RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   orline sopwith pup (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/8163842-orline-sopwith-pup.html)

f4b4 11-19-2008 06:34 PM

orline sopwith pup

I have an Orline sopwith pup in the box, not aware of this kit or company.very nice looking kit.
Does this kit have any value?

HighPlains 11-19-2008 09:03 PM

RE: orline sopwith pup

About two bills. Same as the Fokker.

Someday I will learn how to spell.

Deadstik 11-20-2008 07:19 AM

I haven't seent the Pup fly, but the Fokker D7 was one of the easiest flying bipes I've ever flown. Was just like a BIG Cub. Could fly backwards and never stalled out with all that wing area. The Landings were a handful with the rubber band bounce built in to the wheel struts. The D7 is still about 200 when one comes up so I'd imagine the PUP would be about the same. As with ALL kits, it is only worth what someone really wants to pay for it. I'm sure someone here will send you a PM asking exactly what you want for it. Orline kits were builders kits in that you had to cut out all those little sticks... which I find a lot of fun.. but most, especially these days, don't

Dan
Carolina Custom Aircraft

RCplanman 11-23-2008 02:00 PM

f4b4
Re. your Orline Souwith Pup, I have one.Great flying old Bipe better then a Cub. I think I have OS70fs in it.
If you like to build you'll enjoy it. I would ask for about 300 you can always come down.
[email protected]
ama6416

f4b4 11-25-2008 01:34 PM

thanks guys ,thats what I needed to know
Jerry B.

Silver Flyer 11-29-2008 08:28 PM

I have just finished building an Orline Sopwith Pup after many hours of work and about six months time. It is a beautiful plane, covered mine with transparent yellow Mono so all that wood would be seen. It is the third Orline kit I have built since about 1979. All of the kits have inferior wood, balsa, and ply. requiring lots of replacing and lots of bracing. Mine had some warped longerons that I had to cut and rebrace for straightness. I laid in some carbon fiber strands in the center of the wings. 1/4" ply only three plys thick for dihedral braces, breaks when you look at it. BUT! when it was finished and I started to put it out for sell no one wants that kind of plane anymore, as Deadstick said you have to find some one who really wants to have a plane like that. I was told it was only worth only 150-200 bucks less motor and radio. I gave it to my son who put an OS Max 91FS in it and has been flying it every weekend since late Oct. He says it flys every bit as good as his Hobbico Mark III trainer and he loves it. With the short nose I had to add 2 pounds of lead to the front of the firewall to balance on the CG. ( I wish I had an Zenoa 26 gasser) it came out at a few ounces over 12 Lbs all up weight, less fuel. 14 Oz tank added later as 12 Oz not enough for very long in the air. Unless you are a "dedicated" builder with lots of time and have a very high level of tolerance I would steer clear of any Orline Kit no matter what price. Mine was given to me by a friend and I am retired and love to build so I put up with all the faults of the kit. My first Orline kit was a Liberty Stick, flew great but the wood was as hard as oak. My second was a Deweyville, it was the same kind of wood and flew real good with the early OS Max 60 4 cycle with exposed rockers. A real beauty. I have to say seeing this Pup " in the air almost makes it worth all the aggravation.

dennis 11-29-2008 11:22 PM

ORIGINAL: Silver Flyer

I have just finished building an Orline Sopwith Pup after many hours of work and about six months time. It is a beautiful plane, covered mine with transparent yellow Mono so all that wood would be seen. It is the third Orline kit I have built since about 1979. All of the kits have inferior wood, balsa, and ply. requiring lots of replacing and lots of bracing. Mine had some warped longerons that I had to cut and rebrace for straightness. I laid in some carbon fiber strands in the center of the wings. 1/4" ply only three plys thick for dihedral braces, breaks when you look at it. BUT! when it was finished and I started to put it out for sell no one wants that kind of plane anymore, as Deadstick said you have to find some one who really wants to have a plane like that. I was told it was only worth only 150-200 bucks less motor and radio. I gave it to my son who put an OS Max 91FS in it and has been flying it every weekend since late Oct. He says it flys every bit as good as his Hobbico Mark III trainer and he loves it. With the short nose I had to add 2 pounds of lead to the front of the firewall to balance on the CG. ( I wish I had an Zenoa 26 gasser) it came out at a few ounces over 12 Lbs all up weight, less fuel. 14 Oz tank added later as 12 Oz not enough for very long in the air. Unless you are a "dedicated" builder with lots of time and have a very high level of tolerance I would steer clear of any Orline Kit no matter what price. Mine was given to me by a friend and I am retired and love to build so I put up with all the faults of the kit. My first Orline kit was a Liberty Stick, flew great but the wood was as hard as oak. My second was a Deweyville, it was the same kind of wood and flew real good with the early OS Max 60 4 cycle with exposed rockers. A real beauty. I have to say seeing this Pup " in the air almost makes it worth all the aggravation.

your comments about the quality of Orline kits is accurate to a fault. Your still being too kind about the quality of their wood. I liked the fact that you used an OS60 open rocker on your Deweyville as I had the same combination. What I found out very quickly was that as the temperature went up the flaps came down or the thing didn't have enough umph to maintain altitude. But I wore out sets of wheels doing repetative touch and goes with that plane. For all the shortcomings of orline kits they were nice flyers. Now if you want to talk about their real dog talk about the quarter scale Fairchild 22. I saw at least 3 of them fold their wings when built using ths stock set up for the wings.
Dennis

AIRPLANENUTS 03-11-2009 10:01 AM

Guys,

I have purchased what probably is a built Orline 1/5 scale Sopwith Pup this weekend. 67" wingspan.
I'm trying to find a cowl (will probably have to make one myself), the cg and the decalage specs. If you can help me with this info, I would certainly
appreciate it. She'll need a little work, but I'm looking forward to it. I can post some pics later.

Thanks,
Rick

AIRPLANENUTS 03-11-2009 07:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here she is:

BrentP 04-18-2009 11:50 PM

I bought one of these the other day. I haven't dug in to the box and I'm no expert but the balsa doesn't look bad at a glance. Some of the ply looks pretty bad.
I like WW1 stuff and the price was right for a complete kit with accessorries. I talked a member of my club into selling it. He is a seasoned scratch builder and had nothing bad to say about the kit. I can live with replacing a bit of wood.
I'm an arf and not a kit builder, but the plans look good and the instructions seem fine and clear too.

I will convert it to electric and try and reduce some weight where I can. Hopefully jamming some lipos in the gas tank area will reduce the lead for CG and hopeully I can get it in the 10lb range.
It will be a labour of love. And there is no hurry.

duradad 10-19-2010 09:00 PM

I have an old build Orline Pup that I just acquired, set up and test flew this week. The wing saddle on this one had been cut up quite a bit, apparently in an attempt to make it fly. I redid the lower wing saddle and set in at 0 degrees to the horizontal stab (measure with level on bottom/flat wing/tail surface. Then I set the top wing to + 1 degree but was considering setting it at 0 as well,. I have a few degrees of Down thrust in the engine (ST 90). I checked the wing and found no washout, so I left it that way.

The airplane took off and climbed straight out and flies very level at cruise. All trims near neutral. so I decided to leave the top wing at +1. This plane weights 10.5 pounds RTF.

I'm also looking for a cowl.

no1isnormal 11-17-2011 06:57 PM

I know this is an old thread but if anyof you guys have access to a manual for this aircraft, Would you be willing to sell it, or scan me a copy? I recently aquired a kit minus manual.