RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

old git 03-25-2007 05:55 AM

RE: WACO YMF

SkylarkMk1,

Thanks for the links, they open out further options, among them the Pilot kit Goshawk FC11C that I tucked away about 35yrs ago. The only thing I didn't like was the spun aluminium cooking pot cowl that has constant diameter. A proper ring cowl needs a two piece mold to get the correct elevation. I'm sure that one can be found eventually, it remains far down the "To Build" list.

old git - - - - - - - aka John L.

WACO Britherhood No. 14.

skylarkmk1 03-25-2007 08:26 AM

ORIGINAL: old git

WACO Britherhood No. 14.
What's a Britherhood? :)

khodges 03-25-2007 03:39 PM

ORIGINAL: skylarkmk1

WACO Britherhood No. 14.

that's just his Brit accent:D

Not making much progress, can't say why. I just can't get motivated or something. I did get the wheel pants, landing gear struts and tailwheel primed with a couple coats. I also got all the electrics in, mounted, connected, tested. The smoke system works, which I mean to say doesn't leak, and the pump will empty the tank. This little pump will really move some oil. At 20% of total throw (the pump's flow rate is adjusted using the end point adjustment for the channel) it will empty a 12 oz. tank in a tad under two minutes. If I go any lower on the end point, it's not feeding enough current to the pump for it to run. I hope that with the engine running, the exhaust will provide a bit of back pressure to the system, and I can increase the flow rate. Otherwise, I'll have to increase the flow rate on the radio, and use a restrictor clamp on the line to regulate the flow. My goal is about 3.50 minutes to empty 12 oz of oil, which is what the manual recommends for this size engine.

I think my batteries will go just behind the bottom wing. There is a sheeted area and a depression between two formers that they fit in perfectly. I'll just make a tie-down strap from Velcro to secure them. I ordered two packs from Superbatterypacks.com and they arrived Friday. They are 2700mAh NiMH "A" size 4.8V, they ought to be okay. One will go in the WACO, and the other is a spare, or I'll stick it in another high-draw plane. I'll use a 700 mAh NiCd for the smoke pump.

Well, back to the shop.

old git 03-25-2007 07:41 PM

WACO Britherhood No. 14.

Simple, I'm a Brithering Idiot!

WACO Brotherhood No. 14.

Nightstalker 03-25-2007 09:16 PM

WACO Britherhood No. 14.

Simple, I'm a Brithering Idiot!

WACO Brotherhood No. 14.

Welcome to the club;) err... Blitherhood... reminds me of my Army days[:o] We won't go there... AGAIN...

Lt - it's un-Air Force-ish of you to be unmotivated[8D]... A good Navy Master Chief would have had the K-All in place and on his um-teenth coat of color by now... Officers... I swear... And Army Doggies couldn't cover and paint their way out of a wet paper airplane... unless it had rotor blades.

On a serious note Ken, when you find the time to cover your aero-machine, post pics and details of your progress.:D Pretend your writing to a 5 year old... my daughter I mean :) She LOVES "Shiney" airplanes.

Out Here,

Todd

Doggie 47

khodges 03-25-2007 10:05 PM

Hey NightStalker---do you read "Air and Space Smithsonian"? There is a great "there I wuz" story about a replenishment flight by a CH-46 pilot. Great story. The cover of the issue has the Canadian Snowbirds demo team on it. (this month's)

Nightstalker 03-26-2007 09:43 AM

Lt. - Everyone knows ARMY guys can't read (or type sometimes).

As a matter of fact, I have a collegue here at work that subscribes to that magazine and he will often times leave a copy on my desk with a sticky note on the "cool" article that he thinks would be of interest to me. I'll ask him about that story. Thanks Sir.

Also regarding your forthcoming K-all job, you and the Master Chief had some very interesting discussion about covering on another forum and I was hoping to see perhaps a covering / painting contest - less'n you're a scared of a Navy guy :D

Nightstalker

Stickbuilder 03-26-2007 11:41 AM

"Chief of the Boat on deck".....

As you were, I'll be in the area all day.

What the &^%##$% has been going on with this here thread for the last few days?????

I can't even take Liberty without you clowns getting the entire boat ^%$$#$% up....

Turn to, heave out, trice up. Hold field-day on this here area!!!!!!

Heeeeeeee's Baaaaaack!!

Dang, I was so far out in the Toolies that it was day after tomorrow before today's sunshine got there. No phone service, no internet, and only watching the money drain away. Oh well, It's good to be back. I'm going to grab about 40 winks, then I'll turn on the phone, and get busy.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

khodges 03-26-2007 02:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Nightstalker

As a matter of fact, I have a collegue here at work that subscribes to that magazine and he will often times leave a copy on my desk with a sticky note on the "cool" article that he thinks would be of interest to me. I'll ask him about that story. Thanks Sir.

Also regarding your forthcoming K-all job, you and the Master Chief / painting contest - less'n you're a scared of a Navy guy :D

Nightstalker
The story is about a NAVY Sea Knight and has to do with shuttling supplies from ship to ship, and him taking off with a gross overload from the Eisenhower's deck and what happened when he lost ground effect as he passed off the edge of the deck. he was wearing his cojones for earrings for a bit.:D

As for a painting contest, shouldn't be a problem. Everybody knows that sailors only paint gray, and they use a 6 inch brush to do it. Of course, it would only take the Master Chief about three strokes to paint the plane.

khodges 03-26-2007 02:56 PM

ORIGINAL: Stickbuilder

"Chief of the Boat on deck".....

What the &^%##$% has been going on with this here thread for the last few days?????

I can't even take Liberty without you clowns getting the entire boat ^%$$#$% up....

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
LIBERTY???? I thought you made a head call and the sharks ate you:)

As for what's been going on......... you know what an "Ensign's salute" is?

Good to have you back, Massa Cheef.

Stickbuilder 03-26-2007 03:50 PM

[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] [sm=stupid.gif]

Don't know which one of these is the most appropriate after this much jet lag. On Thursday at first light, we were going, "Feet Wet" over Daytona Beach, en route to Charlotte N.C., and at 4 PM, we were driving right beside the Pacific at Ventura CA. Two oceans in one day is a little much (unless you are in the Canal Zone). Last evening we took off from LAX and went out over the Pacific, and this morning, we came back in over Daytona. Two oceans again....It's enough to get anyone buzzed. I tried to bribe the pilot to do a low and fast over Nightstalker's house, but he wasn't buying in on that, besides we were on an Airbus 321, and it don't do, "Low" real good. Good to be back.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Nightstalker 03-26-2007 04:22 PM

Lt. - That's exactly why I don't wear earrings (or advocate the practice on men at any age - I hope my son - in - law reads this[>:]).
We had to meet a Testicular size requirement to fly in my old unit and having those puppys up around your ear lobes was never a good thing. My friend is going to bring that magazine in for me. Sounds like good reading.

A "Haze Grey" WACO vs. Air Force blue... I'll stick with my dull flat black:D

Nightstalker

Doggie 47

bart5495 03-26-2007 04:28 PM

Clean sweep down, for and aft, empty all trash cans!

khodges 03-26-2007 08:15 PM

[sm=spinnyeyes.gif] [sm=stupid.gif]

Don't know which one of these is the most appropriate after this much jet lag. On Thursday at first light, we were going, "Feet Wet" over Daytona Beach, en route to Charlotte N.C., and at 4 PM, we were driving right beside the Pacific at Ventura CA. Two oceans in one day is a little much (unless you are in the Canal Zone). Last evening we took off from LAX and went out over the Pacific, and this morning, we came back in over Daytona. Two oceans again....It's enough to get anyone buzzed. I tried to bribe the pilot to do a low and fast over Nightstalker's house, but he wasn't buying in on that, besides we were on an Airbus 321, and it don't do, "Low" real good. Good to be back.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

The time changes were what always screwed me up, going east to west, and then west to east. All our charting and notes on the AC had to be in Zulu time, so I just set my mind's clock to it and used it wherever I happened to be, even off the AC. And one ocean at a time is plenty. I often got to see opposite shores of the same one in a day.

Stickbuilder 03-26-2007 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: bart5495

Clean sweep down, for and aft, empty all trash cans!

Since you brought it up, The time honored 1-MC announcment is: Now Reville, Reville, Up all hands. Clean Sweep Down Fore and Aft, Clamp Down All Weather Decks, Heave Out, Trice Up, Eat and Relieve the Watch, On Deck Section 2. Commence Field Day. "Belay dumping the #%&* Cans on the Pier." :D:D:D

I actually heard a surface Skimmer announce that very Quote over the 1-MC while we were Starboard side to, pier November, Charleston Naval Base. Wonder how long it took for that poor Quarterdeck watch to get off Extra Military Instruction.....? I do know that the incident made the rounds at Sub-Ron 4, and Flot 6. Ya gotta hand it to them Skimmers....no lack of intestinal fortitude. No over abundance of brains either.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

khodges 03-26-2007 09:57 PM

Hey, Master Chief, I'm curious to know what you were gonna say over on the other forum regarding kitting an ARF[sm=confused.gif]

On another note, what is the flying weight of the Pica kit, as you have it built?. I expected mine to have gained more weight than it has, but I'm definitely not disappointed.

Nightstalker 03-26-2007 10:12 PM

Bill - Not that the Lt. and I are stayin' up waaay past our bedtimes... not even drinkin' ... and miles apart... Did you ever get your RC Report? What was that other announcement you were gonna make? Was it the Wedding / Liberty thing??? Or is there more good news looming?

Todd

Doggie 47

bart5495 03-26-2007 11:56 PM

As we overtook or were overtaken by a naval war ship we would lower the colors for the salute. Most of the time they would not exspect a Merchant ship to lower colors so it was a race for the sailor. Once the poor guy fell racing to get to the halyard to lower the flag. It was sad, but we laughed, sorry.
I have a confession to make. I have two waco's in the box and one complete(almost). but I'm working on my Aeromaster first. Just put on the last coat of nitrate and itl's now ready for cover. I really want to finish it like the waco's. I'm glad your back sitckbuilder. It was not too exicting this past week.

I'm confused. Who is the Officer and who actually works for a living

Stickbuilder 03-27-2007 04:43 AM

ORIGINAL: khodges

Hey, Master Chief, I'm curious to know what you were gonna say over on the other forum regarding kitting an ARF[sm=confused.gif]

On another note, what is the flying weight of the Pica kit, as you have it built?. I expected mine to have gained more weight than it has, but I'm definitely not disappointed.
I was going to say that without some specialized jigs (fixtures) the typical ARF'er would probably never get one completed and flyable. Then I rethought the whole thing, and asked myself, why do you want to get another anti-builder rant started in the first place? The typical ARF assembler (I said typical) is very easily provoked, and I see absolutely no reason to get them started off again.

I have no idea what the weight of this one that I am building will be. I utilized quite a bit of weight savings, but then I gained some weight with the variable incidence stab, and the new tailwheel and associated parts. Hopefully, will come in at about 15.5 pounds. The last one gained a little weight with the addition of the pilot and some last minute detail stuff, and is pushing 16 pounds. If you do the math with the all-up weight vs the wing area and volume, it's still pretty much a lightweight. But remember the drag factor.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Stickbuilder 03-27-2007 04:46 AM

ORIGINAL: Nightstalker

Bill - Not that the Lt. and I are stayin' up waaay past our bedtimes... not even drinkin' ... and miles apart... Did you ever get your RC Report? What was that other announcement you were gonna make? Was it the Wedding / Liberty thing??? Or is there more good news looming?

Todd

Doggie 47
Ywp, RC Report came while I was gone, and sure enough, there it is on page 33.....[8D]

I'll get to the other thing later. But it has to do with the first week in May.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

Stickbuilder 03-27-2007 09:18 AM

ORIGINAL: khodges

LIBERTY???? I thought you made a head call and the sharks ate you:)

Sharks don't eat Master Chiefs. Professional courtesy, don't you know?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

funkymusic 03-27-2007 09:27 AM

I came to this posting because I was looking for tips on applying Koverall for my Hog, which is underway --thanks to tips stickbuilder, er Master Chief has posted in this and other forums. I found myself staying because of the subject, I like bipes and am considering a Hog bipe for my next build; building information you all share; and enjoying the b@ll busting! It took me a week to get through all the pages and I even went back once or twice. Thanks to all of you.

Chuck

Stickbuilder 03-27-2007 11:15 AM

Chuck,

You are certainly welcome at any time. This thing has gotten fairly large hasn't it? If you decide that you would like to be a Brother, just sing out, and we'll make it happen. I actually started sheeting the front end of the fuse last night, and should be adding stringers before too long. I need to finalize the controls and the actuators for the H-stab, and the tailwheel before I go too deeply into adding the stringers. I did make the cut-outs for the fueling locations in the forward sides of the fuse (under the side hatches) and will have the supports in place for the fuel dots and also to have access to the rear of the firewall for engine mounting. Glad you enjoyed the thread. We don't always stay on the narrow path for building the WACO's, but if we did, this thread would be so dry that you would spit dust after reading more than 2 pages. This format is much more human, and enjoyable (at least to me). I know that we have turned some people away by being jocular, but that's life. Once again. Thanks for visiting, and posting your comments.

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1

funkymusic 03-27-2007 12:59 PM

This thread has it all maybe I've played too many sports, or it could be I'm an not-too-old-Jarhead that I enjoy the humor that goes on here. I filter the informative posts from the laughable ones. Altogether this is truely one of the best on this great site. BTW, I'm using the film method in covering my hog that is cutting the Koverall into pieces and then applying it. I don't have the confidence yet in using the one piece method like you.

Me joining the Brotherhood? One word "hell yeah," just give a number, thanks.

khodges 03-27-2007 02:14 PM

Sharks don't eat Master Chiefs. Professional courtesy, don't you know?

Bill, AMA 4720
WACO Brotherhood #1
They'd never get the taste out of their mouth:D

Chuck--Glad to have you aboard; stick around, the kovering is about to begin.

Our Master Chief is the Mother of all Brothers:D