RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   babcock escapements (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/4763304-babcock-escapements.html)

1 builder 09-18-2006 01:44 PM

babcock escapements

Is it possible to hook up an escapement to a modern receiver?...I am finishing a 1953 Trixter Beam...

grotto2 09-18-2006 03:12 PM

RE: babcock escapements

Yes, but....

It depends on how bad you want to do it and how much money you're willing to spend.

It also will depend on how much fidelity to antique flight you wish to achieve versus the reliability of modern components.

1 builder 09-18-2006 04:01 PM

Someone was wondering if the Trixter Beam I was finishing was a kit or from plans...It is from a kit, which was framed up but needed some repair...I needed to make a vert. stab and rudder, but other than that it was in good shape...I'm not sure when the kit was built, but it is built with ambroid glue...I also have the original plans and the box the kit came in...It is being finished in tissue and dope...I will be using a 1970s era Futaba AM radio with a OS 10LA engine...I'll try to get some pictures...I also have a 1958 Berkley Piper Comanche in the box... It is complete!...The price on the box is $8.50...Any idea what this is worth?...

ronrange 09-18-2006 06:59 PM

$8.50 sounds like a fair price to me. Consider it sold. :>)

Thanks for the feedback on the Beam. Looking forward to pics.

CoosBayLumber 09-18-2006 08:03 PM

I think you got taken. The price tag on my Berkeley Comanche says $4.95. When For took over the daily operations in 1960 they upped the price of all kits $1 Didn't mean they would sell any faster.

There is a fellow who once advertised in an RCU classifieds a gizmo that you could plug into a receiver, and create an electronic switch. Considering the modern receivers weigh even less now, this may be the way to go. He was selling it to boaters, for use in turning on lights. The modern model boater has little use today for escapements.

Wm.

1 builder 09-18-2006 09:25 PM

ORIGINAL: CoosBayLumber

I think you got taken. The price tag on my Berkeley Comanche says $4.95. When For took over the daily operations in 1960 they upped the price of all kits $1 Didn't mean they would sell any faster.

There is a fellow who once advertised in an RCU classifieds a gizmo that you could plug into a receiver, and create an electronic switch. Considering the modern receivers weigh even less now, this may be the way to go. He was selling it to boaters, for use in turning on lights. The modern model boater has little use today for escapements.

Wm.
CBL you got a deal on your Comanche...I say this because I have a copy of Model Airplane News from Sept. 1958 with a list price of $8.95 for the Berkley Comanche...By the way this kit is 2 years older than I am...1 Buider

CoosBayLumber 09-18-2006 10:04 PM

My Cessna 170 has a grease pen marking of $7.95 on the box for it. Got it from a friend back decades ago. He actually made a profit off of selling it to me, for the store was going out of business and everything was 1/2 price.

Wm.