Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

Discontinued Kits

Old 12-11-2005, 09:58 AM
ma_mulcahy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Discontinued Kits

Question for Bill Baxter:

I am a big fan of both GP and TF kits. With the rise of ARFs and decline in kit products, I feel it appropriate to start purchasing ahead for my kit building activities. Is there any possibility that we can get forewarning regarding the kits to be taken out of production before it happens? That will enable all of us to purchase kits via normal channels such as Tower or LHS and not have to resort to paying high auction prices on ebay, etc.

Can you help us out here?

Thanks.

Mike
Old 12-12-2005, 11:19 AM
Sport_Pilot

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Discontinued Kits

Might help to sell some kits as well.
Old 12-12-2005, 11:24 PM
prgonzalez

What I love more about this hobby is the building part. Perhaps I enjoy it 75% building and 25% flying or maybe 80/20. Building kits and custom covering is a form of expressing our success, emotions, creativity, and love for the hobby.

These days, I am concerned with all these kits that are being discontinued. We understand that companies need to make profits, but abandon a market segment (kit building) should not be the solution either. For modelers like us, please provide an alternative different that ARFs.

Sincerely,

Pedro
Old 12-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Sport_Pilot

Since ARF's are cheaper from overseas, what about kits from overseas? Seems many kits are made here instead of overseas. Maybe they can be made cheaper overseas as well?
Old 12-13-2005, 05:35 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Even in the service department, we don't know if an item's going to be discontinued until the decision's actually made. Depending upon the item, the remaining stock will sell out quickly or slowly. We have no idea what items may be in consideration...only once the announcement's been made.
Old 12-13-2005, 08:59 PM
saramos

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How about this for an alternative. When a company chooses to discontinue a kit, make the kit design and parts templates public domain. This way, the kits can be continued by those willing to cut their own parts, or for kit cutters to offer. I doubt this will ever happen, but it sounds good. Or, more realistically, if they sell or license the rights and tooling at a low enough price for others to continue the line.

Scott
Old 12-14-2005, 05:11 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This discussion doesn't belong in the kit support forum. I cannot provide the answers some are looking for, and the questions and discussion belong in the general kits forum. This forum is for people to ask for help with the Great Planes, Top Flite, and DynaFlite kits they are working with. I am in Support, and do not have anything to do with the planning, marketing, or production of the kits. I can only pass on coments to those who do such things, who will make a decision based upon criteria than I would not be aware of.

So I'm locking this thread. Please feel free to continue this discussion in the general kits forum.

Thank you.