problem.....here you go.

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalo...ispinsgrid.php

Stickbuilder 07-06-2012 11:39 AM

Brother Dan drove up to Shagnasty Acres this morning, and we pretty much got the shop set up. Cleaned up anyway. It's a beast having such a small place to build and fly..........:D

Bill, Waco Brother #1

ceije 07-06-2012 01:12 PM

Dan, FYI I still haven't seen the PM that you sent, I guess they're having net problems again. I'll talk to you..

chris melhus, ceije 196

mrdhud 07-06-2012 02:41 PM

Bill
Made it home OK. As far as a small shop LOL you can park four or five cars in it and still have room to build a full size plane. I'll post some pictures soon.

Stickbuilder 07-06-2012 03:05 PM

ORIGINAL: mrdhud

Bill
Made it home OK. As far as a small shop LOL you can park four or five cars in it and still have room to build a full size plane. I'll post some pictures soon.

[8D]

Bill, Waco Brother #1

Stickbuilder 07-07-2012 03:17 AM

Here is the link to the shop video that Dan took. Like I said, it's tough to not have enough building room.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44-MGQSAvYM

mrdhud 07-07-2012 04:17 AM

I bet Bill will be out in the shop today just a organizing. Have fun. Did I forget to mention that it was someone’s birthday yesterday wont mention any names but he carries a vary vary vary vary small brotherhood #

mogman 07-07-2012 05:06 AM

I'm going out on a limb here, but I would have to say....Happy Birthday, Bill....he does have a very, very, very low #

Wow...what a shop....I'm jealous. Wonderful, every modeler's dream:D...(well, at least my dream shop)

Cheers,
Dave.
W/B #180

rccrasher65 07-07-2012 07:03 AM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Here is the link to the shop video that Dan took. Like I said, it's tough to not have enough building room.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44-MGQSAvYM
<br body="" birthday="" happy="" />Happy Birthday Bill, very nice shop, I can think of many things to fill that space with, airplanes,airplanes,and more airplanes, enjoy.

Stickbuilder 07-07-2012 07:09 AM

Problem with a shop that size is you rattle around like a BeeBee in a Beer can.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

acerc 07-07-2012 08:37 AM

I would not mind being a BeeBee.
Happy late Birthday.

RCBOATMANIAC 07-07-2012 10:00 AM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

Problem with a shop that size is you rattle around like a BeeBee in a Beer can.

Bill, Waco Brother #1
Now all you need it a metel lathe, and a nice milling machine and you could crank out some Bill's custom landing gear of your own design for airplanes, that would help out the Brotherhood. LOL

Stickbuilder 07-08-2012 02:33 PM

Well, I do happen to have a nice little Bridgeport Multi Mill, and I have a line on a nice older Atlas 48" bed lathe. I'm trying to beat him down on the price so we'll see.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

ceije 07-09-2012 01:06 AM

Bill, happy belated birthday,, and don't get lost in that hanger err shop. Lots of luck with it.[8D][8D]

regards,
chris melhus, ceije #196

ceije 07-09-2012 04:44 PM

Dave, looking forward to seeing you and your Waco at Monster Planes, its good to see you on the forum, take care.

regards,

Chris Melhus, ceije #196

mogman 07-09-2012 07:28 PM

Hi Chris.
Looking forward to coming down again.
See you there.

Cheers,
Dave.
W/B #180

Dash7ATP 07-10-2012 07:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ihaven't posted any photos of my build lately so a quick catch up. A few of my stab bracing mounts. A 1/4" dowel in the corner should hold the bracing wires just fine.The 1/64 plywood squarescover the slots Icut in the center for the Robart round hinges. I have also included a few shots of my gear center brace spring shock mount.

Primarily, Iwanted to post a few photos of the fittings I just made for the flying wire attachment points at the leading edge near the wing fairings. I scratched my head for days over the best way to do this. They have to be parallel and almost touching the fairings. On the full scale these wires attach internally, and Ididn't want to go there on this model. Ihave not glued in the basswood mounting pieces in the event someone here might have a suggestion that will imprive the looks of what I'm trying to do. I'm open to suggestion and critique.

Joe

skypup50 07-11-2012 10:11 AM

Can anyone tell me the width at the widest point on the GP Waco and also its height as she sits on the gear? I need to see if it would fit in my Jetta station wagon. I have about 63 inches to the rear and 9" between the seats. I'm wondering if I will be able to push it between the seats to make it fit? Thanks for the help guys.

mrdhud 07-11-2012 11:41 AM

Joe,
I like the way you are installing your wires don’t see any reason they wont work but I do have one question on the center wing section is there any reason both brackets can’t be centered over the rib so your forks line up with each other? Maybe I’m missing something.

Dash7ATP 07-11-2012 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: mrdhud

Joe,
I like the way you are installing your wires don&rsquo;t see any reason they wont work but I do have one question on the center wing section is there any reason both brackets can&rsquo;t be centered over the rib so your forks line up with each other? Maybe I&rsquo;m missing something.

HI Dan,

Good question and the reason it took me awhile to figure out how to do this.Since this pair of wires run parallel to the forward attachment of the interplane strut,they are in the same plane and would appear as one wire as seen directly from the front. Where they enter the upper surface of the wing leading edge curve is the problem. The aft most wire enters at a thicker part of the wing than the forward wire. Internally on the full scale , they probably just use the same bolt on either side of the spar. It is where they come through the surface that creates the problem.

The attached photos should make this a little more obvious. The same problem exists at the two wires that attach at the lower forward N-strut. On the underside of the upper wing, it won't be a problem since the wing is flat at those points. The first photo should show the outboard pair and the second should show the inboard pair. While the outboard pair of wires do not run parallel to each other, the exit points on the wing do not line up.

Joe