RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   Morton M-5 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/545234-morton-m-5-a.html)

rcflyerfl 02-09-2003 11:26 PM

Morton M-5

A friend of mind ask to to find out about a Morton M-5 engine.
He wants to know it's value. I know it depends on condition, is the box, manual all there. Any help out there.
I do remember them at a Hobby Shop back it the late 40's early 50's. Don't believe they were very dependable as a model engine.
Is there a web site for old engines.
Thanks

Art S. 02-09-2003 11:55 PM

Morton M-5

They are not seen often but, when they emerge, they go for anywhere between $750 and up to, perhaps, $1000. As you said, condition is the limiting factor.

Art Schroeder

Tippie 02-10-2003 01:23 AM

Morton M-5

The original purpose of the Morton M-5 was to be a training prop for aircraft powerplant mechanics on radial engines during WWII (The big one). There weren't enough real engines to spare so they used the miniatures to train on.

Tippie 02-14-2003 02:52 AM

Morton M-5

I did a little search "morton m5" (no dash between m and 5)
Engine was made by Morton Brothers Aviation, Omaha, NE. They made bi-planes back in the 30's-early 40's. I grew up across the river from Omaha in Council Bluffs and I remember years ago people in the hobby around there having M-5's and that they were made in Omaha. As my previous post, they were primarily made as a teaching tool rather than intended for model airplanes. One place you might contact about them as far as possible price info.
Go to: www.mecoa.com It is the "Model Engine Company of America" or also known as RJL Industries. Go to the bottom of their page and click on "contact us" to see they can tell you. Not much else in the search other than machinists making castings for the engine and building them from scratch. RJL's address is: RJL Industries, P.O. Box 5, Sierra Madre, CA 91025

EASYTIGER 02-14-2003 03:14 AM

Morton M-5

Mecoa is not really a great source, they will want to buy and resell your engine...
The Morton M5 is much more common than you would expect. Quite a lot of them were made, and many more were sold as kits. About ten years ago, they fetched something on the order of up to $2000 for a really nice one, with mount, papers, metal prop, the whole shebang. Nowadays, a lot of them have come out of the woodwork, and a top quality one might go for $1250 or so. If it is a kit built one, then less. A bargain price on one would be $750.
In spite of it being such a neat and old engine, it's not altogether that RARE, and I think most of the guys who were looking for one have already found one, hence the price drop...
All the best,
Curtis

BigRagu-Delete 02-15-2003 04:16 AM

Morton M5

My Father had just sold his, w/ Stand, Prop, Papers for $3,200.
So don't give it away . . .it's "Very Collectable"

BigRagu

EASYTIGER 02-15-2003 04:19 AM

Morton M-5

Yow! That's a record, far as I have seen.
Must have been a VERY nice one.
Too right, though...don't give it away!

Art S. 02-15-2003 05:39 AM

Morton M-5

Just goes to show you. My max agrees with the Anderson Blue Book @ 1K. At $3200, the price is almost as obscene as a $300+ Esquire kit on another popular internet site. But, it all surely shows that whatever you have to sell is only limited by what someone is willing to pay. Now where did I store that Morton of mine?

Art Schroeder

rcflyerfl 02-15-2003 11:17 AM

Morton M5

Thanks to all that replied to my question. Where else could I find an answer to my Question. And learn a history lesson at the same time.
Not sure how must they cost when I seen them in the Local Hobby Shop but was making $12 a week an a Bicycle was more important.
Again Thanks,
Jim

ajcoholic 02-16-2003 03:41 AM

Morton M-5

I witnessed Woody Bartelt (the current MECA pres) sell two of then in good shape (not mint) at the Toledo show last year for $1500 US each if memory serves me well.

I allmost had one for $1100 with a bunch of spare parts (cylinders and case castings) but someone beat me to it.

Ebay is your best bet to get the most $$ in my opinion. Hell, some guy paid me $125 US for a Deezil once! :)

Andrew

doom 03-21-2003 02:22 AM

m5

I would,nt mind having a m-5 just for the heck of it if I could
find one.I,m not a collector so I have,nt the urge to spend a
ridiculous sum for one.I would buy one at a resonable price.A
guy in my club has one he come across for decent price,but he
had to do alot of work and get some parts to get it to run.
Something about the rod pin nuts backing off.Looked cool and
sounded good sitting there running,So if anyone runs across one
priced resonable,clue me in.

japray 12-30-2017 05:32 PM

Looking for parts for morton m5s

warbird51 01-21-2018 05:55 PM

I have a Morton M5 that was my Dads. He flew it in a Scale Waco UPF7 that was control line. This was in the 60’s. I remember how quiet it ran

leflyer 01-12-2019 06:14 PM

I've recently acquired a Morton M5 Radial engine. It is not complete as it's missing a few parts like a couple of push rods and a couple of rocker arms but the engine is all together and turns over smoothly,but I'm interested to know if you know the specific age or date of manufacture of the engine I now own.The case is stamped with A557 and from what I can gather this engine was assembled andrun by the factory. Other engines that were produced and sent out as kits did not include the letter A.Thank you for any information you might have.

Matzito 01-15-2019 08:39 AM

Th M5 has a nice body to cylinder relation, often the earlier and smaller ones had only little pimples on a hughe body, the Morton looks more like a scale engine. Allways good to have one but as usual, if you wanna purchase one ity very expensive, but once you sell an old engine noone wanna give enough ;-)

I-fly-any-and-all 07-01-2019 03:18 PM

If you want Morton parts contact Mike white at 4356502226
his nneighbor recreated the Morton into a much more powerful engine. Lots of raw castings available and parts should fit.

partshunt 07-06-2020 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by I-fly-any-and-all (Post 12534882)
If you want Morton parts contact Mike white at 4356502226
his nneighbor recreated the Morton into a much more powerful engine. Lots of raw castings available and parts should fit.

I read your post last year and I called Mike White, looking for piston rings and other parts. I got nowhere because he did not sound eager to sell anything. I wonder if that status with him has since changed. Maybe he wanted a larger order. I have a set of new pistons to take rings.. Hope to hear some good news aboiut a source for M5 parts. Thanks for any response... Joe

I-fly-any-and-all 07-06-2020 09:27 PM

Bjorn took over the ring making business from frank bowman
[email protected]
rmjmachineworx.com