Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

Current status of Monokote

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2006, 03:02 PM
rcprecision
My Feedback: (6)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Current status of Monokote

Dear Topflite,

In the last two years out of the last 25+ years of using Monokote I have been very disappointed in the appearance of Monokote after it's applied to a fully sheeted wing surface.

The long and short of this inquiry is that I am ready to purchase covering to complete my latest pattern plane project. I am very apprehensive about choosing Monokote for this project. I would like to be reassured that the issue outlined in the attached thread (http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_3966929/tm.htm) has been addressed and resolved.

If this has been resolved please indicate how do I identify rolls at the local retailer that do not exhibit the traits I have experienced.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo39883.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	498246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pl32605.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	498247  
Old 08-02-2006, 11:38 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Current status of Monokote

Please be aware that this is the Support area run by the Top Flite, Great Planes, Hobbico reps.

As far as MonoKote is concerned, it has been going thorough quality assurance testing. All rolls received by your hobby retailer in the past 60 days or so are of the highest quality. There is no "old" stock at the Manufacturing/packaging facilities. As processes change to comply with EPA and CPSC regulations, formulations have changed. We have been continually-testing the product for performance. Current-production Monokote is as good as Monokote has ever been.
Old 08-04-2006, 09:21 AM
rcprecision

Bax,

Appreciate the response. I need to be a little more specific in nature. In your response you stated and I quote:

!QUOT!As processes change to comply with EPA and CPSC regulations, formulations have changed. We have been continually-testing the product for performance. Current-production Monokote is as good as Monokote has ever been.!QUOT!

Should I assume then the symptom seen in the attached pic is a non issue now. This granular appearance caused by uneven application of the adhesive to the back of the Monokote is what I am trying to avoid. The rolls of Monokote that exhibit this trait have speckles, fish eyes of glue that do not go away when applied. The underside of the wing of the plane in my original post has good and bad Monokote on the same prepared sheeted surface. The bad Monokote exhibits the same trait as in the attached pic.

I have four different rolls of black Monokote with this glue issue. Two of these rolls were sent to me by you after our 2005 conservation regarding this issue which you kindly exchanged. Is there a way to identify this trait by a batch number, date code for example when I visit my local retailer? If I were to order from Tower and discover this trait after opening the roll and examining can the rolls be returned and exchanged at no cost me?

Name:	Jh16560.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	501549  
Old 08-04-2006, 01:31 PM
Bax

Defective Monokote can most certainly be sent to us and we'll replace it!

We've been working very hard with the manufacturer to make sure no more "granular" Monokote gets out there. We've seen it mostly happen now and again in the Reds. The "water spotting" should also be a non-issue.

There's no way to tell when Monokote was made by examining the package or label. We can only state that good material is currently being shipped.
Old 08-07-2006, 02:24 PM
guylookingup

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am building a Super Sportster 90/120 from a kit I purchased 10 years ago. I am finishing up on the wings and I need to epoxy the dihedral braces and wings together. The instructions say that 30-minute epoxy is necessary. I have 20-minute epoxy but do see there is 30-minute epoxy available. Is it acceptable for me to use 20-minute or do I have to buy some 30-minute epoxy for this task?

Thank you for your assistance!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:09 AM
Bax

20-minute should be OK, but the longer, the better.
Old 08-21-2006, 10:46 PM
rcprecision

Bax,

Based on your responses to my inquiry I have ordered and received a fresh batch of Monokote from Tower. The appearance of the backing does not visually have the uneven adhesive "fish eyes" symptoms I described. I will provide an update once I have the chance to iron on a test piece from each roll.

2 dark red
1 cub yellow
2 black

Old 01-07-2007, 07:26 AM
oceansfiftyseven

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought 4 rolls from the lhs. 1 black-fine, 1 white-fine, 2 sky blue-both have the fish-eye glue on the back. It still worked ok for me though.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:12 PM
rcprecision

Better late than never...

After returning the last two batches of Monokote I purchased thru tower the most recent replacements I received met my expectations. The product performed as it had in the past using my same application techniques.

Something was definitely different with the Monokote I had purchased over the last couple of years. I am glad the product is back to what I would consider as original quailty.

Old 06-10-2008, 06:26 PM
rcprecision

Wings, stabs and rudder done with TF Monokote...

Name:	Hf99559.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	968239   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zu65719.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	588.0 KB
ID:	968240   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw57827.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	223.7 KB