Notices
Helicopters - Full Scale Discuss full scale helicopters here

Motors For Home Made Drone to Lift 300lbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 06:10 AM
docman24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motors For Home Made Drone to Lift 300lbs

Hello I have been doing research and am trying to find a better way than trial and error to design a drone that I want.
i know that this will not be a cheap drone so for this purpose I just want to design it theoretically and build from there to keep cost down. I saw online a guy who made a drone with 8 motors and blades that could lift him and I would like to build one as well. My only problem is that I am having trouble finding the combination of motor and propellers that I need. Each motor and prop needs to lift 37.5 pounds. I am just wondering is there a mathematical way to figure out or is there a way better than trial and error to figure out the specs of the engine and prop size needed? His electrical motors looked like you could easily hold them in one hand and his props looked to be about 16 inches in diameter. And lets say I ever wanted to upgrade it to lift even more weight per motor and prop is there a way better than trial and error? i have been doing the research and I have not found a set way to figure out how much power and rpms that the engine needs to run at along with a set way to figure out what diameter and pitch of the blades needs to be. Any help and advice from you guys would be great. i was want to design it and then save the money to build it improving on my theoretical design until I can build it and test it and then improve from there.
So in short is there a way better than just trial and error to figure out what size electric motor (power and Rpms and any other information needed) and prop diameter and pitch to calculate the thrust the motor will put out to see if that motor will work or to go and find a new motor? Or just to find the correct motor and propeller combination for maximum thrust?

Thanks guys

Peace
Old 07-31-2016, 05:56 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ain't that simple. What is the approximate total weight you are looking at.
I'd make a wild guess that 200W per pound might be needed.
Assuming a 55lb limit (FAA) 11,000 watts would be needed.