Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

Great Planes F4U Corsair 40 kit

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 06:01 AM
riadh

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Great Planes F4U Corsair 40 kit

I am wondering if any one has tried to modify the build of this kit to add a set of flaps to the wing.If so how would one do that ?What do you suggest ;split flaps or modify the trailing edge and use hinge flaps?Do you think the resulting flying characteristics of the plane would remain intact in addition to the added bonus of flaps?Cheers.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:05 AM
robflyer82
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Great Planes F4U Corsair 40 kit

I think flaps would be a bit tricky. Its got a strip ailerons that run the outer wing panel. If you used part of that area for flaps without increasing the depth they go into the wings, you would probably lose a lot of responsiveness. Mine flys very well without flaps and doesn't need them. If you go for it, let us know how it turns out.

Rob
Old 08-09-2007, 06:38 PM
riadh

Well I was more like thinking to leave the ailerons as they are and use the wing part closer to the fuselage for the flaps modification.Maybe something more like the Top flite kit.Mind you I havnt even opened the kit box yet and checked the plans.Probably taking a few millimeters from the width of the lower trailing edge ribs to accomodate the added thickness of split flaps and probably use robart higes.Interesting, but will it be excutable?? I will certainly report back if the modification is carried out.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:44 PM
riadh

sorry, duplicate
Old 08-13-2007, 02:17 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

This isn't a discussion forum.

Regarding flaps on the GP Corsair...it wasn't designed with them in mind. The model is small and light enough that they are not needed. The full-size Corsair and the larger models, like the Top Flite ones, have flaps that are in the curved part of the wing. They take a bit of fancy rigging to get them to operate correctly. We don't have any suggestions about how you'd install or rig them in the .40-size model.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:29 PM
riadh

Bax ,thank you for the info and sorry for late response as I was away from the nets .Well ,if i assume it was possible to add flaps for the sake of added excitement ,do you think that would deteriorate the flying characteristics of the plane?When I started the hobby some 30 years ago,I built a Eagle 40 kit ,don't remember its origin,and added flaps to it .The flaps were not part of the design. It flew great and would almost stop in mid air without stalling .When i returned to the hobby lately , I built a GP Easy sport 40 kit and when I did the same and added flaps, it didn't like that at all..
Old 09-19-2007, 05:33 PM
sainty22

What about retracts? Can they be installed?
Old 09-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Flaps weren't part of the sport nature of the model, so they weren't designed in. If you add your own, you won't hurt a thing. Retracts would be more difficult due to the size of the model. Also, they'd add weight you don't need in the sport model. This is not a true scale plane, but one that will look reasonably authentic when it's in the air.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:26 PM
brahmabird

I was wanting to build the GP F4U because I have love that kit for a long time. My flight instructor has suggested I not start that model at this time. Sence he told me that I have soloed and I am flying on my own. I was wandering if the kit would be that much harder to fly.