RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   WACO YMF (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4058627-waco-ymf.html)

tmac48 03-25-2017 10:46 PM

Yep Sig Koverall is what I used, great to work with. You must be in a different military than I was in ,12months intensive training and then off to Vietnam for another 12 months!

Regards
tmac48

dirtdart 03-26-2017 11:24 AM

Yep, career. Lately it has been 12 months stateside then 12 months or so in your choice of garden spots like iraq, afghanistan, or kuwait. Thus far nearly 4 years of total time.

dirtdart 03-26-2017 12:28 PM

Forgot to add, I work for Australians for three years straight. I still don't get the bundaberg thing. Coopers vintage ale is pretty good though.

Jaybird 04-10-2017 01:55 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Participated in the Owls Head Transportation Museum of Maine annual Model Festival this past weekend. Part of my display was my Great Planes WACO which drew a lot of attention as one of only two biplanes on display (the other one was my BUSA 1/6 scale Nieuport 28) and also because the museum had acquired a full size YMF-5 for their collection and rides during the season. It has the same yellow base color but leading edges have black swoops instead of a straight edge. After the show on Saturday I was able to get some pictures with the two planes together which was quite fun. The Museum even used the picture to advertise the second day's events on-line. This was the same plane I flew in last fall at the museum.

tim allen 04-10-2017 08:03 PM

Very beautiful !

dirtdart 04-14-2017 06:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just got back from a 2-week business trip. Look at what was waiting. Not too bad. A little out of round, but should work.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2209726

dirtdart 04-17-2017 04:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2210270
It looks like the dle20 will fit in there nicely. From what I hear, it should have more than enough power to fly it.

dirtdart 04-17-2017 12:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Wings done, glassed, sanded. Moving on to fuselage.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/atta...mentid=2210335

EJWash1 04-19-2017 06:11 PM

Hostetler YMF-5

Wendell Hostetler just released his 2017 plans offering - a 90", 1/4-scale Waco YMF-5!

WACO YMF-5

dirtdart 04-22-2017 07:53 AM

Dangit...why do they change the layout on the forum.... now I am randomly pushing stuff to get the pic to upload.... two days ago I could post a picture straight into the post. Very confused.

mrdhud 04-22-2017 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by dirtdart (Post 12329111)
Dangit...why do they change the layout on the forum.... now I am randomly pushing stuff to get the pic to upload.... two days ago I could post a picture straight into the post. Very confused.

I know I don't like change but will get used to it. Your build is looking good. Top Gun is just around the corner wonder if we'll see any Waco's this year.

ctflyboy 04-27-2017 06:49 PM

Hi Dan,
Haven't posted in a while , but I do have a question how does one go about typing bigger text I hate change

dirtdart 04-28-2017 05:15 AM

Originally Posted by mrdhud (Post 12329177)
I know I don't like change but will get used to it. Your build is looking good. Top Gun is just around the corner wonder if we'll see any Waco's this year.

I think we are seeing an evolution in the hobby (because of those crazy Russians and the jet masters) to spare no expense builds. From what I gather, they dropped a quarter mil (or so) into that airframe. Like a fine Patek Philippe watch, I imagine the winning formula is in complications, not the simple and well executed. Somewhere there is a Gordon Ramsey plug on the arrogance of overly complicated dishes versus the simple and fresh.

Frankly, I would love to see a Fiat CR-32. IMHO one of the best looking of the fighting biplanes. Is a bit more interesting then other biplanes and has features that render it interesting. WACO is like a staggerwing beach or a round cowl Cessna. Gorgeous, but ordinary.

PS....has anyone figured out how to add a picture straight off a device and not a URL?

Flyrc67 04-29-2017 02:17 PM

Does anyone know anything more on the Hostetler 1/4 scale WACO YMF design?

Ekim 04-29-2017 03:32 PM

Looks like all kinds of info about it on their web site.

Wendell Hostetler Plans

Flyrc67 04-29-2017 05:11 PM

Thanks Ekim, I saw the info on his website. I was hoping that someone might know more about it in terms of his design of this plane compared to others out there.

BFBranin 04-29-2017 06:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Full size model

Stickbuilder 04-30-2017 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Flyrc67 (Post 12331696)
Does anyone know anything more on the Hostetler 1/4 scale WACO YMF design?

it appears to be a Stand Off Scale model. Providing that you are at least 50 feet away. Looks about like the Pepino quarter scale version. It looks like a Waco (kinda-sorta) but when you really start looking closely it's as far off as the Platt/Pica, Pepino, AMR versions. They just aren't close and aren't in the same league as Peter Barth's offerings. Having the full photo set from John and having the archive drawings from Weaver Aircraft puts things into a different perspective. It just depends on what you are willing to put up with. The modified Pica from plans and templates with the 2nd generation wing templates and the other modifications that we have developed over the last 11 years generates a very Scale outline model.

Bill, Waco Brother #1

BobH 04-30-2017 06:19 PM

I have a 1/4 Barth Waco. It appears to be pretty scale. I doubt it's "exact" scale but nicely done.
Mine is still a NIB kit. I should build it but I have so many others ahead of it I have no idea when I'll get around to it. :confused:

Flyrc67 05-01-2017 04:26 PM

Thanks Stickbuilder , just what I was looking for. Appreciate you taking the time to do the comparisons. One additional question regarding the second generation wing profile you referenced. Where do I find these. I have the version from the outerzone. Are these the same, or do I need to look elsewhere.

mrdhud 05-01-2017 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by Flyrc67 (Post 12332343)
Thanks Stickbuilder , just what I was looking for. Appreciate you taking the time to do the comparisons. One additional question regarding the second generation wing profile you referenced. Where do I find these. I have the version from the outerzone. Are these the same, or do I need to look elsewhere.

Flyrc67 I have the templates for the wing ribs Stickbuilders is talking about let me find them and I will post them with pictures.

mrdhud 05-01-2017 08:03 PM

Well, don't think much about this new forum I can't figure out how to upload pictures

tih 05-01-2017 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by mrdhud (Post 12332405)
Well, don't think much about this new forum I can't figure out how to upload pictures

It seems you can't do that in the "Quick reply" form at the bottom of the page -- but if you click "Go advanced", or click the "Quote" button in a message to reply to it, you'll get a paper clip icon in the menu, and be able to upload attachments.

VOX 05-02-2017 06:21 AM

Hi all!Has anybody photographs or drawings of the original chassis Waco aircraft?
Albert

tmac48 05-02-2017 02:22 PM

6 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by VOX (Post 12332528)
Hi all!Has anybody photographs or drawings of the original chassis Waco aircraft?
Albert

Vox I contacted Waco classic aircraft in the past and they were only to happy to supply me with some photos of aircraft in the shop at various stages of construction. I,m sure that if you sent them photos of what you have done so far they would most likely be very helpful. This is what I have in mine.
Regards tmac48