Community
Search
Notices
Great Planes, TopFlite, Duraplane, US Aircore Support from Bill Baxter for Great Planes distributed brands "Great Planes, TopFlite, DynaFlite, Duraplane & US Aircore"

Top Flite DC-3 with Top Flite retracts problem

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 06:11 AM
panagiotis.p

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top Flite DC-3 with Top Flite retracts problem

I'm currently building the Top Flite DC-3 kit, and when tried to install the Top Flite retracts as per the manual, there is not enough space for the wheel to completely retract into the nacelle. Seems that their design was made using the top view of the center wing section, where because of the downthrust of the firewalls, the distance between the aft gear rail and the back of the firewall clears the wheel. But this is not the case at the bottom, where obviously the wheel has to go. Is there any solution to this, other than:
1) trimming the firewall, or
2) moving back the aft gear rail?
If not, what should I choose? Weaken the firewall to a place not so important or rearrange the servo plate, that is placed aligned with the aft gear rail and hence affected?
The question is addressed to someone who has build the kit, anyone else will probably not understand the problem.
If anyone needs pictures, I can post some.

Thanks
Old 10-22-2008, 07:24 AM
Scar
My Feedback: (3)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Top Flite DC-3 with Top Flite retracts problem

Like this?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89130.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	1056844  
Old 10-22-2008, 09:24 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

We're not sure what you mean. The DC-3 did not have the wheels fully-retract. The bottom of the wheels stuck out of the nacelle when they were retracted. If you mean that there isn't enough room between the retract mount and the firewall, so that the gear won't fit behind the firewall, then you've gotten something wrong in the assembly of the kit. If you use the recommended retracts, and build according to the plans, the gear and wheel will fit. You'll need to double-check everything to see what went wrong.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:57 PM
thisoldman
My Feedback: (29)

i built this plane and everything fit fine.. the wheels do protrude out but that is the design of the dc3
Old 03-31-2009, 04:12 AM
panagiotis.p

OK, it seems there is a lot of misunderstanding here. I did took some pictures because I thought it would be nice to back up my problem with them, and I will post them along with some hand made designs to show the problem, which, yes, exists. Stay put... Will do along the day.
Old 04-09-2009, 03:48 PM
tlrguy

I understand what you are saying. I am almost complete with my TF DC3. I ran into the same "problem." Easy solution. Top Flite has no mention of this in the manual but it is obviously a reoccuring issue.

Add a strip of leftover 3/32 ply to the bottom of the front of the firewall. Using a dremel tool with a sanding bit, contour the firewall nicely to fit the wheel in the retracted position. Take out just a little more material than needed to allow room for the fiberglass reinforcement material to be added. As strong as could be, perfection!
Old 04-10-2009, 02:52 AM
panagiotis.p

Yes, thank you! That is also the solution to a "not that big problem after all" that I too followed. Check the following pictures. It is obvious that it is not very critical to remove some thickness from that place of the firewall, but you have to be very meticulous and carefull. On the last picture one can see what I mean by saying that the design didn't take into account the firewalls down thrust. The bottom nacelle plate protrudes from the firewall because it has the same dimensions as the top nacelle plate. Yet, since the firewall tilts aft, it doeasn't leave the appropriate space for the wheels. Anyway, I just wanted to point out that particular step for this kit, which in any other way I find very well detailed and well constructed.
The ruler is in the pictures because I also have the same ones from the plans, just to proove that the construction is followed by the book. If someone is in doubt, I can post these too.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec89105.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1177066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj28264.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1177067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sx61099.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	1177068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk23595.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	1177069   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kv16966.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	1177070  
Old 04-10-2009, 03:01 AM
panagiotis.p

tlrguy, do you really think I should also fiberglass the wheel well? I just epoxied it, twice. It is afterall covered by the nacelle skin, isn't it? And, since we're at it, did you follow the manual for the wings servos? I've found several other solutions in order to hide all the servo arms and linkages inside the wind, what did you do? (is there another thread for this?)
Old 11-22-2010, 06:01 AM
ancientenglish

I had the same problem but didn't want to cut anything or use smaller wheels so I reversed the hinge on the trailing leg which moved the pivot further aftandthe wheels drops straight in now.
Old 02-03-2013, 05:19 PM
tom_sandiego

I just got this kit today from one of our member in the club for 20 bucks :-) and looking for the build thread for this airplane too.
Tom
Old 02-04-2013, 08:48 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check in the general kit building forum or in the Scale forum. This is the manufacturer's technical support forum.