Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

Great Planes Big Stik 60 ARF issues poor quality control

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 06:30 AM
ita47
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes Big Stik 60 ARF issues poor quality control

I know this is the kit forum but I didn't know where to post this. I recently purchased a Great Planes Big Stik 60 ARF. When I unpacked everything and looked it over I was pretty disappointed with the quality control. The wing root on the wings is made from lite-ply, not standard plywood. I don't understand using lite-ply in a structural area that takes that much stress. The worst part is the outer ply of one of the tabs is loose (no glue). The next problem I found was around the firewall. There is a 1/16-1/8" gap between the firewall and the side of the fuse. It looks like they were in a hurry and didn't clamp it to pull the pieces together. There is a former in the fuse that has a similar gap. The wing root tab I can probably repair, but the gaps in the fuse really concern me. A person shouldn't have to repair a $200 ARF. Here are some pics, my camera won't focus real close, sorry. I contacted Great Planes airsupport but haven't heard back from them.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bs7.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	222.8 KB
ID:	1916585   Click image for larger version

Name:	bs8.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	1916586   Click image for larger version

Name:	bs9.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	1916587   Click image for larger version

Name:	bs3.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	196.5 KB
ID:	1916588   Click image for larger version

Name:	bs4.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	184.7 KB
ID:	1916589  
Old 09-17-2013, 09:21 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The fastest service would be via a phone call to Product Support: (217) 398-8970

They'll give you the available options. You can also ask your retailer about returning the kit, if you haven't started it, yet.