RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Golden Age, Vintage & Antique RC (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/)
-   -   Q: Carl Goldberg Falcon 56 (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/golden-age-vintage-antique-rc-196/8200415-q-carl-goldberg-falcon-56-a.html)

-JJH- 12-01-2008 01:25 AM

Q: Carl Goldberg Falcon 56

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
Me and my father found a totally unassembled RC-kit (please see the pictures) from an attic, there were no date-information on the box. But through some questions around the family, we were able to find out that this kit belonged to my grandfathers brother, who fiddled with these RC-planes in his youth. He stated himself that he quit when he was around 20 yrs old and today, he is already celebrating his 70th birthday. Thus this would mean that this kit is approximately from a timeframe 1955-1960 - is this possible?

Other thing, that of course interests us, is the value of this kit (though were not selling this anwyay, just out of an interest) - the kit is totally unassembled, all balsa-parts, nylon-fabric hinges etc. are there and still in their "frames", all blocks of wood are there, without a scratch, the canopy is just beautiful - I mean, this kit is FULLY unassembled. The instructions sheet is there. Only flaw that we noticed are the decals - decades in the attic has made the decals VERY brittle and practically useless.

All information concerning this kit would be highly welcomed!

-JJ-

maxpower1954 12-01-2008 02:49 AM

RE: Q: Carl Goldberg Falcon 56

That's the first generation Falcon 56, which was introduced in mid-1962. The early version like yours had a narrow firewall, because of the smaller engines favored back in the day. It was made wider in the late 60s/early 70s. In 1978 the Mark II was introduced. The Falcon 56 is still available as an ARF!

The early ones like yours seem to go for 200-250 USD on that certain well-known auction site. If you ever wanted to build it Callie Graphics can scan the old decals into mylar for a very reasonable price. Russ Farris

-JJH- 12-01-2008 05:05 AM

Thanks, maxpower1954. The year 1962 fits fairly well to the possible time-frame, which was initially though to be around 1955-1960 - but early 1960s is close enough.

I think I'll never build this one at all. Considering that this is original first gen kit, I'd rather just buy balsawood myself and build a copy :)

-JJ-

boberos 12-01-2008 08:50 AM

Good idea to preserve the original kit.
Suggestion- Beef up the wing spar a bit. They were know to be a little weak in that area.
Bob

squeakalong 12-01-2008 10:19 AM

You can add 1/16" sheet balsa, sized for each rib bay with grain vertical, and glued to the spars. Take the time to make these shear webs fit snug and run them all the way across the wing; this will add reinforcement to the wing. I have built three of the Falcon 56 models over time and really enjoyed them all. Try a second wing with half the called for dihedral for a bit sportier flying model.

Soft landings.

Joe

aerowoof 12-01-2008 06:23 PM

actually the spars in the mark ll version were three pieces the center piece was balsa capped with bass or spruce top and bottom.i would just replace both spars with solid bass or spruce.I learned to fly on the one I built in 1970,still intact today except for the fin.never a failure.weighed about 5 1/2 pounds with the silk and dope covering and 8 ounces of lead to balance it.

Cherokee Flyer 12-01-2008 07:46 PM

Just as an FYI, those were flown single channel and cost $9.95. Built several in the 65 time frame. Have fun, they flew well.
L.

skylark-flier 12-01-2008 09:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
JJ, You've definitely got a classic there!!! I wouldn't be at all afraid to built this plane today, right from your kit, but I would take the advice you've already gotten - spruce spars, a bit of re-enforcement on the vertical fin, etc. Also, pay particular attention to the landing gear - make sure EVERY contacting edge of the gear mounting plywood is attached to the plane with epoxy and preferably re-enforced a bit with a small strip of wood (any will do, but balsa is lightest).

I've got a Sr. Falcon myself, built and flying constantly since 1974. The difference between the Falcon-56 and the Sr. Falcon is size - wingspan on the Sr. Falcon is 69", vs your 56. Mine also incorporates one of the items mentioned previously - ZERO dihedral - and she'll do almost any maneuver that a pattern ship will do, although not as well (she is, after all, an advanced trainer - not a competition pattern plane).

Got some pics of my lady below. The red-white-blue version is as she looked when brand new (April 1974), the green-white pics are after her latest re-covering. You'll note that the nose section on the green-white is missing some wood - that's what happens when a plane's been flying for nearly 35 years, she's had a few hard landings but never even one major crash.

Yeah, most definitely, built your lady - and fly her. She's a sweet design and an awful lot of fun.

Dave

Aurora_60 12-02-2008 12:16 AM

I really like that white and trans. green on your sr. Falcon!
Beautiful job!

DM

skylark-flier 12-03-2008 07:55 AM

I thank you, kindly. Actually, when I first recovered her SIG had come out with a plane (can't remember the name, but then I can only occasionally remember my own) that was finished this way - loved it, and did the Falcon that way too. She's awful impressive in a low & slow fly-by - always gets a lot of oooooooohs and aaaaaaaahs.

warbird2 12-03-2008 03:45 PM

JJ, I have the same kit from the old days. My box is identical.

I am planning to build her and fly her with a Veco 19, original.
Guidance is a Kraft series 73, 6 ch. Single stick.

I have learned to fly by myself with this plane in 1969. No teacher, the plane lasted the summer, and finally lost her in a tree top - she just sat there really out of reach. I went home without a plane
I was flying out of a dirt road in the country.

RP

rcacro 12-03-2008 05:06 PM

Here is another photo of the model that was pictured on the kit box. Carl Goldberg on the right and I am holding the model.

John Wisniewski
Scottsdale, Az.

JeffH 12-04-2008 08:13 AM

Does anyone know why the vertical fin changed shape with the MK II? The original tail looks so much better, at least to me.
I learned to fly on a MKII way back when.

BobHH 12-04-2008 12:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep the vertical fin did change as well as the airfoil slightly. Now if you need info on the original go up one post to RCACRO post and ask him. If you pull your original plans out and look under the designers and test pilot you will see his name listed!!! I suppose that makes him an expert on the Falcon 56!!!!:D

Bob Harris

Here is a picture of of Dave Platt with his Falcon 56 at the MidSouth VRCS fly-in.

warbird2 12-04-2008 01:18 PM

John, Sorry, I could not see the picture. I wish I did.

I came into contact with rc planes in Toronto around 67-68. One of the flyer flew a Falcon 60. When I decided to build one, I built the 56. Congratulation for such a good flyer! When all failed I let go and the plane righted itself each time. I flew it with 3 ch. So many good memories
Silk and dope/ My plane was blue.

Ray

proptop 12-04-2008 05:13 PM

I have a kit of the Mk. III and plan on reverting the vert. to original shape...

Just what is the difference though between the airfoil shapes? (Or should I even worry about it? )
I'd like to build mine as close to the original as possable...my 1st r/c airplane was a Falcon 56 in 1974...it was an early kit with the fixed (not steerable ) nose gear and rubber banded-on tail.

rcacro 12-04-2008 08:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's the photo that for some reason did not show in the earlier post

John Wisniewski

calmat 12-04-2008 10:34 PM

Lots of nostalgia in these posts. Over the years i have had 4 or 5 of these great old planes. They all flew great The full size Falcon was a gentle pleasure to fly. The most recent Falcon 56 i had suffered from the weak wing spar problem. After cracking the wing i rebuilt it as a Falcon 44 and it flew even better..If you click on my gallery of photos i think there are pictures of before and after its final flight.

tweedy 12-04-2008 11:45 PM

To RCACRO

Just wondering if you knew R. Jess Krieser? I have liked his models (My first R/C was a 1/2a Skysquire)and know he had some involvement in the development of the Skylark-Falcon and I believe his 1/2a skylane was the inspiration for the Goldberg 1/2a Skylane. I have learned very little about him other than Bill Northrop told me that he had passed away may years ago. I wondered if his son was still involved in the hobby? I had thought he was a good candidate for induction into AMA hall of fame but it really would take someone with more Bio. info on him than I have.

Richard Browning

maxpower1954 12-05-2008 03:12 AM

ORIGINAL: JeffH

Does anyone know why the vertical fin changed shape with the MK II? The original tail looks so much better, at least to me.
I learned to fly on a MKII way back when.
The vertical fin changed to swept-back because it looked more "modern" - the same reason why in 1960 Cessna did the same to its airplanes, except the 180 and 150. There is no aerodynamic reason for it on a lightplane, or a model. Russ Farris

HighPlains 12-05-2008 04:00 AM

This is the first generation kit of the classic. Quickly replaced by the "deluxe" kit that calls out bigger engines. I would like a copy of the plans or a kit. It must have been a nice flying model at 3 1/2 pounds and 6 channels of reed, but I would like to try one with rudder control and a Cox .09 engine.

I've got a Citizen-Ship and Orbit 6 channel sets, and it would have been very tight under the wing for those radio sets.

Lifer 12-08-2008 07:26 AM

I've got a markII kit, new in the box I need to sell. Not looking to retire on the sale, either. Would anybody be interested?

John

mobyal 12-08-2008 10:04 AM

John
Sent you a PM.
Al

Thomas B 12-09-2008 10:01 AM

The Falcon 56 was my first trainer in 1968. My dad built most of it, but I did some as well (I was 12 and had been building C/L and F/F model since the age of 7 or 8.) Ours was powered by a Super Tigre G.23 R/C and controlled by a Heathkit GD-19 radio that we also built.

A great model. Ours needed a good bit more downthrust than the stock model showed....or a shim under the LE of the stab.....that was a common tweak as I recall.

The original kit is worth somewhere in between 53 and 211 bucks, according to the kit collector price guide. (The high end is the highest known sales price on ebay and the lowest might represent a kit in no so great condition.)

http://webpages.charter.net/skylane42/price.html

Lifer 12-10-2008 06:45 AM

I'm right in the middle of that range. $105 plus shipping. NIB and in excellent condition.