Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

TF Giant P47 Retracts

Old 12-28-2010, 12:20 PM
DennisS
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TF Giant P47 Retracts

Installing the Robart 622 retracts on the plane. When the retracts sit in the wing, on the mounting blocks, they do not close all the way into the wing due to wheel hitting against the top (inside) wing surface. Is there a recommended solution? If I put spacers in the front of the mounting block, it throws the landing gear positioon back about 3 inches when they are extended. This will cause all types of problems I imagine. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:28 PM
bingo field

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: TF Giant P47 Retracts

http://www.robart.com/products/top-f...-main-retracts

This is the set that Robart makes specifically for the TF GS Thunderbolt.

Below is taken from the Tower P47 page:

" A small portion of the Robart landing gear protrudes from bottom of wing when retracted.

The design and installation as specified are reasonable for a sport scale airplane. The entire gear, wheel and mechanism are fully within the wing, except for that portion of the strut that bends out and around the wheel, which protrudes something like ΒΌ". To get the strut completely inside the wing, it would have required thickening the wing or placing the wheel right where the spar is. Both of these alternatives would have been costly and the second would have added much complexity. Robart now offers an optional specialized strut, which we do not carry. Call Robart directly to order. "

If you read around on these forums, there is likely a description of what someone else had done to get around this.
Old 12-29-2010, 07:29 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you're using these gears: Robart 622P47 MAINS TF GIANT P-47, then it's normal for them to protrude a bit. Please remember that you do not have an exact-scale model, but a sport-scale model that was primarily designed to fly well and be a close replica of a P-47.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:18 AM
DennisS
My Feedback: (40)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Protruding is not the problem. The problem is that when they are retracted into the wing, they hit against the upper inside wing surface, not allowing them to lock into position. You are flying with retracts that potentialy are not locked in position. Upon further review of the TF instruction manual, the pictures of the gear that are installed, are NOT Robart P47 622 gears, they are actually Robart gears for the P51 Mustang. The strut is curved, allowing the wheel to sit higher in the wheel well. I may try and order the lower struts from the P51 Mustang from Robart to see if this solves the problem.